1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission acting weird

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gooseman80, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Mar 24, 2012 at 4:12 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.

I just upgraded my rear leafs and I'm now gonna watch for this "axle wrap" and see if it still happens.... I'll report back later...maybe I fixed it, eh?

Over:confused:

2. Mar 24, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    1GR

1GR Toyota Dealer Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    This is your A/C compressor kicking on. It is not continuously run, only turns on when you need more system pressure. The ECU sees this and bumps up the rpm at idle, to compensate for the extra load from the A/C compressor. Even if your a/c button is not on, if you have it on either defrost/defogger setting, your a/c is automatically on to remove moisture from the cab through the evaporator. This is 100% normal. You will not feel it while driving because your not at idle and already under load. Try turning off your fan and changing to a different setting (feet or forward blowing). You will notice this will not happen.

3. Mar 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    That what say you about this? Neither defrost setting nor AC is selected.

"Mine does it in the first 5-10 minutes of operation. Driving down the street at 30mph, it'll "clunk" .. usually when I let off the gas. I don't hear it .. I feel it. It'll happen maybe 1 or 2 times in that first 5-10 minutes, and then that's it."

4. Mar 24, 2012 at 10:49 PM
    1GR

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I was replying to the OP. This fits exact what is described. Without further information, or having the truck with me, this is the only thing I can come up with.

5. Mar 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I know. I was just curious. Seems like a lot of us get "clunks" at different times that turn out to be "normal" though often Toyota can't tell us what's actually going on.

6. Mar 24, 2012 at 11:05 PM
    1GR

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    If your dealer is saying it's "normal" without giving a valid reason, it's probably not normal. I would be happy to remotely do a diag to anyones noise concerns. It will just take messaging back and forth and doing the checks yourself.

7. Mar 27, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    gooseman80

gooseman80 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Spring, Tx
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Wow, all really great replies guys. I like the ideal of Axel Wrap. I asked my buddy if it's ever happened in his Tundra and he said yes. I will still take the advice to lube the yoke. As far as the AC, it is always on. I have no ideal if the conpressor is engaged or not when the felt bump happens, but I will make a note of that. I actually haven't had it happen for a few weeks now so it defiantly is an intermediate problem. I'll do a little more inspections on the truck. As far as the felt bump, it definitely could be gears in the trans winding down into first gear. Just from the feel of it, it seems like that is where it's coming from. When it does happen, I'm usually on the brakes at a red light, so another words, at full stop. More than likely, I do approach a stop a little fast as one user asked. After reading the posts, I'm not as worried as I once was, but do need to get my truck in for servicing. I was pretty surprised to find out that the truck had a closed transmission system. What the heck? Just crazing if you ask me.

8. Jun 15, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    I get this on my 2010 tacoma from time to time.... i also had it on my 2003 Frontier when i had it.... did this for all 7 years i owned it... went to the dealer and they said it was normal and even showed me what happens to cause it.... it is axle wrap.... nothing to worry about

9. Jun 17, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    Chris135

Chris135 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Regina,Sk
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCLB SR5 TRD Sport
    Debadged Bilstein 5100 shocks in front OME 885 coils Icon 1.5"aal 16" fj cruiser Trd rims 285/75/16 duratrac tires 1.25" spidertrax wheelspacers (4) Tinted front windows Grillecraft upper grille Custom Trd boxside decals Allpro front bumper Piaa 510 fog lights Box mounted ammo can Rear diff breather BHLM Tinted front windows Rolltop tonneau cover Hand controls (for wheelchair users)
    Just a shot in the dark for guys still having issues after tryin to solve their issues with the advise given with no luck. But maybe try checking your transmission fluid. There's a good write up on here on how to do it, I suggest your read it first though as it has to be RUNNING at a certain temperature. I just finished over $20000 worth of repairs on my truck and when I took it for a test drive sometimes it would do the same thing. More often though after braking hard then accelerating right away it would slip/not engage right away. After following the proper procedures to fill it up she runs like a top. Just a last resort for you guys.

10. Jun 17, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    :anonymous:

Products Discussed in

To Top