1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission fluid; GL-4, GL-5

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by NegroTundra, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Jan 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    NegroTundra

NegroTundra [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4WD 5 spd
    I apologize in advance if I've missed it somewhere but I have searched through many threads, most of them missing the question I'm looking for.

I changed my MANUAL transmission fluid yesterday with Castrol Syntec 75W-90, which conforms to GL-5 and MT-1 standards. Our owners manuals say to use a an API certified GL-4 or GL-5. I read this then went to the parts store and bought the Castrol brand thinking best bang for buck. After more searching today, I'm reading that transmission fluids in general, should be GL-4's, given a specific ingredient in the GL-5 formulas can actually attack certain (brass?) elements within the tranny. I'm now thinkin I should drain the ~$22 worth of oil I just put in my tranny and refill with Amsoil Transmission and Transaxle GL-4 fluid.
    Also, does this hold true for the transfer case too? The manual again for this says GL-4 or 5.

Also, a good read here on different tests they put gear lubes through. Obviously it's produced by Amsoil so there may be some bias, but seems legit and thorough to me. http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

Thanks for any help guys:eek:

2. Jan 8, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    NegroTundra

NegroTundra [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4WD 5 spd
    Well, the shifting with Castrol GL-5 was VERY notchy and I was grinding gears pretty bad on normal driving shifts. Just dumped that and put in Redline MT-90 GL-4, what a a difference...smooth as butter, even in the cool temp today of 20 degrees. Redline FTW for Manual Transmissions.

3. Jan 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    troopa4life

troopa4life Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7 Reg Cab 5 Speed
    Doug Thorley Shorty Headers
    Remove the oil immediately bro... I used Mobile 1 75w-90 gear oil GL-5 and I had the SAME thing happen. I did my research on yotatech and purchased a gallon of Redline 75w-90 MT GL-4 oil and IMMEDIATELY after I replaced the oil... the grinding stopped and it was smooth as butter shifting. No worries about the transfercase you can keep the castrol you have in there now... hope this helps.

4. Jan 9, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    troopa4life

troopa4life Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7 Reg Cab 5 Speed
    Doug Thorley Shorty Headers
    HAHA I didn't see your second post... I see you took my advice in advance ;) glad you got it worked out.

5. Jan 9, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop
    you already made the switch. i also run redline mt-90 in mine, good shit

6. Jan 9, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    x2