1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Traveling from Ak to Wisconsin Need some tips;

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by httuner, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Oct 6, 2016 at 8:16 PM
    httuner

httuner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD-OffroadPckg
    AFe Rebel Catback Exhaust, AFe GT Momentum Air Intake, Method Wheels, Bilstein 5100, Rigid 30" SR2 Light Bar, Rigid 10" SR Light Bar. Lots of Love
    So, while everyone is coming up here; I decided I'm going to make the trip down to Wisconsin to visit some family members in my Taco;

All tires are good; Maintenance all done- Now for the trip; Would you recommend I enter back into the US through Washington(This adds an extra 10hours of driving to my trip but maybe its safer?) Or should I take the route that Google Maps is showing me which I re-enter back into the US through North Dakota (Which seems to me like I'll be spending more time in Canada since it cuts across canada; but the fastest route).

I want to take a handgun with me through the trip; but it seems that's a no-go for going through Canada. Maybe a big knife? lol

I'm nervous about this trip since I've never done it and it'll be quite a new adventure; How much of a difference is fuel cost in Canada compare to USA prices? More expensive?

I'm going to prep some additional gear; air pump for the tires; tire plugs; Although I'm pretty sure these K02 tires will hold out just fine. First Aid Kit; Flares(Can you carry flares through Canada?)

Any tips from anyone whom has driven to AK or from AK ? Thank you all in advance

~ One more thing; I want to return back to Alaska around middle of November; I'd figure winter will be here then; how are the roads in the winter?

2. Oct 18, 2016 at 12:34 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    You can take a handgun through Canada if it and you meet the requirements. Off the top of my head it has to have a barrel longer than 4.25" and magazines less than 10rds, be approved on paperwork arranged prior to crossing the border, pay a fee, and remain locked up the entire time.

Fuel will be more expensive with the possibility of longer stretches without open stations in the winter. Take some gas cans to be safe. A full size matching spare wouldn't hurt to have. Warm clothes, a sleeping bag and food/water to keep you going if you get stuck.

3. Oct 18, 2016 at 12:42 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Leave the gun and knife at home

Products Discussed in

To Top