1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

transmission cooler suggestions

Discussion in 'Towing' started by gmann1972, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Jul 23, 2016 at 3:57 PM
    gmann1972

gmann1972 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma SR5 DCSB
    Just returned from a long trip towing my 25" TT, I have the factory tow package on my 2013 DCSB. I have a scan gauge and during this trip I noticed my trans temp peaking out at 253*F. I am looking to install a larger cooler, ant suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scrat likes this.
  2. Jul 23, 2016 at 4:05 PM
    Fatback17

Fatback17 Masshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    South of Boston, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro MGM
  3. Jul 24, 2016 at 9:14 AM
    Mybigtaco

Mybigtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, AZ
    Vehicle:
    14 PreRunner
    Icon coil-overs, Maxtrac spindles, custom OMD inspired leaf pack,
    I just returned from a 3000 plus mile trip towing in some of the highest peaks and hottest weather in the US from Phoenix AZ through Colorado and up to South Dakota and back with a 4200lb pound trailer in my 14 double cab. I installed the Derale 52506 cooler the night before I left and did a pan drain and refill. My trans fluid never went above 215 on my scan gauge 2 in the highest peaks in Colorado and cooled right back down to 160-175 when i was not climbing. I have towed in the past with just the factory cooler and had the temps run much hotter on less challenging drives. The factory cooler is a joke and you need to upgrade if you are towing that big of a trailer. These trucks tow great upgrade that tiny cooler and you will be much happier.

Nctrucknut336 and SLeeper512 like this.
  4. Jul 24, 2016 at 10:25 AM
    gmann1972

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma SR5 DCSB
    Thanks for the info, question for you. When you installed the new cooler, were there any modifications required to make the new cooler fit. I will look into the same cooler you used. How long did it take you to install the new cooler

5. Jul 24, 2016 at 12:06 PM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    Isn't 25 feet a bit big? I've borrowed my neighbor's 21 footer lite trailer on several occasions and my Taco struggled up 5% grades. Had to drop down to 3rd several times. I think his trailer was rated 5500 lbs but you have to add any weight you add to both the trailer and the towing vehicle when adding up the tow weight #s.

If you do any off-roading (even if not), I would recommend bypassing the ATF coolant tank on the radiator. Any rupture internally (from overheating or foreign object penetration) will contaminate the ATF with coolant, leading to failure. It's not worth the risk if you are adding an external cooler. Keep the small OEM cooler if it doesn't get in the way of the new one.

6. Jul 24, 2016 at 12:25 PM
    gmann1972

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma SR5 DCSB
    The Trailer is 4250# Dry, and between 5000# - 5300# loaded, depends where I am camping and how long I am going for. Normally it's just my GF and I so it's around 5000#. The Taco handles it great, I can actually pass vehicles going up hill with no issues at all. The truck pulls the camper great. I have the truck set up perfectly for towing this rig. I just need to upgrade the trans cooler and that should take care of all the needed upgrades for pulling the camper safely, smoothly, and with enough power to get out of the way if need be and maintain control of the rig if a bad situation should arise. I'm not a lead foot when pulling the camper, I stay steady around 60-65 MPH and I always drive in 4th gear when towing. If the truck is set up properly for towing the right weight combination, there should be no issues or compromises.

Scrat and TacoManOne like this.
  7. Jul 24, 2016 at 5:17 PM
    Mybigtaco

Mybigtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, AZ
    Vehicle:
    14 PreRunner
    Icon coil-overs, Maxtrac spindles, custom OMD inspired leaf pack,
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/trans-overheated.428722/ This thread has all the info in it. I did the exact same install. It was easy and only took a few hours to do. Making the brackets and getting everything lined up took the most time. I would do a pan drain and refill when you do it also that way you ger the right amount of ATF in your system.

8. Jul 27, 2016 at 5:22 PM
    theox26

theox26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB Sport
    Maybe someone here can answer a concern I have that doesn't seem to be answered anywhere I have found. When I install a new cooler that uses LPD to only cool the fluid when needed, how do I make sure I get the right level of fluid if the cooler won't fill until it is a higher temp than the fill check temp?

I'm looking at these 2 coolers that both work that way:

https://smile.amazon.com/70264-SuperCooler-Automatic-Transmission-Cooler/dp/B000CIIDZE/
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005XZXBYE/

Is it not enough fluid for me to be concerned? Is it ok because the fluid expands as it gets hotter anyway?

Thanks for any possible answers!

