1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tranny SHUDDER Toyota Certified RIPOFF

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by applebmw, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Feb 23, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My DCLB is the same , I think it is the point where the TC locks / unlocks

2. Feb 23, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    miniceptor86

miniceptor86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    McGregor,IA
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue Prerunner Dbl cab
    TRD sport exhaust and cold air intake, nerf and bull bar, RideRide, ProEFX towing mirrors, BakFlip F1 trifold tonneau
    Ya as teneighty said, could be the shift point, what rpms at 40 mph? Early torque converter lock up at low rpms can result in feeling the engine through the chassis, steering and etc.

3. Mar 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM
    TXtycoon

TXtycoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRDOR
    I would definetly check the TC. Mine was doing the exact same thing last year. At low RPMs usually right before it up-shifted I was getting shudder. Took it to Toyota and they determined my torque converter was shot. Swapped out the entire tranny assembly under warranty and problem solved!

4. Mar 10, 2013 at 4:49 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Replacing the fluid is a good idea to assist in eliminating torque converter shudder making sure you use OEM fluid .
    Once all the fluid and filter has been replaced , use Lubeguard as a fluid enhancer / supplement.
    Professional transmission shops use Lubegaurd and the stuff works wonders .
    I wouldnt waste my time typing this out if it didnt work ! it works excellent
    http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-113/LUBEGARD+Platinum+Universal+ATF+Protectant

5. Mar 10, 2013 at 5:27 AM
    applebmw

applebmw [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lonnie
    Greenville, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    I changed all fluid, DEALER changed all fluid, NOW they say may need radiator at my $$$, waiting on test strip determine if water in any fluid.....water in radiator not low.....I have had a loaner car for almost 14days now...WTF ??

6. Mar 10, 2013 at 6:58 AM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    I am not sure if this is any help but my wifes FJ Cruiser had a stutter as it shifted between gears. A bit of research showed there is a design flaw in the tranny (dealer says its the same tranny as the tacoma). They had to replace the tranny at a cost of $6000 (warranty paid for it). It really made me question my sanity for keeping my Taco.

7. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    BM07TacoTRDsport

BM07TacoTRDsport New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    B-ry
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Yes, that's my problem exactly. I have about 122k miles on a 07 TRD sport. It feels like it's shifting (shuttering) in and out of gear, especially if I'm turning slightly or going up a slight incline while holding the throttle right at the 38-40 mark. If I push or let off the throttle or down shift into 4th it goes away. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

8. Mar 10, 2013 at 7:53 PM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    For whatever reason I was under the impression that your truck was newer and less miles... Anyway... A change of fluid may help and as some of the guys said the TC. Good luck! Next service I'm going to see what the guys at the dealership say about mine.

9. Mar 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM
    coolreed

coolreed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reed
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
    Goodyear Wrangler Dura Track Pro Tires, K&N Cold Air Intake, Pedal Commander.
    I have had two instances of shudder on my Taco and both times it was U-Joints (warrantied). I knew what it was. Several friends had the same issue with their Tacos.

Tranny Fluid does not make truck shudder.

'You AND the Dealership' should know better.

10. Mar 11, 2013 at 5:10 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Before everyone pinpoints the problem for the OP , what would it take to bring the truck in for a free diagnosis ?
    Hooking this critter up to a scanner and going for a drive really helps in narrowing the issue down .You can even press the movie feature on the scanner when the truck begins to vibrate/shudder and go back to the shop and watch it on a computer just like real time
    Diagnosing vibrations and shudders over a keyboard are impossible even though the op,s question sounds similar to the way our trucks have acted from time to time .
    Universal joints cause vibrations and shudders .
    Torque converter applications cause shudders in lock and unlock
    There are upshifting and downshifting shudders as well
    Transmission fluid can also cause shudders as it ages . There are friction modifiers in the trans fluid that break down after time and more so if the transmission hits the hot level far too many times .
    There are some great answers here . Time for the OP to take it in for a free diagnostic possibly to a professional trans shop for a second opinion . A lot of trans shops will diagnose for free .

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  11. Mar 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM
    applebmw

applebmw [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lonnie
    Greenville, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    NOW they say it is the Bilstien 5100 shocks I installed to level the thing out....I say how come it didn't do it from day one ??? little input here would be helpfull,,,I am going after truck that has new converter and trans installed..but also has shudder........going remove shocks see what happens...............should I believe them when they say they installed trans ??? How can I check ??

12. Mar 14, 2013 at 5:14 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    Find another dealer...

13. Mar 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    NMW 4x4

NMW 4x4 Wheels With Moose.

Member:
    First Name:
    Walt
    Nine Mile, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    OME 885's w/5100's, Wheeler's HD Progressive, Firestone Riderite's.
    I've got 200k on the original tranny fluid, and mine shudders constantly. However, since it's already a 200k transmission, and the TC likely shot, I've been waiting for the thing to grenade so I'd have an excuse to put a new transmission in it.

If it's below 10*F, I've got to let the truck warm up with the trans in neutral before it'll move. I'll put it in drive or reverse and it feels like the TC isn't building any pressure. The truck strains to move, but it won't until the fluid warms up.

I can't wait for the thing to die so I can just drop a new tranny in.

14. Mar 16, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    TXtycoon

TXtycoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRDOR
    That's a bunch of BS... I would definetly suggest taking it to another dealer for a second opinion. I would have to argue that it IS NOT your radiator or your 5100's causing this shudder. Still not sure what kind of shudder you're getting, but I would say it's either your TC in your tranny or your u-joints in your driveshaft. If you have your truck a quick way to see if your TC is bad is to be at a dead stop in D. With your foot on the brake apply the gas just enough so your Tacoma wants to move but not enough to burn rubber. If you feel a shudder while doing this it is your torque converter.

Products Discussed in

To Top