1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Traveling the USA!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ouyin2000, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Jun 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    So I'm taking the taco on a 10 day road trip next month from Edmonton, Ab to Halifax, NS. Most of the route will be through the USA, and I'm hoping to get ideas on what to do and places to see.

The drive will mostly be along I-94 then back into Ontario to see Niagara Falls, then along the I-90 into Massachusetts, then I-95 into New Brunswick.

Hoping to see the Mall of 'Merica, just to say I've been there. Mostly I would like to see some golf courses along the way. Nothing too difficult, since I won't have all day to try and get my ball out of the rough.

Also looking for hotel suggestions. Hoping for 1 chain, to be able to get some free nights for staying with them so long.

Oh and I will have a TW.com sticker on the back of my canopy ;)

2. Jun 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM
    Doc35

Doc35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC MGM TRD Sport Prerunner
    The real Merica is below the Mason-Dixon line, enjoy as much as you can.

3. Jun 17, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Maybe you can rent a gun while you are there

4. Jun 18, 2012 at 5:17 PM
    ouyin2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    I thought about visiting a shooting range just to be able to fire some "exotic" weapons.

5. Jun 18, 2012 at 5:24 PM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    Now, that's funny OZ. "Rent a gun..." LOL! :oldglory:

6. Jun 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    1) not sure why you'd go in/out us/canada midway, ...seems more of a hassle..., why not just stay in the us and continue on 80 through northern OH, then move up the erie coast toward buffalo (probably be about the same distance...)?

2) not sure there is much to see in ND, ...there may be some nearby indian reservations that might be interesting, ...but from what i remember travelling on 94 through ND, there's pretty much nothing, at least not off the highway other than theodore roosevelt nat'l park (in western part)...

3) MN and WI - like ND, very rural, ..but they are scenic drives, rolling countryside that should be quite lush/green this time of year.... WI dells is a popular tourist area, so that may be worthwhile, it's near the hwy... WI is know for dairy/cheese, ...maybe you could get some souveneirs or food :D

4) Chicago... well unfortunately it's hard to go around it from the way you're coming from, ... i don't have anything nice to say about chicago...

5) northern IN, ..there are some large sand dunes along lake MI, ...IN dunes nat'l seashore or some such thing... that should be easy to get to from 94...

6) MI, ..i've never been to MI, but i'd imagine there are some neat small towns through there....

7) if you decide to go through northern OH, ..camp perry and cedar point (amusement park) are along the way...

8) western PA and NY (erie shore), ...these are snowbelt areas, i'd imagine some neat small towns and places to stop...

7. Jun 20, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    ouyin2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Thanks for the advice :)

8. Jun 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    sure, glad to help!:cool:

9. Jun 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    ouyin2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    So here is another question.

Since I'm planning on crossing the border back into Canada at Sarnia, and then re-entering the USA in Niagara, would I be able to declare the $500 of products in Ontario and then ANOTHER $500 when I get into New Brunswick?

10. Jul 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM
    ouyin2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Starting my adventure on Friday!

11. Jul 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    I would imagine that would be the case, since you already declared something, you wouldn't have to declare it again.

12. Jul 14, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    ouyin2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In Fargo ND!

13. Jul 14, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    Keep us posted on your travels! :oldglory::canada:

14. Jul 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    IluvTEA

IluvTEA Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Super White
    Cooper ST 265/75/16 on Flat Black TRD OR wheels, window tint, blacked-out badges, front mudflap trim, BHLM, Base Black Rear Bumper Swap, Color-matched grille, Custom Relentless Fab plate bumper powdercoated flat wrinkle black and "TACOMA" backlit with Drunknsloth LEDs, Camburg 2.5" coilovers, LR UCAs, Power sliding rear window, Back-up camera anytime, FX-R projectors/Morimoto 3Five Ballasts/D2S bulbs 5000K, Black WeatherTechs, heated TRD seats with Roadwire Graphite Leather, OEM Roof Rack, front mud flap delete, Black Level 8 Guardians, TreadWright 285/75/16 with KG ...
    I was born and raised in Michigan. If you want to see something cool, visit Frankenmuth. It looks like its only about 30 minutes north of your route but it would be worth the drive. It's a small town that is inspired and built like a town you would find in Germany. It is also home to the world's largest Christmas store! It is seriously the size of a Super Walmart! Its open year 'round and only carries Christmas stuff. You'd probably find some great deals this time of year.

If you want to go waaay out of your way... visiting Mackinaw (or sometimes spelled Mackinac) island is pretty neat. Its between the Upper and Lower Peninsula of MI and is only accessible by boat. Vehicles aren't allowed on the island but there are horse-drawn carriages and lots of stuff to do including to tour the fort. I guess since you are so far north now, you could just drive through the UP, visit Mackinaw then drive down through the LP, visit Frankenmuth, then over to Sarnia.

Wow, sorry for all the talking. Enjoy the rest of your trip!!

15. Jul 14, 2012 at 8:10 PM
    ouyin2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Hey that sounds like a good idea, thanks :)

16. Jul 14, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    What are you towing behind you?

17. Jul 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    YellowDog01

YellowDog01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4
    :thumbsup:

18. Jul 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    ouyin2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Just a little utility trailer with a couple of boxes full of misc stuff for weight.

19. Jul 16, 2012 at 12:13 AM
    BRUIN8124

BRUIN8124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD 4X4 OFF ROAD DCSB
    Once you hit Maine check out:

Old Orchard Beach - nice beach lots of Canadians

Portland - nice city lots of good food, grab a lobster and a local beer

Freeport - L. L. Bean

Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor - a little out of the way but very cool

Baxter State Park - again, a little out of the way but very cool (like everything in Maine)

Just a few suggestions... I can give more specifics if interested.

Safe travels, have fun!

20. Jul 20, 2012 at 4:40 AM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    Just in Maine myself. We are heading from Bangor to Portland today

Products Discussed in

To Top