1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission Issue or Paranoia?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Codemonkey3, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Oct 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    Codemonkey3

Codemonkey3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma
    I'm not sure if I'm even describing it right and it happens on occasion and only in those specific circumstances during cold starts and goes away really fast. It's literally the only issue the truck has and if someone said "No big deal, live with it" I would be totally cool with that but obviously I want to find out why and fix it.

I don't think the diff is broken or anything, it doesn't make any noises, everything works perfectly outside those extremely specific circumstances. So I don't know what in the world it is. The truck has a locking diff by the way, might be important to mention that.

I'm getting it checked on Friday, I just want to know where to start pointing fingers to figure it out or find someone who has had experience with this that can describe it to me better than I can. It feels like the tires are locking/skipping once, twice, three times before the truck functions fine or if feel it coming I put it in reverse, back up, back into drive and do that once or twice until it functions normally.

Once the truck has been driving, I can reverse and do anything I have to normally do without incident which is why I'm in this weird limbo between being confused, really concerned and almost dismissive about it.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. Oct 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    DoorDing

DoorDing Thank you, Nancy Roman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    I'm not sure what you mean about a patch. If the rear diff is locking and unlocking on it's own, that may be the source of the tire scubbing. Is it an auto-locker? If not, I'd get it fixed.

3. Oct 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    Codemonkey3

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma
    It's a little rubber patch on the pumpkin on the rear diff.

As for the specifics of the differential all I know is I have a button in the cab that says "Locking Diff" and a sticker on the door and tells me to use it only in emergencies.

Gotta go to work now but this guy sounds like he has my issue, albeit different circumstances.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/99837-rear-axle-locking-up.html

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  4. Oct 16, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    Codemonkey3

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma
    Okay, so backed out of a space, put it in drive, made sure I was locked in that gear and hit the gas. The engine rev'd up and I didn't go anywhere, after a few seconds of pushing on the gas there was a "clunk" and I took off all normal and dandy. Same clunk you hear when you take off 4WD and same noise my old, shitty transmission on my old Taco made.

So, I checked my transmission fluid and it's brown and smells like a tackle box so it does seem like a transmission problem, but should be easy as changing the fluid.

I believe that Taco's also have E-brake issues like this? But I doubt that's what it is. All the other things I've experienced and even minor things I didn't notice before all point to changing the tranny fluid. I can read "low/bad tranny fluid" symptom lists and nod my head for most of them (minus the serious, damaging ones thank god).

Hopefully I can pawn that off on my Dealer and get him to do it. Also my O2 light came back so he'll fix that for sure.

5. Aug 6, 2014 at 3:32 PM
    TacoREX

TacoREX -TacoREX

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    NORCAL
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco 2.7 5spd
    2.5" lift, 32's, CB, DIY HiLift Bed Mount, AllPro Sliders
    Ok bringing this back from the dead, but I've heard that in some cases the auto transmission may not have enough voltage to activate solenoids if the battery starts dipping below 12volts (which can happen due to cold weather, rain) when the battery is dying. Anyway, if the problem still exists now that its almost been a year, this might be worth looking into.

To Top