1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chatapuggy1, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Sep 20, 2010 at 9:26 AM
    chatapuggy1

chatapuggy1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab TRD Off-Road
    2009 DC V6 auto tranny 20K mi, runs smooth, but I recently noticed that if I floor this thing from a dead stop, it fells like the tranny shudders a bit until it reaches the next gear or gets to a certain speed.

I took the Stability control (RDSC/RCVA??) off as well, as I know that some car have that slippage feeling with it on from the take off.

Basically, if I floor it, it feels like stability control is kicking in or the tranny is skipping in 1st.

Any ideas? is it normal?

Thanks in advance!

2. Sep 20, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    mmmmm,i've never floored mine from a dead stop....but i'm sure somebody on here has.............bump

3. Sep 20, 2010 at 9:30 AM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    Never noticed this, but iv'e only floored mine a couple times.

4. Sep 20, 2010 at 10:01 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Done a transmission oil change recently?

5. Sep 20, 2010 at 10:34 AM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    Mine started doing this when I got it (used) at a hardish start and now it has progressed into doing it all the time. I have taken it to toyota many a times an they first did a tranny flush (that didn't work), then hey replaced the transmission (also no worky), then they swapped the drive shafts from a taco they had sitting on the lot (no work), swapped the cross member, for the transmission, and also doesn't work. So nothing yet has worked and all that is left is the torque converter, and rear diff. Thank god for warranty!!

6. Sep 20, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    maybe one wheel is spinning, then the computer brakes one (auto LSD).

have you tried taking off the traction control completely, by pressing the button for a few seconds (where you don't see auto-lsd)?

7. Sep 20, 2010 at 12:12 PM
    dalsmthme

dalsmthme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    The driveline is mounted on rubber. Rubber carrier bearing and trans mounts. The rear springs are weaker than slinky's. When you floor it, the axel wraps and sends the driveline into a vibration. There isn't much you can do about it from an OEM set-up other than don't floor it...

8. Sep 20, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    chatapuggy1

chatapuggy1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab TRD Off-Road
    Cool, I guess its just standard then. I dont usually floor it, I just got it last week and since it has the warranty and its at 20K, I have been noticing everything I possibly can to address at the dealer when I get a chance (loose mirror, TSB-Tranny, springs, etc...)

It goes when I floor it, it just really feels like an old Acura I had with stability control though where you can feel a shudder almost like a light ABS feel. But I will turn both buttons off on the dash (RSCV and the other one) as I have no idea what they are, i know one of them is stability)

Haven't done the tranny flush cause I figured its only at 20K? Maybe I should though?

Products Discussed in

To Top