1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

trails in power/transmission line easements

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by taccat10, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Dec 4, 2018 at 10:59 AM
    taccat10

taccat10 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hello, I'm new here. I'm very familiar with many of the forest roads in the state but one thing that gets my attention everytime I see one are those power line easements that are cut out in perfect straight lines across the land. They appear to be wide open, appear to have trails and they actually look like really good shortcuts for getting around. I gather that they're private property in most cases but I never see access controlled. Are people using any of these for offroading or is that a no-no?

GA Power says recreational activities are acceptable uses of their easements but I don't think they own the land those easements are on and its not clear whether that list of acceptable uses is for the owner of the land the easement is on or if they are inviting anyone to use them as they do at certain recreational sites like around Lake Burton, for example.

xe-powerlines.jpg

Sorry for the duplicate images. I did not see them in the preview so I kept attaching them.

Attached Files:

2. Dec 4, 2018 at 1:28 PM
    Phryinghigh

Phryinghigh Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Reg Cab 4x4
    It's still private property. The trails are there for GA Power employees to inspect and maintain the distribution lines. A lot of it is owned by timber companies or non-local property owners, so reporting/enforcement of trespassing can be nonexistent a lot of times. So many people risk it. However, if someone does call it in and you get caught, it can be a trespassing charge depending on the officer. Possibly coupled with damaging property due to fourwheeling.

Also, easements for natural gas pipelines end up with trails on them a lot of the time for the same reason. The gas company will come out if anyone is driving over the lines. Especially if the area is soft mud and there is a possibility you sink down and strike their line. They take it more seriously than GA Power due to the lines being underground vs overhead.

I work in GIS/Right of Way Management so this comes up a lot. People get away with it frequently, but it's not legal.

TD90S and taccat10[OP] like this.
  3. Dec 4, 2018 at 5:55 PM
    taccat10

taccat10 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for your reply and the strong dose of common sense. I will play it safe and stay out of those.

Phryinghigh likes this.
  4. Dec 5, 2018 at 4:30 AM
    Phryinghigh

Phryinghigh Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Reg Cab 4x4
    You could always try getting permission from the property owner also. A lot of people in my area lease the property to others for hunting or other activities. You can check out who owns the property on your county's GIS page. It has an address listed for the property owner and I've sent letters to different people about various things such as purchasing or leasing land. Worst they can say is no.

taccat10[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Dec 7, 2018 at 10:48 AM
    taccat10

taccat10 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Definitely great tips and it would be something to consider if I didn't live 10 miles from a national forest and have acreage of my own with my own trails to use. I'm just tempted to use those ROWs as a shortcut to bypass red lights and traffic. :thumbsup:

Phryinghigh[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Dec 8, 2018 at 12:01 PM
    TD90S

TD90S Cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘18 TRDOR 6MT
    Haven’t done any wheeling on power lines but have used them for dualsport motorcycling. There is always a risk for a fine. My rule is I don’t go around gates or no trespassing signs. No gate or sign and I’ll take my chances. And as always be respectful.

Products Discussed in

To Top