1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Question!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BigBro, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Feb 16, 2012 at 12:40 AM
    BigBro

BigBro [OP] Husband & Daddy ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2005, PreRunner, SR5, Crew Cab, Radiant Red
    Anytime Fog light mod, Rack Mounted OffRoad Lights, Rear Mounted Bed/Reverse Lights, Painted Hood Cover, Painted Lower Front Bumper, Replaced Rear Bumper from chrome to black.
    Sorry people I am still very new to Tacomas.... other than driving one and getting the oil changed, and loving the thing and washing waxing etc.

I tried to look on here but couldnt find my answer.

The section in the 1st gens. called "Year–to-Year Changes:"
    is awesome, but its just first gens, and I am not set on first or second yet to replace my 03.

If anyone could post a year to year that weny till like 08 or further that would be freeking awesome!
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/156943-1st-gen-tacoma-buyers-guide.html

I also read this, but it was writen before the 2005 Tacoma cam out.......
    http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/tacoma/history.html

OK my current question is I see some trucks that say TRD Sport and some that say TRD Offroad
    Other that the obvious in the name what is the big differance? Do they both have the locking rear differ.?

Oh yeah, and I have seen trucks that do NOT say TRD on them, but the dealer claims it has a Read Locking Differ. Is this just dealer bull crap, or?

2. Feb 16, 2012 at 12:46 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Only Off Road has rear locker. Sport has 17 inch wheels and a hood scoop with painted bumpers... Off Road has 16 inch wheels and chrome rear bumper. 2011 has a different grill than the 2005 - 2010.........2012 has the new redesigned front end.

After owning both vehicles, I would prefer the Off Road over the Sport. But I was scoop envy and got the Sport this time around.

3. Feb 16, 2012 at 3:30 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    BigBro,

Ask whoever is telling you that it has a "Locker" rear differential to show you where the switch on the dash is. If it does not have a dash switch, it does not have a locker. It may have a limited slip differential, but it is not a locker.

Products Discussed in

To Top