1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trans cooler or not.

Discussion in 'Towing' started by 97widerider, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Dec 30, 2012 at 9:45 AM
    97widerider

97widerider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner
    I have a 02 Tacoma PreRunner TRD with a 2.7 4cyl. I just purchased a 1350lb popup. I plan on towing the camper 4 - 5 times a summer the furthest distance being a 300 mile round trip. This trip will be done only once. Most others will be within a 100 mile round trip.

Should I bother getting a trans cooler for this little amount of towing. I live in Indiana and there are virtually no hills. I know it couldn't hurt but I have stretched my budget getting the popup and saving any little bit helps.

Thanks.

2. Dec 30, 2012 at 9:52 AM
    mac424205

mac424205 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mathew
    Chelsea
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V8 4X4
    Billies on all four corners with daystar spacer lift. Bought it like this. Replacing done with toytec ultimate 3" lift
    With an automatic trans, yes. Heat kills those things. Make sure you don't have one before you do decide to get one. After the popup is loaded down with supplies and water you will be close to 2k pounds. If you had a manual transmission I would say don't worry about it but it's an automatic and those things are SENSITIVE to heat. It's better to spend the money now and get the cooler than it is to save the money and have to possibly get another transmission a few years down the road. If that happens, there goes the money that you saved.

3. Dec 30, 2012 at 10:49 AM
    97widerider

97widerider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner
    Sorry, just saw somebody posted a thread very similiar.

Products Discussed in

To Top