1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission Strength?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Cheeto6182, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Oct 27, 2009 at 10:10 AM
    Cheeto6182

Cheeto6182 [OP] Cheeto

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Offroad DoubleCab
    JBA Headers, Custom Snorkel/Ram-Air Intake, Spal Electric Fan Conversion, TBS lol, Borla Exhaust, ToyTec Coilovers, Old Man Emu Rear Leafs, Bilstein 5100's, Alpine system (type R's), 4.56 Gearing, 285/75/R16, Bead Lock Rims, Bed Carpeting, SoftTopper, Ram Air intake Mod, URD MAF, Dash Dyno, One Piece Drive-Shaft Conversion, Bed Cubby Led Lights, 12,500 Lbs winch, Expediation bed racking system, Hella Lights, Custom front winch bumper
    After doing the engine mods on my 05 Tacoma (4.0) I'm wondering how strong the transmission is. With my oversize tires and increased power Ive gotta be abusing the tranny. Does anybody know how strong the 2005 5 spd automatic is? And how strong is the rear end that came with the TRD Off-Road? I've done the 4.56 gearing to help out so far.

2. Oct 27, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    oriosmit

oriosmit Morons leading morons=Win!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Orion
    Hudson, WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Taco
    TRD Cold Air intake
    The trans should be fine. This is the same unit they had behind the 4.7L V-8's in the Tundra's.

3. Oct 27, 2009 at 10:22 AM
    Cheeto6182

Cheeto6182 [OP] Cheeto

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    JBA Headers, Custom Snorkel/Ram-Air Intake, Spal Electric Fan Conversion, TBS lol, Borla Exhaust, ToyTec Coilovers, Old Man Emu Rear Leafs, Bilstein 5100's, Alpine system (type R's), 4.56 Gearing, 285/75/R16, Bead Lock Rims, Bed Carpeting, SoftTopper, Ram Air intake Mod, URD MAF, Dash Dyno, One Piece Drive-Shaft Conversion, Bed Cubby Led Lights, 12,500 Lbs winch, Expediation bed racking system, Hella Lights, Custom front winch bumper
    Thanks! The "TBS LOL" mod is my throttle body space laugh out loud mod. according to research the TBS is worthless on the 2nd gen tacomas. I put it on because I got it free along with a wet shot NOS kit. I figured the point behind the TBS was to mix fuel with air, maybe it'll do the same thing with the NOS because of the location the nozzle gets installed... I have yet to NOS it though. Any thoughts on this theory? Maybe there is a use for the TBS afterall

4. Oct 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    NOS :eek: omg your kidding,right.

5. Oct 27, 2009 at 6:08 PM
    Cheeto6182

Cheeto6182 [OP] Cheeto

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Yea NOS makes me nervous too, thats why I haven't put it in. According to the kit there is a 25-100+ adjustable setting so maybe a little restraint (25 hp) could be fun. Some research says NOS has a bad rep but can be great if it's done right, others say it's nothing but trouble. Is there something about the high-compression 4.0 1GR that makes NOS more hazardous than usual?

6. Oct 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM
    TexasIslandBoy

TexasIslandBoy THE RED DRAGON!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Texas. SPI
    Vehicle:
    07' trd offroad 4X4 (For Sale)
    pro comp 6inch lift 35'' tires moto 950's radfo coilovers magnaflow exhaust 5/16" front skidplate usa spec ipod interface tree pin strip mod dry drop in filter full size BFG KM2 spare
    my buddy put it in his dads f350 v10 with out his dad knowing and his dad loved it, it never gave him a problem and he used it a bunch

Products Discussed in

To Top