1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Off Road vs Sport

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CoastRider212, Apr 22, 2023.

1. Apr 22, 2023 at 2:18 PM
    CoastRider212

CoastRider212 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello,

I’m on the coast in BC and looking for a second gen double cab tacoma that can handle logging road trips (especially in the winter) and boat trips.

New to trucks but it sounds like the ideal for this purpose would be a TRD off road short box. However, I realize in this generation I haven’t seen many around and none yet for sale over a few months of watching.

We expect that we’ll take the truck on logging roads all seasons in order to access trails and camping, but probably not on too much narrower track or super bumpy stuff.

A few questions for those with experience:
    - Do you think a TRD Off Road is necessary, or could we get away with a Sport or even SR5?
    - How important is the short box part to off road use? Understand it effects both wheelbase and turning radius so seems better to be short
    - If you had to pick between short box and TRD off road which would you pick?

2. Apr 22, 2023 at 2:33 PM
    Dalegribble02

Dalegribble02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savona British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 4x4 meg grey sold
    Dobinson mrrs Deaver leafs archive garage hammer hangers.
    I handled everything fine with my sr5 4x4. Even did the whipsaw trail in it and got through just fine.

3. Apr 22, 2023 at 3:35 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    2005-2008 Off-Road trucks are fully open. No Auto-LSD.

Personally, I rarely use the locker.
    And would benefit more from an LSD in my use. If the truck is a 2009+ just get the OR.

4. Apr 22, 2023 at 3:38 PM
    BluberryBCtaco

BluberryBCtaco Making the magic happen

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Sport DCLB
    3in lift, Tow package, Any time 400w inverter, in cab outlet, vinyl floor, roof rack
    The TRD Sport should handle what you are looking for. Especially if you are in Lower Mainland or the island where it rarely snows.

Just keep in mind that it is limited in its capabilities if you want to go crawling or anything super serious, due to the lack of a Rear Diff Lock.
    Only Mechanical LSD or break controlled “LSD” for the Sport.

-A1: TRD OR is a great to have, I wanted one but getting it is difficult in BC. (One that met my criteria’s. Tow Pkg, no rust, long bed, budget, etc)

A2 & 3: I compromised and got a sport long bed. I mainly use mine for work carrying and hauling cargo or trailers.

But that LSD tho…. I guess if I get stuck I always have a friend nearby to pull me out.
    If I had to choose my dream ride. TRD Off Road long bed with Tow Package and manual transmission.
    but OR and long bed don’t exist together.

5. Apr 22, 2023 at 3:47 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Sport rear diff is stronger. Mechanical LSD is also overpowered by big tires.

6. Apr 22, 2023 at 3:49 PM
    Stuck Sucks

Stuck Sucks Aerodynamic styling with functional design

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    The Pacific Plate
    I have an Off Road long bed Access Cab -- I have the same short wheelbase as the 4-door short-bed guys, but get the convenience of a long bed (carrying dirt bike, camping stuff, Home Depot, etc.).

7. Apr 22, 2023 at 3:56 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    this is the way

Gear Jamin Jamie likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top