1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission- 5 Speed automatic write up with pics for second gen 4 liter trucks

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by gearcruncher, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Mar 20, 2018 at 4:18 PM
    daopi

daopi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad AC auto
    Bilstein 6112 (2nd notch) & 5160, Leer 100XQ canopy

The dealer replaced the fluid.
    Dealer told me they do remove the pan, but I don't know what else they do after. They said that are following the exact official procedure from Toyota.
    I don't have a code scanner.

The rough upshifting happens from 4th to 5th gear and locking on 5 (don't know what I'm talking, whatever happens after 5). It happens mostly when transmission is cold, and a bit rough when is warmer. Doesn't happen all the time, but is definitely more often when transmission is colder.
    Also the shift under 80km/h from D to 4 is rough. If I drive in 4 all is ok.

The fluid change happened 2.5 weeks ago, around 1300km away. Was worse at the beginning, but now seems to be a bit of improvement.

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  2. Mar 20, 2018 at 4:57 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Its not uncommon for valves inside the valve body to get a little sticky after removing dirty transmission fluid .Over time , small particles of dirt slowly wash out of the valve body and the sticking valve becomes less noticeable
    With that being said you have a couple options .
    Take it back to the dealer and complain to them that the transmission is no longer functioning correctly after they performed the transmission service and ask them to put the transmission back to the way it was before they serviced it .I suggest you do this quickly .
    Do you have extended warranty on the truck ? Dealerships dont fix transmissions other than the odd solenoid . They always remove the old transmission and install a new trans $$$$$$ and I would expect the dealership to come back at you with a quotation for a new transmission

Take your truck to a transmission shop for a free road test . They will tell you exactly whats happening and why just by road testing your truck . Road tests are free

3. Mar 23, 2018 at 1:36 PM
    daopi

daopi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad AC auto
    Correction: the oil pan was not removed, they just drained and refilled the transmission.
    Today the Toyota technician did a quick road test and found nothing wrong.

I guess the sludge at the bottom of the uncleaned pan raised and went in the valves. It seems very slow is moving away, the shifting is never rough now, just nudges and hesitations but I hope will not be permanent damage. What do you think?

Would it help to redo the fluid change again but by removing the oil pan, clean and reinstall? Is there an easier way to clean the sludge in the valves with some additive?

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    lynyrd3 likes this.
  4. Mar 25, 2018 at 4:36 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd

Add a bottle of Lubegaurd and you should be good to go

lynyrd3 likes this.
  5. Mar 26, 2018 at 7:14 PM
    daopi

daopi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad AC auto
    Thank you!

Just got the bottle of the original (60902). Instructions are saying to add the bottle with engine idling in park. And are saying to not overfill. But my transmission is already full so I have to drain the excess of 300ml of oil. When?
    Let's say I pour in the whole bottle of Lubegard, how long should I idle till drain?

Thank you again and sorry for dumb questions!

6. Mar 26, 2018 at 7:51 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    I would drain a quart , then add the lubeguard , then top off with ATF

lynyrd3 likes this.
  7. Apr 2, 2018 at 10:58 AM
    Lthompson

Lthompson Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm at my wits end with the weird vibes I have. I to the point where I'm just gonna start trying stuff, because I cant find a definitive answer. Ive done several drain and fills and lubeguard to no avail. It "seems" like the vibes I have will stop with the brake test for a brief second.. But generally the vibe is only felt at a certain rpms,, and when I hit the brakes, the rpms jump up out of the range in which I generally feel the vibe, and the Rpms only stay there for just a second, so I cant be sure what exactly is happening. It seems inconclusive to me as to whether I still get vibes without being in lockup or not.. And it only seems I can feel it in 4th and 5th too.. But this isn't the only vibe I'm dealing with either. I have a pretty bad vibe at 3k whether in gear or not. the kind of vibe that reminds me of a fan spinning with a broken blade, and the steering wheel feels like I'm holding a vibrating cell phone. The other vibe is similar in feeling, but maybe slightly less aggressive with more drone. Anyway, at this point I'm wanting to just try something, but if I'm tearing into the transmission, I wanna make it worth my while.. So I'm considering going with a shift kit as well, I hate mushy shifts. So, what kind of solenoids or other parts should I look at replacing? I'm assuming the lockup solenoid.. but what else? and also wondering which shift kit to go with that involves the least amount of work and/or modification. I don't want to drop the trans. But I wanna do everything I can up to that point. If it doesn't work, maybe ill try a new converter. I love the truck, I just hate driving it because of the annoying on and off droney vibes I get and feel all the time. I cant drive without focusing on it and paying attention to it, and messing with it letting off the throttle, tapping the brakes and experimenting. Tell me what to do!

8. Apr 5, 2018 at 7:17 AM
    seedy_tea

seedy_tea Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD-OR DC
    Where exactly is the adjustment screw? is it on the end of the solenoid thats inside the valve body or is it the gold screw thats barely visible under the retainer clip? what size allen key was it? thanks, sorry for all the questions.

9. Apr 5, 2018 at 9:46 AM
    mightytacoman

mightytacoman Mighty-known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    Adjustment screw is on the solenoid itself on the side that slides into the housing, hence you have to remove it to access the screw. If memory serves it is either 5mm or 5.5mm.

seedy_tea[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 5, 2018 at 9:48 AM
    seedy_tea

seedy_tea Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD-OR DC
    Thanks! Also, has your shudder returned? still happy with the modification?

