1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

trans wont work

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by JOEL G, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Jan 8, 2008 at 6:38 AM
    JOEL G

JOEL G [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm new to the forum, and have a question. I have a 96 4x4 tacoma, and rolled it ....gently in the snow. there are minor dents, and the roof is partially stoved in. the plan is to jack the roof up....just so a new windshield will seal.
    The engine runs, but the auto trans wont do anything. Park wont stop the wheels from turning....which indicates mechanical damage. the linkage is connected, and you can hear the linkage inside the trans moving. The transfer case can shift through all gears with no grind or resistance......and still the tires roll free.

Is there something simple to look at first? a pin? clip? . There was no direct impact to the trans, it just went upside down. And yes, the fluids are up to level.
    Any advice is appretiated.

Joel

I have pictures if anyone wants to see.

2. Jan 8, 2008 at 6:53 AM
    Bfmco7

Bfmco7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sounds like th parking paw is broke internally. Best thing I can tell you is to eather have the trans repaired or trust yout parking break. This should have no affect on all other gears.

3. Jan 8, 2008 at 9:11 AM
    colttsi

colttsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Have you tried switching the gears manually directly at the tranny? Just to see if it the tranny is really the problem.

4. Jan 8, 2008 at 3:40 PM
    JOEL G

JOEL G [OP] New Member

Member:
    Nevermind......it was 4 quarts low.

I checked the dipstick with the engine running and in neutral, and it read good on the stick.....but I was mistaken. also, there were no wet spots, so I didn't think anything leaked out....but it did.

Thanks anyways

Products Discussed in

To Top