1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Off Road vs. TRD Pro...Worth it?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Brandoster, Mar 26, 2016.

?

Tacom TRD Off Road or TRD Pro?

1. Tacoma TRD Off Road

2. Tacoma TRD Pro

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mar 26, 2016 at 9:20 PM
    Brandoster

Brandoster [OP] New Member

Member:
    I apologize in advance if this has been posted somewhere else. I am interested in the Tacoma in the coming months possibly, I know the TRD Pro will be released sometime this fall and was just wondering what others think on if it is worth waiting or just go with the TRD Off Road. I know the shocks are different and a few other little things but will it be worth the wait?

Thanks All and I look forward to what others are thinking!

2. Mar 26, 2016 at 9:46 PM
    Craigski

Craigski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 lifted TRD O/R
    3 1/2" lift 33" tires Airbags Nfab steps Remote Start Thule Racks
    I been pondering same thing. I'm thinking the Pro will be a hot item, not enough of them available, thus dealers will be selling at high prices, so I may not be willing to go up to the cost it will take to get one. Not sure st this point where Toyota will be MSRP wise either, 42-45k?

Love the look & unique features of the Pro (less the oversized side TRD Pro emblems ) but I may just go for an off-road & mods from there.

FirstTacoma!! likes this.
  3. Mar 26, 2016 at 10:26 PM
    MiStiC NiNja

MiStiC NiNja Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harvey
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    I think the Pro is a nice truck if you want to buy it as is and go. As soon as you start swapping out the suspension, i don't see any benefit over the OR. Then you are left with color match, hood scoop, and blacked out tail lights and headlights. It would a tough sell for 45K (for me.) But everyone has different budgets, and if yours allows, I wouldn't mind having the look if the cost isn't a big factor.

Where I live (San Antonio) its hard enough finding a 4x4 TRD DC, so i'm sure the Pro's will be going for MSRP w/o any discounts. I got some money off my truck, and that wouldn't happen with the PRO. I start thinking about other truck options once I start hitting that price point.

Foggy Noggin likes this.
  4. Mar 26, 2016 at 10:50 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    After having experience with buying a 4Runner TRD Pro recently, the Tacoma TRD Pro is going to be hard to find, and dealers will be selling them for at and above MSRP. Like others above have said expect prices to be in the mid 40's.

To me, its a nice truck, but its not 45k nice. You can buy some pretty serious vehicles for 45k.

Get the Off Road.

agunday21, zerotimeouts and alf like this.
  5. Mar 27, 2016 at 6:45 AM
    SLACKBOY

SLACKBOY Toyota For Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Toyota Tacoma OR 4x4
    Blacked Out Emblems Wet Okole Seat Covers Installed Tinted Front Windows Weathertech Digital Floor Liners for the Front Plasti Dipped OF Grill - Removed BAMF Grill - MGM Installed Icon Stage 2 Kit. TRD Pro Wheels - 17's Ko2s installed (275 70 17) TRD PRO Rigid Led Fogs N Fab 3" Step Bars TRD Pro Auto Shift Knob TRD Pro Tail Lights
    I agree. Get the Offroad and then you can mod it the way you want.

6. Mar 27, 2016 at 7:13 AM
    Brandoster

Brandoster [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the replies, I also just found out the TRD Pro will not be offered in Inferno Orange which is my color preference so that turns me to the Off Road more as well.

7. Mar 27, 2016 at 7:15 AM
    SLACKBOY

SLACKBOY Toyota For Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Toyota Tacoma OR 4x4
    Blacked Out Emblems Wet Okole Seat Covers Installed Tinted Front Windows Weathertech Digital Floor Liners for the Front Plasti Dipped OF Grill - Removed BAMF Grill - MGM Installed Icon Stage 2 Kit. TRD Pro Wheels - 17's Ko2s installed (275 70 17) TRD PRO Rigid Led Fogs N Fab 3" Step Bars TRD Pro Auto Shift Knob TRD Pro Tail Lights
    I wouldn't want leather seats in my Offroad truck either. All of the accessories for the pro you could put on your Offroad later.

ResidentCarbon likes this.
  8. Mar 27, 2016 at 7:16 AM
    MVBassYak

MVBassYak Well-Known Member

Member:
    NeverNeverland MA
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRDOR DCSB
    In all honesty I like the suspension and headlights/ foglights from the Pro but that's about it. Scoop is nice also but that's not worth the 10k that it would cost me over the OR I bought. Plus I hate leather seats!!

9. Mar 27, 2016 at 8:34 AM
    Craigski

Craigski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 lifted TRD O/R
    3 1/2" lift 33" tires Airbags Nfab steps Remote Start Thule Racks
    Trust me: these will warrant $ over MSRP, just like Raptors did for a while.

seattlesurfer and BMWags like this.
  10. Mar 27, 2016 at 8:47 AM
    Johnny919

Johnny919 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
    It depends on what you are doing with it...the idea behind the truck is that it was designed for desert racing. Driving fast through the sand and going over bumps so that the shocks don't overheat.