11. Apr 5, 2018 at 9:52 AM
    mightytacoman

mightytacoman Mighty-known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    Shudder did not return for the year or so I has this done. I have since done the Ratiotek upgrade because I was starting to get some slipping from either 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th, I cant remember now. I wrote a guide for the Ratiotek install here.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/ratiotek-transmission-upgrade-how-to.528378/

12. Apr 6, 2018 at 11:07 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:

With all the different vibrations you have going on , I suggest starting your own post in order to narrow things down .
    We can work together and try and clear up a few of these issues . Dont want to see you throwing $$$$$$$ at parts you dont need .
    Members come here for help
    Start your own post and we will go from there

lynyrd3 likes this.
  13. Apr 7, 2018 at 4:55 PM
    sammy619

sammy619 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD sport
    General tires Bronze Method wheels K&N intake Fox shocks front and rear Softtopper
    Dealer ship wanted me to get a whole new transmission because I was experiencing this shudder feeling..

Instead I did a drain n fill, replaced the transmission filter, cleaned the magnets, turned the SLU SOLENOID 1/4 turn, added a bottle of the lube guard and dr. Instant shudder fix. Seems to have fixed the problem!

gearcruncher[OP] and lynyrd3 like this.
  14. Apr 9, 2018 at 8:52 AM
    YouTwit

YouTwit New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner
    Chip, rear springs, large front sway bar, shift kit,
    Gearcruncher,

Thanks for the post and all of the information. I also had the low rpm shudder in lower gears under load in my 2008 prerunner. And i ordered the transgo kit you suggested. I finished installing it last night. Once i was able to get the rest of the ATF fluid i needed (put 6qrts in, needed another 1.5) this morning i was able to drive it for the first time.

Under normal load shifting it is nice and smooth but crisper. Once i apply a good load upon take off the shifting reminds me of the stage 1 shift kits I used to put in some of the old turbo 350 transmissions. It wont chirp the tires when shifting but it is a fast solid shift without slippage.

And i do not have the low rpm shudder anymore.

Thanks again!

15. Apr 9, 2018 at 2:51 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:

Hey YouTwit

I am certainly happy to hear you got your truck fixed using some of the info posted on Tacoma World .:thumbsup:

I would like to ask you for help .
    Is there any chance you could send me the Trans-go instructions that came with the kit ?

lynyrd3 likes this.
  16. Apr 9, 2018 at 7:21 PM
    YouTwit

YouTwit New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner
    Chip, rear springs, large front sway bar, shift kit,
    Yea of course. I can scan them in tomorrow and send them.

gearcruncher[OP] likes this.
  17. Apr 16, 2018 at 10:30 PM
    daopi

daopi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad AC auto
    Update-conclusion: after Toyota dealer drained and refilled the transmission a month ago I noticed rough shifting, especially when cold. I complained to dealer and they "double checked levels and road test" everything in about 5 minutes and said is all ok. But the rough shifting continued.

After your advice to add Lubegard and an injured right hand I was able only to add Instant Shudder Fixx two weeks ago. That improved a lot the shifting, but I still didn't check fluid level.

This weekend I had all I needed (bottle pump, ws fluid, Lubegard). Started the procedure to check fluid level and found it too low, to drops of oil came out. I let it cool well and drained a pint of luid, added the Lubegard and a bit of fresh fluid. Started the fluid level check and still way too low. Let everything cool again and added 400ml fresh fluid. Checked level again and now was just a bit above.
    Shifting now is smooth, no roughness whatsoever, gives a solid feel.

In conclusion the "double check" from dealer was just bs and simply put the mechanic who did the fluid change is an idiot, put about 500ml less fluid in, which is about 15% less. These transmissions seem to be very sensible to fluid level.

Thank you for your help!

18. Apr 17, 2018 at 5:34 AM
    daopi

daopi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad AC auto
    PS: I have my reasons to believe Toyota WS fluid is made by Mobil 1, same like the engine oils.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  19. Apr 30, 2018 at 9:11 AM
    Lthompson

Lthompson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Man I have, several times.. But it always is a dead end, because I cant seem to nail down exactly what kind of vibrations others are having versus what I'm having. Or cant find anything at all even similar. Ive added lube guard twice, done two drain and fills. Experimented with different fluid levels. I'm down to the point of just gonna start throwing money at it til something sticks because I know it cant be normal. I'm going to replace whatever solenoids in the trans and I would like to do a simple shift kit while I'm in there. And see what happens. If that doesn't help, I guess ill replace the torque converter. Ive had it at the dealer. They are stupid. Ive had it at a trans shop, and they pretty much just didn't know, and didn't wanna find out, because it would just cost money. And I'm a single guy who works 40-50+ hours a week, and lives 35 minutes from town.. Its hard to get time to work on it. I'm just looking to see exactly what parts, where to find em. And also what different things I should purchase so that I don't forget something and then be left stranded needing a part.

20. May 1, 2018 at 5:22 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:

Point me to the thread you started and we will begin the elimination process .

taco2010trd and ImpulseRed008 like this.
To Top