9. Jul 27, 2016 at 5:33 PM
    LiveFreeOrDie2015

LiveFreeOrDie2015 Well-Known Member

Member:
    York PA
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD OFFROAD
    3in lift,Fox suspension,chaos UCA,AAL,leer 180 topper,SilverStar zXe headlights & fog lights,BAMF kickout sliders,Mobtown full skids,Pelfreybuilt center hoop, Pelfreybuilt Gas Tank Skid,50" curved LED light bar, Hood scoop LED, Tran cooler and fan,Oil Catch can,LED Strip lights under hood & Bed,
    I installed an extra cooler last spring but never wired up the fan I mounted. A month ago I got stuck in wet sand when I was surf fishing. The temp icon lite up for the first time I let it sit for 5-10 mins before trying to free the truck. What temp does the light come on at?
    I shouldn't have been so lazy and wired the fan up:frusty:

10. Jul 27, 2016 at 5:49 PM
    theox26

theox26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB Sport
    The light comes on at 305F. I'm honestly surprised you got there with the stock Aux cooler and an additional cooler on top of that. The fan seems to do very little from what I've read of other installs. Are you sure the fluid is set to go through your added cooler properly?

SLeeper512 likes this.
  11. Jul 27, 2016 at 6:00 PM
    LiveFreeOrDie2015

Member:
    York PA
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD OFFROAD
    3in lift,Fox suspension,chaos UCA,AAL,leer 180 topper,SilverStar zXe headlights & fog lights,BAMF kickout sliders,Mobtown full skids,Pelfreybuilt center hoop, Pelfreybuilt Gas Tank Skid,50" curved LED light bar, Hood scoop LED, Tran cooler and fan,Oil Catch can,LED Strip lights under hood & Bed,
    I simply ran the hose from incoming line to aux cooler than from aux cooler back into factory cooler so nothing is bypassed I was just sitting on a hot beach stuck in sand so the only cooling was from the engine fan. With atrac,locker and every other button combination it was getting worked hard.............I was thinking to myself would the crawl control on the third gen walk right out of this one:cool:

But yes I was shocked to see the light come on. Looks like I'll be flushing the tranny fluid

12. Jul 27, 2016 at 7:39 PM
    Fatback17

Fatback17 Masshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro MGM
    Your aux cooler my not be flowing correctly if it wasn't installed correctly. See attachment
    I would think that fan not working would only block air from circulating, no?

Attached Files:

TEQTACO83 and daltondrose like this.
  13. Jul 27, 2016 at 7:57 PM
    LiveFreeOrDie2015

Member:
    York PA
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD OFFROAD
    I don't see how it could be installed wrong the way it's just like having a larger cooler the flow direction didn't change and I never had a problem towing my boat or running the beach in the past year.

Yes with out the fan hooked up some airflow will be restricted but factory one is wide open. My thoughts were the truck was working hard and no air was being pushed into engine bay. It's like having a dyno test without a fan blowing cold air into radiator.

14. Jul 27, 2016 at 8:03 PM
    Fatback17

Fatback17 Masshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro MGM
    Yeah I gues thats it then...

Did you even look at the attachment?

15. Jul 27, 2016 at 8:19 PM
    LiveFreeOrDie2015

Member:
    York PA
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD OFFROAD
    It wouldn't open for me but the one I got said it could be mounted in any direction. The intake and return are both on bottom so now I'm second guessing it.image.jpg

But I have seen plenty of then installed with ports on the bottom :notsure:

16. Jul 27, 2016 at 8:31 PM
    Fatback17

Fatback17 Masshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro MGM
  17. Jul 27, 2016 at 8:37 PM
    LiveFreeOrDie2015

Member:
    York PA
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD OFFROAD
    Well that can't be denied I still can see how that would make a difference. Maybe a small air lock at the top but with the fluid being pumped it should purge itself out? If I have anymore temp problems I'll have to flip it. Just didn't want the hoses to pinch shut after they got hot. It wouldn't fit on its side and top was a tight 90 on hoses.

18. Aug 6, 2016 at 3:18 PM
    gmann1972

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma SR5 DCSB
    OK all, so I just installed a new transmission cooler (Derale 52506), did a pan drain and refill and yes the transmission has the correct amount of fluid. I have driven around town and my trans temp was around 165*F, does that sound right, I have also taken the truck on the highway and my trans temp on the highway (doing 70mph), was around 150*F. Does either of those temps sound within reason. I really added the new trans cooler for the purpose of towing my camper (5500lb's). I have not hooked up to the camper yet to take it for a test drive and compare the temps. My trans temp when towing before adding the new cooler would reach 220-260*f. I don't remember what the temps were during normal driving conditions.

19. Aug 7, 2016 at 5:42 AM
    scottfarm

scottfarm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4X4
    aires 3D mats, scan gauge II, rear differential breather relocation, and bakflip G2 bed cover.
    Make sure the hose coming from the radiator is going into the bottom of your Derale cooler. Those temps are running a little higher than mine. When I'm towing my 5000 lbs trailer on level ground at 58 mph on a 100 degree day mine runs 155 degrees. Around town mine hardly ever get above 140 now.

20. Aug 7, 2016 at 5:49 AM
    gmann1972

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma SR5 DCSB
    Ok I will check. I didn't think it mattered what hose went where. That's the info I got from the manufacturer (Derale). So what you are suggesting is the hose coming from the radiator goes to the bottom of the cooler and the top of the cooler is the return to the transmission.

Products Discussed in

To Top