1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

transmission problem?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by crazyengineer, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Jul 28, 2011 at 6:51 PM
    crazyengineer

crazyengineer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    ok guys,
    i have a 2005 taco (double cab trd offroad with v6, if this is needed) it has the 6 speed manual transmission in it and i have an odd grinding noise.
    as i shift into 3rd gear and every so often 4th (but mainly just 3rd) the higher the RPMs, the more grinding and more vibration through the shift nob. if the RPMs are in idle speed, there is no grinding that i can detect. the truck has 104k miles on it, i know the transmission hasn't been serviced since i got it (about 60k miles)

any ideas on what this is?

I really need to know how serious it could be, as i am in south west louisiana and have to drive to north-east TN on saturday and sunday

thanks in advance for any advice or ideas given

2. Jul 28, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    tdubya72

tdubya72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tracy
    Longview, TX
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD 4x4 DC SuperWhite
    ARB Bumper, WARN Synthetic M8000, ARB intensity LED Floods, OME suspension all around. 18 Fuel Revolvers with Wrangler MTR Kevlar.
    If it is just in the one gear mainly I would suspect transmission internal issue. Maybe synchro?

3. Jul 28, 2011 at 7:10 PM
    crazyengineer

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Warn Winch and Bumper Guard, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Undercover Bed Cover, TRD Kenwood Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, JL 13.5 inch pancake sub
    i know very little about transmissions (VERY little)
    but that is kinda what i felt like to me, i am gonna have it checked by someone tomorrow (just found out).

i am praying that is what it is and not something that will completely cause me to have to get the transmission replaced

4. Jul 28, 2011 at 7:18 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    It's hard to diagnose a transmission problem without actually hearing the noise or feeling the vibration. I've read lots of threads on TW about the throw out bearings being pieces of crap. So maybe start there? :notsure:

5. Jul 28, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    crazyengineer

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    well, the sound is almost like ramming it sideways in gear and gets a grating noise

6. Jul 28, 2011 at 7:50 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    That doesn't sound like a throw out bearing. If it was it would change when pressing the clutch in and out. Sounds like internal transmission damage :(. Take it to an ASE certified transmission mechanic and they can def give you a better diagnosis. That sucks man:(:(

7. Jul 28, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    crazyengineer

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    joy....i am praying it is a synchronization thing,
    there is a local mechanic that is my uncle's friend about 2 or 3 minutes from their house so i think he is gonna check it out for me tomorrow morning (idk if he is a transmission guy, but he can at least give me a better idea of it)

so hopefully it will help

also, it sometimes pops out of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. it mainly happens in 2nd and 3rd though

8. Jul 29, 2011 at 10:07 AM
    crazyengineer

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    doenst go away when depressed, it grinds whenever i am putting into 3rd, but once it is in, it works fine

9. Jul 29, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    crazyengineer

Member:
    First Name:
    patrick
    Bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    ok, thanks for the advice man

Products Discussed in

To Top