1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD sport or TRD or ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by short bus bully, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Jul 1, 2010 at 12:55 PM
    morphius

morphius Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Access Cab TRD Sport
    I take it you're talking access cab or double cab... as the standard cab doesn't have any TRD packages.

4wd TRD Sport & TRD Off Road packages include the SR5 package features (variable speed wipers, cruise control, color-keyed bumper, fender & mirrors, etc.) Both TRD packages have Bilstien heavy duty shocks, vehicle stability control, TRD sport seats & fabric, leather wrapped steering wheel, dimming rear view mirrors with backup camera, temp gauge and compass, 400W truck bed AC power plug, smoked headlamps, etc

TRD package differences:
    TRD Sport has 17" tires (more like all season), limited slip differential, hood scoop, color matched grill

TRD Off Road has 16" (more rugged off road tires), locking rear differential, hill start/down-hill assist control, skid plate, chrome grill

The Pre-Runner 2wd models mostly have the SR5 package and or choice of TRD Sport or TRD Off-Road.

I went for 4wd with TRD Sport & access cab. The 4wd was the optional element for me. With it, I don't have to wonder any more.

2. Jul 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    no worries bud, how ya suppose to know unless you ask right? The Sport and Off Road are the same as far as performance (engine, tranny etc...) The main differences are the OR has a full Locker and the Sport has LSD and the non functional scooped hood :)

3. Jul 1, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Off road has ATRAC and rear locker. Thats all you need to know to know if it si sthe model for you. ATRAC allows you to use computer controlled brakes to create a quasi locker front and rear or the real locker in rear and ATRAC up front.

4. Jul 1, 2010 at 2:13 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    Toyota just needs to come out with a Desert Runner like the Frontier did.

5. Jul 1, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,

lol I knew I should have gotten the sport!

OP, If you plan on staying on the pavement for the most part= sport.
    If you plan on ripping up the offroad scene= offroad :cool:

6. Jul 1, 2010 at 3:57 PM
    short bus bully

short bus bully [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    Clearlake TX
    just went for a test drive TRD OR all the way ill post pics when i get it
    does the locker work in 2wd and 4hi or only 4lo

7. Jul 1, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    trdtaco10

trdtaco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR 4X4
    UWS toolbox, window tint, Bilstein 5100s on all four corners, black 16" TRD FJ wheels, 14" Shorty Antenna, Weathertech all weather floor liners, Satoshi Grill Mod, Rear leaf TSB, OME 885x's, Desert Racing UCAs, Icon 3 leaf AAL
    4lo only.
    On a side note..wow to some of these statements made about the trd sport.

8. Jul 1, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Do you want the most able off highway machine OR something that looks racey because it has a fake hood scoop and color mathced part?

If you want a truck that can do the most, the TRD OFF ROAD 4WD, no question.

If you want to pay almost as much, but get less ability to go off road and the hood scoop is important (even though it blocks important visibility when four wheeling), the TRD SPORT.

The 'ability' difference is that the Off Road 4WDs have a hydraulic brake booster for the A-TRAC, and that also improves the limited slip action of TRAC in H4 and AUTO LSD in H2. A-TRAC is best described as AUTOMATIC LOCKERS for the front and rear in low range, the way that TRAC is like AUTO. LIMITED SLIP in High Range.

More details in the link below...

9. Jul 2, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    Firetech

Firetech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Off Road
    My 2010 A/C TRD OR is a long bed !

10. Jul 2, 2010 at 6:30 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    i see you are from clear lake. that's right around the corner from me. what dealership you buying from?

11. Jul 2, 2010 at 6:41 AM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    we should start an atrac vs non atrac fight

12. Jul 2, 2010 at 6:44 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I think that would be a new one.

Which side will you take?

13. Jul 2, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Yes, driver input is or could be more important than traction controls... I test drove a Sport in '05 and couldn't believe Toyota would put a fake hood scoop on it... but, I guess they are catering to a certain group who needs that look. It is a severe visibility hinderance however. It is just a no sweat system that works so you can go where you want, much easier.

The TRAC & A-TRAC will amaze you who have four wheeled before with open differentials, so don't knock it until you have tried it. A-TRAC is doing what the expensive aftermarket lockers do, but better! There is no steering problems when using A-TRAC... no need to turn it on and off repeatedly while trail riding, just to get around corners... and it will pull you out of a stuck if you drove into a mess with the TRAC turned off.

14. Jul 2, 2010 at 7:38 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    I cant see me ever buying a sport or a prerunner..............trd offroad forever.............thats my humble opinion for what its worth

15. Jul 2, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    outlawtacoma

outlawtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4RTRDOR
    i think a lot of them are sarcastic.

16. Jul 2, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    That's right...I stand corrected. I was thinking in terms of D/C because it's what I have. Double cab does not offer the OR with a long bed.

17. Jul 2, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    pfs

pfs Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD-off road pkg
    Ahh who knows? Debates can be initiate with any topic.
    Anyway. I have an 09 DD OR and absolutely love it. I have been places where 4 wheel drive is totally necessary. I've driven in the uncleared, snow covered country roads of Ontario, Canada in the middle of winter, unpaved rural mud roads in Mexico and the beaches of South Padre Island. Always able to navigate with ease. It's nice to know that your truck is capable of taking you to your destination and back. My previously owned trucks 4x4 Titan and Supercharged 4x4 Frontier were great trucks but didn't have locking diff, which makes a lot of difference and suspension was different. In my opinion the OR is a VERY CAPABLE off road truck.

18. Jul 2, 2010 at 5:06 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    supercharger :D :D :D no supercharger in TRD Sport. lol Get the Off Road if you do it. If not, no.

19. Jul 2, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    I'm pretty sure there is a mod to make the locker work in 2wd. My buddy did it, but then again its a 1st gen not 2nd.

20. Jul 3, 2010 at 5:30 AM
    short bus bully

short bus bully [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    Clearlake TX
    Don't know yet the truck I want is in there mass storage and not on a lot
    I was going to star Toyota but the guy is a retard I might try champion because I saw thay where a sponsor on the FJ forum

After looming at yalls trucks I don't know if I want to build a prerunner ( long travel fiber glass fenders) or a trail truck

Products Discussed in

To Top