1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD cold air intake question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Wood, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Jul 23, 2008 at 8:15 PM
    Wood

Wood [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Recently purchased an '06 DC SR5 and came complete with a TRD intake and TRD cat back exhaust. My question is do I need to oil the filter for the intake? I do a fair bit of driving on dirty/dusty roads. Have also heard of guys having issues with MAF sensors using oiled filters like K&N and just wondering if this is a concern with the TRD. Thanks.

2. Jul 23, 2008 at 8:18 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Personally, since you bought the truck with the existing CAI, I'd get an AEM Dryflow or AFE ProDry S cone filter and replace the TRD one (Yes, the TRD is oiled).

3. Jul 23, 2008 at 8:18 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yeah....those need to be cleaned/reoiled periodically. you can probably buy an afe pro dry s filter to fit onto the trd intake though.......better flow than an oiled filter, all you do is clean and dry it, no oiling required. then, you'll have no worries about fouling out the maf sensor.:)

4. Jul 23, 2008 at 8:18 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
  5. Jul 23, 2008 at 8:22 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yeah, i know......we must have been typing at the same time:)!

6. Jul 23, 2008 at 8:23 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    From what I've read the TRD is an oiled filter manufatured by AFE for Toyota. You might check their web sight if your instructions didn't get passed down.
    I'm sure it would be similar to any oiled filter using a recharge kit to clean.
    Spray on the cleaner allow to set 10 min., rinse with tap water from clean to dirty side out, allow to dry completely naturally, and re-oil where the pleats are covered but on overly coated. This is how K&N recommends cleaning theirs.
    As above replacing with a dry type would ease all of your worries.

7. Jul 23, 2008 at 8:30 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    ^Yeah, you SHOULDN'T have a problem with an oiled filter if you do it properly but when it comes to air filters, I'm anti-oil. IMO, it's old technology and new vehicles have too many sensors and other electronics that you can mess up so I just feel like, why take the chance? I also believe a K&N destroyed my MAF sensor in my '05 Altima 3.5SE, btw. No proof and I did never even oiled it myself but I feel that it did.

To Top