1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Off Road DC LB or SB

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by smgemelos, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Nov 25, 2015 at 4:47 AM
    smgemelos

smgemelos [OP] Member

Member:
    Trying to decide between a new 2016 OR DC LB or DC SB - here's my dilemma...

I currently have a 2012 DCLB - I got the LB because I figured you can never go wrong with more bed space. Mostly we carry mountain bikes in the bed - convenient for throwing the bikes in the back for a weekend ride, and plenty of room for bikes and luggage and camping gear when going on a trip. But always concerned about theft - the bikes were locked, but the luggage and camping gear could easily be taken.

Eventually, I got a camper shell - takes care of security - but lost the convenience of just throwing the bikes in the bed, so we added a hitch bike rack - talk about crazy long DC LB with a hitch bike rack hanging 4 ft off the back (7ft when we add the 4 bike extension).

So here I am, looking at the new 2016 OR DC - and I see the factory tri-fold cover. And I am thinking I can leave the cover off most of the time and have the convenience of an open bed most of the time, and then throw the cover on for road trips. BUT it's only available for the SB.

I know there are bed covers from 3rd parties for the LB - I just never liked the way the mounted - covering the bedrails. The factory system looks clean when the cover is open/removed.

So, I've been contemplating - maybe the SB is fine for what I need... 13 inches shorter will be easier to maneuver in tight spaces. Although I never had a issue with the LB (you get use to it) - this situation has had me wonder if having a shorter truck would be nice.

If Toyota had a cover for the LB, I probably I would have just gotten the DCLB with cover - but this situation made me pause and think LB or SB.

What do you all think? DCSB with Tri-fold cover? or LB with 3rd party cover?

2. Nov 25, 2015 at 6:00 AM
    Toneloc

Toneloc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    I ordered a LB OR and then saw a SB OR on the lot and re-thought my situation.

I have a 28 x 28 garage and still wouldn't want a longer bed. But I like to work in my garage.

I went with the SB, and everyday I go out to my garage I'm happy with my decision.

I am buying a small trailer Friday so that I have the capability to haul longer / bigger stuff.

From what I've seen in person and on here, I'm not a fan of the factory cover.

Personally I don't think they look that great (they look kind of cheap to me)...and lots of complaints on them leaking on here.

I think the aftermarket roll-up covers are a lot simpler and hopefully will be more water tight.

Though I realize security can be an issue with a roll-up cover....but will keep the honest people honest.

If you like the long bed, then I would get the long bed with the aftermarket cover.

If you think you won't mind having the short bed, and want the convenience of a shortbed for maneuvering then I would go shortbed and still get an aftermarket cover.

3. Nov 25, 2015 at 6:29 AM
    Tacogram

Tacogram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apple Valley. CA
    Have you considered 4Runner with hitch bike rack? Serious question.

4. Nov 25, 2015 at 7:01 AM
    ScTuna

ScTuna Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma
    Why can't you just take your bikes into the hotel room at night? If you had a 4Runner thieves would just smash the window.

5. Nov 25, 2015 at 7:40 AM
    TacoJonn

TacoJonn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB Sport 4x4, '78 FJ40
    DCLB with hitch rack. All ya need. This is my 2002.

Rack1.jpg

6. Nov 25, 2015 at 7:51 AM
    Slimmjay

Slimmjay Un-known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB Off-Road
    34's, Kings, SCS F5's.
    You've got a Access cab long bed. IIRC this has the same shorter wheelbase as a DCSB, which I would agree is much nicer for maneuvering, on and off road.

If OP is going to have a hitch rack anyways and put bikes out of the bed, then there's no reason to get the LB. I just throw my bikes in the back and lock them to one or more of the tie downs. Anything to keep the crack heads from just grabbing a bike and riding away quickly seems to be enough.

Get yourself a nice tailgate pad and drop them over the back. You'll still have room the bed for a good amount of gear and you can use the new tri fold cover when bikes are out.

IMG_2093.jpg

YotaLife406 likes this.
  7. Nov 25, 2015 at 10:42 AM
    smgemelos

smgemelos [OP] Member

Member:
    The bikes already do come into the hotel room at night -- there is no way we'd leave those outside overnight.

The issue was not about securing the bikes inside the truck - it was about securing the other contents, like camp chairs, tent, luggage, etc - while on a road trip. Every time we make a pit stop or stop for lunch, we always worried about someone snagging something out of the bed.

So, we opted for a camper shell - kind of like TacoJohn. Which was great for trips.

But for everyday use, the camper was an annoyance. I'd rather load the bikes in the truck bed like Slimmjay. Thsi is what we use to do until we got the camper shell.

So, this time around - no camper shell.

I was thinking the factory tri-fold cover -- for daily use, we go without the cover and load the bikes in the bed like Slimmjay. For trips we put the cover on, and load the bikes on a bike rack like TacoJohn. The tri-fold cover seems easy to install and remove as needed - much more so than a camper shell.

ScTuna[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Nov 25, 2015 at 10:45 AM
    smgemelos

smgemelos [OP] Member

Member:

This is what we use to do before we got the camper shell -- so simple, so convenient, and easy to carry up to 6 bikes if needed. And sometime bikes and people as well :)

Slimmjay - this photo is promising - you say the bikes it in the SB like that, and there is still room for gear? Ever wished you had a LB?

9. Nov 25, 2015 at 11:17 AM
    Slimmjay

Slimmjay Un-known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB Off-Road
    34's, Kings, SCS F5's.
    there's enough room to stuff bags and such in the back, over a foot of space between the back of the tires and the wall, and these are will big long Downhill bikes as you can see.. Having a long bed would just give you that much more space. I don't regret getting the SB as they didn't make a LB with the Off-road package, and that was more important to me.

10. Nov 25, 2015 at 11:32 AM
    smgemelos

smgemelos [OP] Member

Member:

Thanks for the info. The SB is looking very doable for what we need.

Products Discussed in

To Top