If you plan on just doing mild off roading...then the off road is your best bet.

I don't plan on doing any desert racing, but i personally like the pro. Don't have the time or skills to mod my truck so that isn't an option.

Buy what you like. If you like the pro and can afford it then go for it. If you have the time and enjoy working on things then go for the off road and you could make it more capable than the pro.

Welcome to TW.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    koky09 likes this.
  11. Mar 27, 2016 at 8:52 AM
    jsinnard

jsinnard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    16 QS DCLB OR 4X4
    Not to mention you can get the OR in any color and bed length you want and have it NOW.

12. Mar 27, 2016 at 9:17 AM
    Gazziza

Gazziza Well-Known Member

Member:
    I actually like the Pro a lot. If you like it and can afford the Pro then get the Pro. You might get a lot of flack on this forum for getting (wanting) one but life is too short and at the end of the day it's your money and your truck. If you have no intentions of modding your truck and just want to drive it the way it is from factory then the Pro is a good choice. I wouldn't touch a thing if I got it except maybe tires. Also be prepared to wait and pay MSRP for it. You might have to wait about 6-8 months after it's released before getting one and getting one at a reasonable price. I sure as heck wouldn't pay more than MSRP for it so be patient and be persistent and try and get the deal you can get, which just might be at MSRP.

grrck and hotrod 15 like this.
  13. Mar 27, 2016 at 11:47 AM
    pocketsmcaaron

pocketsmcaaron Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '16 OR MT DCSB WHT Prior:'15 MT ,'94 MT
    Snugtop Rebel,TRD Pro Bilsteins,2" Block rear,SR Grill,TRD Beadlocks,Toyo AT 2s,Focal Experts,Kicker AmP & 10" Sub
    Yeah 15 pro's didn't budge off Msrp until 6+months post salesfloor and very hard to find, same will be true if not worse for '17s. You can do nearly same now with '16 OR for probably $4-5k less.
    Yes, factor in time to mod. However, less time, patience & effort than running around trying to find a pro. Off the bat, plan on spending an additional $700/800+ to replace those wtf toyota good year tires on Pro, more shameful imho than them being on an OR.
    If you go with OR '16 and ur dealer is fair like mine, research your mods then work something out with service & parts to cut same deal as vendors (like trdparts4u) before you sign dotted line to order/install. cuts costs/time factor--that's what I did.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Craigski likes this.
  14. Sep 6, 2016 at 6:29 PM
    nartmot

nartmot Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have been grappling with this decision as well (nice problem to have, isnt it?). When I build both the TRD Pro and TRD OR on the Toyota website, the price difference is only about 3k. My understanding is that the TRD Pro comes standard with the premium technology package with navigation, while the TRD OR needs to be configured with that package, which adds about $3600 to the price. If you consider the fact that you will be paying MSRP for the Pro due to supply and demand--and you may get 3-4K off MSRP on the OR--that brings the price difference to about $7K. $7K for the upgraded suspension, leather seats, exhaust, nicer wheels, skid plate, integrated LED fogs, and various trim pieces. It's all tested and assembled by Toyota, and its all covered by the Toyota warranty. This doesn't seem like a total ripoff to me but you are certainly are paying a premium to have it now vs waiting several months for the price to come down. Am I missing something here?

dbs1 likes this.
  15. Sep 6, 2016 at 9:07 PM
    db1984

db1984 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma DCLB Off-Road Premium 4X4 w/ Adv. Tech.
    Full front and rocker PPF, ceramic coating, driver/passenger window tint (20%)
  16. Sep 6, 2016 at 9:10 PM
    Lovci

Lovci Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma SR AC 4cyl M/T
    If they made an sr or sr5 with v6 manual I would have gotten that because I plan to mod heavily. That's my answer. Figure it out on your own.

josieonetooth likes this.
  17. Sep 6, 2016 at 9:21 PM
    MRBOND101

MRBOND101 TTE

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD-OR AC
    Would you pay 50k for a lackluster v6 a decent suspension and bland aesthetic options? Not I. To each their own though.

18. Sep 6, 2016 at 9:43 PM
    George1441

George1441 Much happier

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Vehicle:
    2016 Chevrolet Colorado Diesel
    U need or want all that stuff ?

nartmot[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Sep 6, 2016 at 9:50 PM
    Lovci

Lovci Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma SR AC 4cyl M/T
    Decent suspension. Come on now. I don't agree the cost is worth it but the suspension is good.

20. Sep 6, 2016 at 9:58 PM
    MRBOND101

MRBOND101 TTE

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD-OR AC
    It is decent, couldn't even upgrade stock UCA's or same crappy leafs. Sure I can appreciate all the hard work that went into the tuned suspension but for the price no way. Like I said to each their own who am I to tell someone how to spend their money.

Products Discussed in

To Top