1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tranni and transfer case sticks "pulse" with suspension

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by defleppardsg, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Sep 6, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    defleppardsg

defleppardsg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    texas
    Vehicle:
    2.7L SR5 4x4
    OME 880's, Wheeler's Offroad 5-Leaf pack. Bilstein 5100's, 1" Daystar shackles, Deck Plate Mod.
    I noticed something in my tacoma that I never noticed before.. When I was driving down the highway the other day, crusing in 5th gear, I noticed that my transmission shift stick and 4x4 stick both would rock slightly back and forth whenever I hit a bump and the car would briefly rock up and down.

I understand how the drivetrain is laid out and how it's all connected with the suspension, but should the movement of the suspension really travel up the stick? Or does it sound like something's loose? Anyone every notice this? is it normal? Been driving stick my whole life and never noticed this, so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks

2. Sep 6, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    meatman

meatman I deal with dead animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Murphy N.C.
    Vehicle:
    (built) 04 Tacoma SR5 4x4 and 01 TRD 4x4 DD
    Mine does it also, but i have an auto. I have read here that it is normal so I dont worry about it. It shocked me the first time i saw it. I also i live on gravel roads so it does it all the time comming to and from the house.

3. Sep 6, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Mine moves... if I'm cruising in fifth and let off momentarily it'll rock a little to the left (I think) and then when I hit the gas again it'll rock back to the right. In my case it's because when on the gas the engine is torquing the driveline one direction and if it's engine braking the wheels are doing the torquing in the opposite direction.

In your case I'd say the suspension moving upwards is shortening the driveline, pushing everything forward. It's probably normal, but you could try lubing the slip-yoke (or double cardan? not sure what came on what models of if that's even the name. Let's call it the "driveshaft slidey inney outey thingy" to be technical) and see if that helps.

4. Sep 7, 2011 at 6:19 AM
    defleppardsg

defleppardsg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    texas
    Vehicle:
    2.7L SR5 4x4
    OME 880's, Wheeler's Offroad 5-Leaf pack. Bilstein 5100's, 1" Daystar shackles, Deck Plate Mod.
    Thanks guys. You've eased my mind.

Products Discussed in

To Top