1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD OR E locker

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Death_Stalker, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Aug 13, 2012 at 6:21 AM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker [OP] " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    SO im just curious to know more details about the factory rear diff. lock in the TRD OR pre runners as i have one. So i know that the vehicle is supposed to be stopped before you engage the locker. After that i know you are not supposed to go over 25 mph not exactly sure. What happens if you do go over the max speed? Does it mess up, or does it turn off by itself? The reason i ask this is because i went to the beach yesterday and had lots of loose sand. While driving not more than 5 mph i hit some sand that was very loose and kind got stuck. So i decided to engage the locker and i kinda floored the accelerator and i believe i hit around 20 - 30 mph with the wheels spinning and the truck moving slowly got out, seemed no pressure at all on the truck but wanted to see if doing that was wrong while the locker is engaged, will i break something if i do this again or will it automatically go in some kind of safe mode :confused:

2. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:33 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Nope. It's a locking collar, a shift fork, and a locking motor. I wouldn't advise running down the road with the rear end locked but... Toyota gives you the warnings to cover their asses. I wouldn't engage any faster than 5mph but you can run that locker basically as fast as you want.

I blew up a side gear (side gears are splined to and drive the axle shafts) at Moab, 700 miles from home, with some help from some other members we got the rear end manually locked in 2wd and I drove home like that (take note that since I had broke a side gear I only had one tire turning and the two axle shafts were not "locked" but I needed the rear end locked to be able to turn the other shaft/side gear) 700 miles at 60-75mph.

So yes, it's safe to use throttle to get unstuck even if you're spinning your tires over 25, or even at 75.
    No, theres no fail-safe and it won't cut out.
    You won't break anything, but remember only use the locker on loose or very slick surfaces or tire hopping and possibly breaking will occur if you attempt a turn. (Tires have different speeds as they go around a corner and need to turn at those different speeds if the surface won't give way to the tire you get binding and either the tire skips/hops or something breaks. More likely than not the tire will hop but... )

3. Aug 13, 2012 at 7:47 AM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker [OP] " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    aah i see. thanks for the info.

Products Discussed in