1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission Overheat (?)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KwanX, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Jun 20, 2010 at 4:09 AM
    KwanX

KwanX [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RB
    TPA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toy Taco
    6" lift n 31's
    Hi all - need some advice please & ty.

Just got home from 12 hour drive after a long day on the lake - so if it doesnt make sense, I'll add more later :) and can get some pix if needed.

Setup:
    -06 Taco TRD Sport w/ factory tow package, Auto Trans
    -6" lift, 31" Nito Terra Grapplers
    -Towing 4500lb'ish tandem axel boat trailer with brakes
    -55.5k miles, I have owned the truck since new
    -I have never had any kind of tranny service (hah that sounds funny) outside of whatever the typical jiffy lube 21 point service.

Scenerio:
    Day 1 towed boat from Tampa to Atlanta (500miles)
    Day 3 towed from ATL to SC(120miles)
    Day 9 towed from SC to Tampa (510 miles)
    -The most I have ever towed the boat before was about 45mins to an hour away.
    -The truck was working hard, spending about 50% of the time in 5th, and 50% of the time the gear about 200rpm below it. wasnt using cruise control.

About 60 miles from home this morning, stopped to refuel and saw oilish splatters all over the boat. Followed it back up the right side of the truck and under the hood. It has splattered most of the right half of the engine including the underside of the hood. Checked the oil and power steering fluid to be normal. Small red puddle in flat spot shows it as ATF. It was dripping a bit underneath, but I could not pinpoint the location or a place to check the ATF level.

After not finding any way to check it and waiting 30 mins for it to cool down, knowing it wasnt the best choice, I tenderly drove the last 60 miles at 45mph/1500ish RPM and made it home without issue.

So question is now what should I do?

Should I go to Toy and see if its covered under power train warranty (which I am guessing is 60k miles)? If so what should I say/not say to get the best chance of service?

I thought the factory tow package had the transmission cooler?

I got smarts and can fix most things if pointed in the right direction.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Jun 20, 2010 at 5:29 AM
    28Gauge

28Gauge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Grapevine, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Sockmonkey Graphics, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Dee Zee Bed Mat, Map Light/Dome Light LED's, Flo-Pro Muffler w/Stainless Steel Tip, Dome Light/Map Light Mod, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, LED Cupholder Mod, Grillcraft with TOYOTA emblem, Vision 375 Warrior Wheels, Extra Bed D Ring Mod, TRD Skidplate, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, Front 5100's set at zero with Eibach springs, Toytec 1.5" rear TSB add-a-leaf springs, Toytec swaybar relocate kit, Katzkin Leather Seating, Front Window Tint
    If you have the tow package, you should have an extra little radiator behind the grill on the drivers side. I would check that first, then call up Toyota and see if this is covered by the power train warranty.

3. Jun 20, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Definately have Toyota look at it under powertrain warrantee.

But first, before you arrive at the dealer - VERIFY that it is under warrantee!! I can forsee them trying to wiggle out of the warrantee claim and try to charge you for diagnosing & repairs.

Before going to the dealer, try and locate the exact location of the leak. The system should not leak regardless of overheating. If the transmission was overheating - there should've been some sort of warning light and/or fail-safe mechanism to prevent the tranny from destroying itself when it overheats.

To me, sounds like you developed a leak in the lines somewhere. I was also thinking 'breather' overflow - but I don't even know where the breathers are located on these trucks.

4. Jun 21, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    That could be you first problem.. Hopefully they did not touch transmission on that truck. Wrong ATF could be a problem
    2. Make sure you have factory tow package (check for tranny cooler - tiny radiator in front of main rdiators)
    3. You need to figure out where the leak is coming from

5. Jun 21, 2010 at 7:47 AM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Whats the mileage on your truck?
    I would first call the 1800 number and complaint like a mother******! Talk about how you don't feel like you truck is realiable and how you've only owned toyota's and never had anything like this happen before. Then they will set u up with a customer service rep at your local dealership. They usually take good care of you when you've called the 1800 number because they have to report back to toyota corp on what they did to satisfy you. Best of luck!

6. Jun 21, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    DonL

DonL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Prescott, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    Monster Exhaust, Shell, 5100's all around, Airlift airbags, Hankook Atm, K&M air filter
    This might or might not help. I have a '08 Taco, Offroad. 6sp mamual, yow package. I was towing my travel trailer this May up some steep grades and was getting gear oil on the front of my trailer. It's not the first time I've towed up this climb but never a leak. It was the transfer case blowing gear oil out the breather on top. Stopped at a Toy dealer and had it checked. after it cooled down everything was filled p to specks. They thought the TC was over filed at the factory. No problems since. I had trouble on a Chevy truck's rear diff years ago. It did the same thing but was never over filled. Don

7. Jun 21, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    KwanX

KwanX [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RB
    TPA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toy Taco
    6" lift n 31's
    Thx for the replies - called the dealership & they said power train was still under warranty...Unfortunately after diagnostic they found that the tubes from the tranny to the cooler were rubbing on the lift kit and frayed causing the leak, so it wont be covered under warranty. 263$ to replace them - could have been a lot worse I spose!

8. Jun 21, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    darn the luck

9. Jun 21, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    YotaDude01

YotaDude01 Kentucky Boy

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    01' TRD off-road
    glad to hear it was just the lines. lucky you caught it before it ranout of fluid and then you would have had big troubles

10. Jun 21, 2010 at 9:41 AM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    Dont have them do it. Do it urself, and this time use steel braded lines to prevent the same stuff from happening.

11. Jun 21, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Steel braided lines for the transmission?

The lines are already hard steal lines. If they're routed properly - and away from the whatever they were rubbing againest, he'll be fine.

12. Jun 21, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB

Yea that way they will flex away when rubing on the lift, and they tend to be more durable and less likely to brake. You guys have seen that before?

13. Jun 21, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    The transmission lines are hardened steal and should have a 'fixed' mounting location. They don't flex and shouldn't flex. In fact, the lines shouldn't be anywhere near where rubbing would occur and I'm not sure why they were rubbing in the first place. Seems kinda odd....

KwanX - did they show you exactly where it was rubbing and causing the leak?? Do you have any pictures?

14. Jun 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB

My neighbor owns a 2008 silverado, and had the same problem. His were rubbing upfront between the coil and fender.

Here are the lines that I'm talking about:

2pzgtq8_d3a96c26fb297d5710d5f2e8399061b3c44ca6a8.jpg

9sdkip_8eadc39775e9064bdb51fb843b46d252feff951d.jpg

2hxys0m_6825439dfe46bae87dbfe1a79340654bd1d04a7b.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top