1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transporting Dirt Bikes w/Rear Tire Carrier

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Brewsy, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Apr 3, 2017 at 11:52 AM
    Brewsy

Brewsy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    12 DblCab SB OR
    Weathertechs, Behind-the-grill Hella 500's, TC UCA's, King front and rear coilovers, Icon AAL, Pelfreybilt sliders, BMC, bed light bar w/rigid duallies, engine and transfer skids, BFG A/T 285/75-R16, Distinct OR light bar w/30" Rigid SR
    Hi guys, so I'm considering a rear bumper with a tire carrier setup on my short bed. But every now and then I go riding dirtbikes with friends. Anybody found a way to carry one or two dirtbikes with a similar rear bumper setup?

I don't go often enough or have the available space to invest in a trailer. And I have yet so see a hitch mounted rack that is extended and sturdy enough to carry the load past the tire. Any ideas or recommendations?

Sorry if this has been asked before, did a search and couldn't find this specifically.

2. Apr 3, 2017 at 1:38 PM
    CiscoSF

CiscoSF Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
  3. Apr 3, 2017 at 7:21 PM
    redz80

redz80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brampton, ON
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 TRD 4x4 SWB
  4. Apr 3, 2017 at 8:35 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    One bike is doable but I can't think of any way you're going to get two on there due to the weight; the fact that it's cantilevered out makes it that much worse. Even with only one bike you're probably going to need to upgrade your rear suspension unless you're riding something small and lightweight. My DRZ was a bit of a pig.

If you don't have a shell on the back an option I've seen folks use is to put a piece of plywood in the bed to extend it far enough to carry bikes. Obviously you have to do something to secure the front of the sheet it so it doesn't flip up when loading and unloading.

There are some smaller single bike trailers made to haul bikes that stand on end or even break down for smaller storage if you have a little bit of room; they aren't cheap though. Ex https://bulldogfoldingtrailers.com/
    The least expensive ideas I've seen are folks buying the small Harbor Freight trailers and putting a motorcyle rail on them (several examples of HF the tiny HF trailers here: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/show-me-your-open-or-enclosed-motorcycle-trailer.419752/). When I was into VW buses several of the guys in the camping club pulled dirt bikes or scooters that way. They're small and light enough that you can flip them up against the side of your house out of the way as well.

DRZ400s is on a steel carrier and the truck has OME Dakars on the rear (no add-a-leaf). The loading ramp is secured on the hauler behind the bike. The truck is not on level ground but it sat level with the bike even with some camping gear in the back. The camper/shed is at my buddy's hunting land; that's an older Suzuki quad with the spray tank in front of my truck.

Something else to note, and it's probably more applicable in CA than SC, the bike obscures the left side tail light. I had trailer lights mounted on the hitch hauler- another added expense. Just something to figure into the costs.
    IMGP2477_zps95e0b773_b5a5ae7d37263e5467fa5ae7a97b3c7a6692cdfe.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  5. Apr 3, 2017 at 8:38 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    I want a swing out but not being able to have the tailgate down sucks