1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trailer wiring 2010 tacoma

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Markgru02919, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Mar 8, 2012 at 1:36 PM
    Markgru02919

Markgru02919 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    RI
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5 6cyl 4wd
    Hi Group, here is the background:
    I purchased a 2010 tacoma, 6 cyl, auto, access cab, 4wd 2 years ago new and have since installed a reese style trailer hitch on it. I recently purchased a trailer that will be used to pick up garden tractors as a hobby and transport my tractor, the most I am carrying is about 2K lbs. on the trailer.
    The trailer I purchased is a 5' x 10' with a 3500lb axle GVW 2995lbs. The trailer has an electric brake on it. Could someone help me out with the wiring? What kind of plug do I have to install on my truck to safely use the trailer with:

Running lights
    Stop Lights
    Directionals
    Electric Brake

There was a time when this would be an easy task, technology has changed so much and I have not kept up with it. I have read other threads on this board with 4 wires / converters etc and I am totally lost. Would someone help me out with a trailer wiring with electric brakes for dummys instruction set? I would appreciate it and if you are in RI I always have a few cold ones in the fridge.
    In addition I have to purchase new lights for the trailer and will also be rewiring the trailer. So any recommendations on a place to purchase decent light kits, and an aftermarket trailer light hookup kit with plugs for both the truck side and trailer side would be appreciated. I prefer to go after market and middle of the road quality due to this wonderfull economy.
    Finally, were would you make the connections tap into on the truck side?
    Thanks
    Mark

2. Mar 8, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    What's the trailer rated to haul? There should be a GVWR sticker on the trailer tongue telling you. You said the trailer has brakes but doesn't sound like it's big enough to require them. I'm not sure how this works legally, but if you don't need brakes, you could wire a standard 4-pin connection. These connections a cheap and easy to install on your truck. They just T into your tail lights and there's a little box convertor that does the rest. No wire splicing necessary.

Legally, I'm sure if the trailer comes with brakes, you aren't supposed to bypass them. Unfortunately for you, that means you need a 7 pin connection on your truck. If you aren't comfortable installing this yourself, you might want to look into having a place like Uhaul install this for you.

Products Discussed in

To Top