1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer running lights stopped...going crazy!

Discussion in 'Towing' started by freebird4446, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Mar 19, 2015 at 10:29 AM
    freebird4446

freebird4446 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4L V6 250k miles
    I have a 2003 tacoma and recently started having a problem with my trailer lights. My left and right turn signals work, my brake lights work, but not my running lights!

My trailer running lights won't stay on. I have:
    1)replaced the plug that connects to the trailer
    2)checked all ground connections
    3)checked the bulbs-(tested them with a battery)
    4)check the wires all the way back to the connector
    5)checked all the fuses

I don't know what else to do! I got frustrated and I wired the brown wire from the trailer connector directly to the green/red striped wire on one truck brake light. One my trailer the brakes work, signals work, no running lights and it's not a ground/fuse. How could the running lights not work on the trailer if the left/right turn and brake lights work? The running lights work on the truck. Any advice is appreciated!

2. Mar 19, 2015 at 10:36 AM
    freebird4446

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4L V6 250k miles
    Yes, my truck running lights work. The connector is a 4 pin connector from the truck to the trailer and it has LED's on it that light up when the lights are active. They are telling me that the running lights are not lighting up from the truck side. I don't understand how the brake lights can work but the running lights don't...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  3. Mar 19, 2015 at 11:10 AM
    freebird4446

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4L V6 250k miles
    I have a multimeter and have checked the fuses twice. I have checked at the truck connections that the blinkers work, brakes work, but no running lights. I have been messing with the wiring and I think this is making things worse.

Things were working better but now...when I hit the left blinker it turns the flashers on the trailer, the right blinker does nothing, and the brakes turn the running lights on. Also when I'm using the blinker, the blinker stops when I start breaking. Going a bit crazy here!!!

4. Mar 19, 2015 at 11:22 AM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    Souds like a wiring/connection problem. Also, recheck ground. Easy way is use a jumper cable connected to the trailer and truck frame. Grounds cause weird stuff to happen.

5. Mar 19, 2015 at 3:07 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Is it an aftermarket harness for the trailer?
    Very possible the box has gone south.
    These nutso things happen when the box fries....
    Or if scotch locks were used to install the adapter the green goo could have come a knocking.

6. Mar 19, 2015 at 5:36 PM
    freebird4446

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4L V6 250k miles
    So here's where im at:

Left blinker works, right blinker turns the flashers on, brake lights work, no running lights.

If I could just find out how to fix my right blinker I'd be all set. Both blinkers are wired exactly the same...both connected to the right side blinker of my truck. I don't know why my right would effect the flashers and the left would be a normal blinker with the same hookup...

Products Discussed in

To Top