1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trans Fluid

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Danno 1948, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Jul 2, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    Danno 1948

Danno 1948 [OP] Danno 1948

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Ocala,Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma Trail Edition/ Ice White
    little bit of everything
    Has anyone used the castrol trans fluid for our toyotas,I need to service my trans this weekend and was looking at fluid today and its a lot cheaper than the other 2 they had there. What u think...

2. Jul 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM
    BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    Toyota WS fluid is what the auto takes. Be prepared, it's expensive. Toyota has us by the nads on this one.

3. Jul 2, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    Danno 1948

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Ocala,Fl.
    Vehicle:
    little bit of everything
    yes it is ws fluid for toyota, made by castrol oil and its 6.95 a qt compaired to 11.00-15.00 a qt.

4. Jul 3, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    You mean Castrol Transmax? Go look at their website. You'll see it's not on the compatibility list.

5. Jul 3, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    Dogonduck

Dogonduck Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD sport 4x4
    5100s
    I just got my transmission flushed for the first time at 100,000 miles. I called the dealership to ask price and their procedure and they quoted me $165, said they flushed entire system with machine and it took 12 quarts. Said it was done to Toyota specs. I called twice to see if I got the same answer twice and I did, so I made the appointment. Work was done and I was paying and looked at the reciept to make sure they used WS and they had not used Toyota fluid at all. They used Valoline Max life. I question the girl and she told me they use all Valvoline fluids there. I went home and emailed Toyota and they replied by saying they should not have used anything other that Genuine Toyota WS and they recommended getting the Valvoline flushed out imediately. So I call the dealership and talked to the manager and his excuse was valvoline had a better waranty. I told him what Toyota Corp told me and he said to bring back in and they would use Toyota WS at no charge. I asked him how would I know they used WS? Could I watch the process including them pouring in the proper fluid? He said yes, if thats what made me happy. So that is what i did. 12 quarts Toyota WS into the flush machine then into my truck. So I got my transmission flushed twice in less than 100 miles for 165 bucks. Toyota WS is the only way to go per my conversation with Toyota Corperate.

6. Jul 3, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    +1

"Toyota compatible" currently means that it meets the requirements for Toyota T-IV.

If your trans has a dipstick, it takes T-IV (and can use Castrol/Valvoline/etc).
    If not, it requires W$.

7. Jul 3, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    Danno 1948

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Ocala,Fl.
    Vehicle:
    little bit of everything
    Thats the problem with dealer ships you dont know what they are doing to your truck and what you are getting. Thaats a good price for a dealer to do the service seeing how WS fluid is like 9.00 a qt from them plus they flushed it. Thanks for your answers I ck. out the fluid (Castrol) and read that it was not to be used in our trucks...

8. Jul 4, 2012 at 4:33 AM
    Dogonduck

Dogonduck Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD sport 4x4
    5100s
    I believe that the only reason i got 165 dollar price was because they were using valvoline fluid. The invoivce said the valvoline was 5.97/qt. Plus labor and fees/tax. If they had charged me for the real WS I am sure it would not have been that price. That is why I wanted to watch the do-over process, it would have been too easy for them they to say they did it again and really did nothing. That was the first time I have taken my truck to the dealership and it was a good reminder not to take it back.

9. Jul 4, 2012 at 5:15 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    FWIW, the Valvoline Max Life is per Valvolines site a Toyota WS rated fluid.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/maxlife/automatic-transmission-fluid/37

My readings about the different fluids on the Bob is the oil guy site, which is loaded with oil and fluid geeks, seems to indicate the Max life is probably a much better fluid than Toyota WS brand.

The information, which is from Toyota, indicated the fluid is pretty much a non synthetic just a low viscosity ATF.

I was pretty disappointed to read about Toyota WS, and even though not rated as WS, I went with Mobil 1 ATF. Did a complete flush myself and installed a remote spin on filter.

Honestly, for my truck anyway, the overall smoothness of the transmission improved, even moving the shifter out of P no longer has a notchy feel to it.

If you consider how many fluids were previously Toyota Type IV rated and now are not WS rated, then compare that to if the transmissions have evolved in each model, you would see that it is unlikely that all the newer transmissions were modified for new fluid. More likely Toyota went to the lower viscosity ATF for mileage improvements, disregarding longevity.

PK

10. Jul 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM
    Danno 1948

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Ocala,Fl.
    Vehicle:
    little bit of everything
    Thats good to know,I might just go with that fluid.I wonder how much that is a qt.

11. Jul 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I have done 4 drain and fills since I hit 50k miles with the valvoline max life dex/merc. It seems to be a much smoother transmission now. Each time I did it I had the 4qt jug and when I pulled the over flow plug at temp, plenty came out to satisfy that the trans was filled. I know advance auto and auto zone sell those jugs for close to $17, but it's always nice to have an extra qt bottle around just for the hell of it. Also invest in a $5 fluid pumper that attaches to those jugs, it will pay for it self on the first pump.

12. Jul 4, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    Danno 1948

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Ocala,Fl.
    Vehicle:
    little bit of everything
    Thanks I got everything today and will give it a flush job tomorrow/friday.fluid was just that 17.00 for a gallon so I got 3 of them.

13. Jul 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^What procedure are you planning to use?

14. Jul 4, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Drain and refill is all that's needed... "Flush" is neither needed nor recommended.

The procedures to ensure a proper fill are posted in a thread on this forum.
    The overfill plug is used, but the trans must be at the proper temperature or the level will not be correct.

15. Jul 5, 2012 at 3:25 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Not sure what process he plans to utilize. Mine was done by removing the return line from the cooler and adding new fluid a bit at a time until fresh fluid appeared for an entire qt.

That process is here somewhere.

PK

16. Jul 5, 2012 at 3:30 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    I'm sure the tranny is smoother. As I mentioned, my research found Toyota WS to be nothing special, and merely a non synthetic low viscosity ATF, almost similar to Dexron VI.

When I started to see how the viscosity of approved fluids such as Max Life compared to WS and the M1 I run, that convinced me to do this on my truck and not worry about it. No regrets yet, and don't expect any.

PK

17. Jul 5, 2012 at 6:04 AM
    Danno 1948

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Ocala,Fl.
    Vehicle:
    little bit of everything
    Thats the one Im doing.Its the same as you did but Im going to use Valvoline Max Life Fluid,also changing out the plugs it has 60000 milers on it.

18. Jul 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    Danno 1948

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Ocala,Fl.
    Vehicle:
    little bit of everything
    got it all done,not to bad of a job.I did remove trans pan and filter just to clean it . Just wanted to do it,Im glad I did it was pretty dirty and the magnets were cover with funk.Havent drove it yet to see if it shifts better but Im sure it will.Plugs were a piece of cake to change and toyota only charged me 4.90 per plug.thats better than the parts store were selling them for.Anyway thanks for all the help and the process that was wrote up here is right on the money.....

19. Jul 5, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    If I'm not mistaken, your V6 takes copper plugs. The parts store likely quoted you Iridium plugs.
    The 2.7 takes Iridium.

20. Jul 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    Did you re-use the pan filter, or did you use a new one? If new, what kind of surface prep did you have to do to ensure no leaks?

Products Discussed in

To Top