1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD S/C and TRD CAI Together

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by azimm1979, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Aug 18, 2009 at 5:10 PM
    azimm1979

azimm1979 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    Question: Does anyone have the TRD Supercharger and the TRD Cold Air Intake mounted together on their Tacoma? I just had the dealership install the S/C on my 09 DC 4x4, and I dont know if I want to add the TRD CAI. What do you think?

Another question: If you have both, are there any additional add-on's you need? I think i remember the technician saying that the CAI wouldnt do much good because it wouldnt push any more air into the S/C than the factory air intake does. Any comments on this?

I'm not really mechanically savvy, so any thoughts would be helpful, thanks!

2. Aug 18, 2009 at 5:26 PM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    The TRD CAI will really wake up the blower. Both in sound and performance. It is a highly recommended mod. :thumbsup:

A CAI doesn't "push" more air in. That technician probably didn't have a clue to what he was talking about.

3. Aug 22, 2009 at 1:56 AM
    P. Bauer

P. Bauer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    TRD S/C :: Intake Camburg SwayAway Magnaflow American Racing Donahoe Racing Wheelers OffRoad
    I have both the TRD S/C and the CAI. I installed the CAI prior to getting the S/C. I took my truck to the dealer for them to flash the ECU (I did the S/C install) and they told me the CAI may cause the truck to run lean. The FJ Cruiser had new code that allowed to run the CAI, but they didn't have it for the Tacoma yet. Odd, same engine, same transmission, different software.

Oh well, no issues to date with the exception of my cats giving a code, replaced under Emissions Warranty.

4. Aug 28, 2009 at 6:56 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    I don't think it is exactly the same engine, seems like I saw here the HP rating was different for the FJ than the Taco. I think the FJ is slightly detuned compared to a Taco 4.0

Products Discussed in

To Top