1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Off-Road Or SR5?

Discussion in '4Runners' started by Rustytaco71, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Apr 7, 2019 at 8:33 PM
    Rustytaco71

Rustytaco71 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    Lately my want for a 4Runner and ditching my Tacoma keeps growing every day. Just waiting for the right light used 2016+ 4Runner to show up at any Toyota lot near me or within a decent radius. I keep looking at SR5’s and the TRD Off-Road. Preference is the TRD Off-Road. I love the look with the hood scoop and crawl control features. I know it doesn’t have thr 3rd row seating, and some come equipped with KDSS and some don’t (I don’t want KDSS). Now the question comes, to those of you who either have the SR5 or TRD Off-Road, any regrets and do you wish you would’ve gone with the other? I don’t mind the SR5, but the aesthetics of the TRD Off-Road are a huge plus for me.

I did have a 2011 4runner, SR5. I know the interior is virtually the same minus a few minor enhancements such as the cluster and head unit. It definitely felt more “off-road” or adventure oriented inside the vehicle compared to the Tacoma as well, which was a plus for me.

Thanks all, have a great week.

2. Apr 9, 2019 at 5:30 PM
    Roody

Roody Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    GX460
    I went TRDORP and only regret not getting it in blue or red.

Would the SR5 have been totally adequate? Absolutely. But the TRDOR has the equipment I wanted given that this is a long-term keeper for me, and it feels just that bit more special than the SR5 to make it worth the money. Plus, it was only about $1500 or so difference in price between the two and I could hardly add the rear locker for that difference, let alone all the other equipment and wheels, hood, etc.

Every once-in-a-while I think back on my decision and how going SR5 could have saved me a little money, but in the end I don't regret going TRDOR at all. And I especially don't regret not stretching for a TRD Pro.

3. Apr 9, 2019 at 5:47 PM
    Rustytaco71

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    What color is your 5th gen? I keep eyeing a black one at my dealer but up-keeping the paint sounds like a nightmare. The biggest things for me is the off road version comes with the hood scoop and the crawl control features. From what I’ve read they don’t come with 3rd row seating which sucks but isn’t a deal breaker as the 3rd row seating in my 2011 is very crammed and not comfortable for whoever sits there.

4. Apr 10, 2019 at 4:07 AM
    Roody

Roody Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    GX460
    Mine is Magnetic Gray. I owned a black Tahoe very briefly and will hopefully never own a black vehicle again. And you're right, no 3rd row available on TRDOR trim. As for the scoop and Crawl Control, you can always swap hoods but it would be almost impossible (and expensive) to retrofit an SR5 with Crawl Control and the overhead console used to control it.

5. Apr 10, 2019 at 8:08 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    I had a 14 TE ( now called a TRD OR) and have a 17 SR5.

Honestly the rear locker is the only advantage I can think of. I thought CC and terrain select were lame and never used them. The hood scoop sucks, lots of glare off it. I do like the wheels though, and put them on my SR5.

My SR5 is 97% as good as my TE was. I'd buy another of either but if money is an issue I'd go SR5. I went SR5 on this one because money was an issue.

Check the VIN before you buy a used 16+ SR5, most of the used ones I looked at were rental vehicles, which I'd never buy.

camillethetoy likes this.
  6. Apr 10, 2019 at 8:41 AM
    Rustytaco71

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    Yeah rental vehicles will be at the bottom. I’d be buying through Toyota, and getting one with under 20k miles and negotiate in a 7yr/100k warranty as I think used cars have the most wiggle room compared to buying new. I think the interior is slightly different in the off road version. I do get the glare though, my Tacoma has the hood scoop and during sunny days if it gets hit by the sun just right it’s crazy how much glare come see off that thing. Thanks for your input man!

7. Apr 10, 2019 at 11:43 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    Interior is the same except OR gets a T case lever and the knobs on the ceiling console for 4lo driving aids.

8. Apr 10, 2019 at 11:47 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    This. The rear locker is only available on the Off-Road/Trail. We have an SR5 and it has A-Trac but found the third row seats to be more useful to us than a locker would. I do get what you're saying though, the off-road does look good and the Pro even better.

I've had Tacoma's for a while now and have only used the locker a handful of times.

TacoJoeBro likes this.
  9. Apr 25, 2019 at 11:57 AM
    TacoJoeBro

TacoJoeBro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Joe
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB OffRoad
    6112/5160 Icon RXT JBA KO2
    I've got a Trail/Off-Road. Personally I like the looks of the scoop, don't really use Crawl or MTS. Locker has been used a few times, but I feel ATRAC is very impressive, and does the job just fine for most people. (Myself included)

10. May 4, 2019 at 10:20 PM
    WhiteTaco19

WhiteTaco19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sin City
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R TRD OR
    I paid only 1K more for the OR than the SR5.

IMO, for so many more features you get in the OR vs SR5, you'd have to be pretty silly to not pay an extra 1K.

camillethetoy likes this.
  11. May 6, 2019 at 5:05 AM
    Roody

Roody Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    GX460
    Especially since it more than pays for itself on the resale end

WhiteTaco19[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. May 8, 2019 at 12:56 AM
    Knight405

Knight405 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 2021 SR5 Premium 4Runner
    Still under warranty
    Try Hertz car sales. Wouldn’t recommend Hertz unless it’s a Toyota or something really reliable. You don’t know what people do to cars when they rent them.

13. Sep 15, 2019 at 7:21 AM
    AtomAnt

AtomAnt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    South Cackalacky
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    What do you plan to do as far as mods? If your going to be replacing things, just get an SR5.

Products Discussed in

To Top