1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transfer Case Chain - Can anyone else hear theirs?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by greenrustic, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    That is an odd sound. First thing I'd look at really close is the u-joints.

Beyond that... ?????

It sounds to me like the noise is from something going axle speed, not driveshaft speed.

2. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Just a shot in the dark , but check the carrier bearing , make sure it's not loose or misaligned .

3. Feb 9, 2012 at 6:36 PM
    greenrustic

greenrustic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
    So the toyota service tech will not talk to me, he flat out refused. Makes me think he is not very confident in his diagnosis and might be nervous about my questions. Really blown away at this whole experience...brand new vehicle obviously something is wrong and can't get any help...not the way I conduct the service end of my business.

4. Feb 9, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Escalate up to Toyota corporate

5. Feb 9, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    greenrustic

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
  6. Feb 9, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  7. Feb 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    greenrustic

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Ok thats the number I had been calling to speak to some customer service rep that said the field service rep refused to talk to me. Was going to call again tomorrow and see if I could get a manager or someone who cares even just a little.

8. Feb 15, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    greenrustic

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
  9. Feb 15, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    Doc35

Doc35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC MGM TRD Sport Prerunner
    You have a warranty, run it til it breaks if it truly is a defect. Most true problems will show up within the first year.

10. Feb 15, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Take it to another dealer I don't think they are the ones to fix it for you they seem a bit clueless. If that does not work get the Toyota rep to ride with you.

11. Feb 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    greenrustic

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Yeah the service manager at the stealership couldn't explain how the transfer case worked or why the chain would turn in 2wd or why the sound doesn't change when I put it into 4wd and put a real load on the chain. So I probably don't want them fixing it anyway.

I am going to get it up on a lift on Friday night and listen for the source of the noise with a stethoscope.

I am then going to make an appointment with another dealer.

Suposedly a toyota rep looked at it and said it was normal and the transfer case chain was the source of the noise but I never saw the rep and he "refused" to talk with me when I asked to talk with him.

Even if it is the transfer case chain it sure doesn't sound right...

I am not really one to drive something till it breaks, I prefer preventative maintenance and don't want to get stuck somewhere especiallywith the kids. I drive a lot too, will probably do 30000 miles this year.

12. Feb 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Question: Does the sound go away when you lightly apply the brakes? In reverse? I know it's just a Youtube video so I could be way off, but that sounds to me like a pebble caught in your caliper. I've had it happen before. You might be able to hear it by jacking one wheel at a time and spinning it by hand.

13. Feb 17, 2012 at 4:29 AM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    These sorts of noises are hard to locate so have then consider the rear axle bearings. I had a wa-wa-wa noise, varied with speed, not gear or drive mode dependent. Turned out to be both rear wheel bearings. Replaced under warranty 2 weeks ago and all quiet now.

14. Feb 18, 2012 at 6:16 AM
    greenrustic

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Wasn't able to get the truck on the lift because the lift broke, one of the hydraulic seals went on it earlier in the day.

But...

I jacked up the rear again put the truck in neutral and spun the wheels by hand and on every revolution I could hear a rubbing noise from the passenger side wheel. So I believe I now know the source. Feel pretty stupid I didn't try this simple test earlier...I often make things more complicated then they need to be. Now I will take it in to one of the local dealers...need an oil change anyway.

15. Feb 18, 2012 at 6:23 AM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    Hard to know for sure without listening to a truck in person but many posts here sound a lot like what I experienced. I actually heard mine the first time back in 2009 on the way to the beach with my GF.. truck was 6 months old. That tells me the bearings were pretty much bad from the get-go. Good news is that they go for awhile without failing dramatically. Bad news is that it seems Tacomas have crap for rear wheel bearings. I hope the replacements are better quality.

16. Feb 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    If it's a bearing making that much noise then the wheel will have play. If no play, then the noise is a dragging brake. It sounded like a brake noise to me, but I figured it was mostly likely a front caliper. The dealer should be able to find the source pretty quick.

17. Feb 23, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    greenrustic

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    No luck at the dealer today. I had them check the rear wheel that I heard the noise from. They took the breaks apart and found a little rust on the rotor (drum) and cleaned it off. Unfortunately that did not make the noise stop...so the saga continues. Hopefully I can get it up on the lift (when its fixed) or get my hands on some chassis ears to help identify the source. My temporary fix is turning the radio up.

18. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    matts11

matts11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    I had a noise that seemed to sound like that on a 98 Pathfinder when it was new. I kept checking the wheels for stones, turned out it was a front wheel bearing. That is definitely not normal and it does not seem to be driveline as it sounds more in rhythm with tire/wheel rotation than driveline.

19. Mar 3, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    greenrustic

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    I greased all the u-joints and it didn't change. I do hear something from the rear wheel but think it is the breaks, my understanding is that they should drag a little but I would think it would be a consistent sound throughout the entire revolution not a rubbing sound once per revolution. Is it possible they are not adjusted correctly? Also I definitely do not hear it when the truck is cold which makes me wonder if it is in the t-case like the dealer said...if the fluid is cold and not so viscous then maybe the chain doesn't spin??? Or it could be something else that expands when it warms up. Still no lift to get it up on so I am a little bit stalled.

I still want to take the rear breaks apart and inspect and I am thinking about backing off the pads so they are not touching the drums at all (therefore making no noise) and taking it for a spin to see if I hear anything.

20. Mar 4, 2012 at 3:44 AM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    Really doubt it is the brakes. Drums seldom drag unless you just did a manual adjustment and that goes away soon after driving a few miles. One way to test: take a drive after the truck has cooled off and then if a brake is dragging significantly the affected wheel get hot even if you haven't been braking a lot. And it should be hotter than the other side. But in any case a if a dragging drum brake won't cause vibes unless something is seriously amiss and that should be obvious.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you find.

Products Discussed in

To Top