1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Sport tim...I do not understand it

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Ob1-adobe, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:06 PM
    Ob1-adobe

Ob1-adobe [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCSB Magnetic Gray
    Out of all of the trim levels of the Toyota Tacoma, the TRD Sport is the one I cannot understand it's purpose. I'm not knocking it, I just do not get it. Sport owners please enlighten me.

SR- I get it. It's cheap. It's the worken man's truck. and I assume it's what is used as company trucks. It has a purpose

SR5- I get it. It's cheap-er. It's also the worken man's truck but also has 4X4, and can go places.

Limited- I get it. It's the luxury model with all of the creature comforts, and chrome if that is your thing.

TRD Off Road- I get. It's does what it says. This truck will go anywhere. Great suspension, decent towing. Have fun with. Enjoy it.

TRD Pro- I get it. It's the premium everything and does everything listed above.

TRD Sport- I don't get it. It has a fake hood scoop, and the suspension is slightly lower. But their are no performance upgrades of any kind. No Turbo, No 10 speed transmission, no extra horse power, no extra torque. Just why? Unless I'm wrong please tell me.

2. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:09 PM
    JesseTRDJames

JesseTRDJames Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Calgary AB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    SPC Upper Control Arms Front ARD OME 3" Medium Load Coilover Kit Rear ARB OME Heavy Duty Dakar Leaf Spring Wheelers 3/8" Coilover top plate spacer SSO Slimline Front bumber w/Smittybilt 10k winch Prinsu Roof rack Alucab Canopy w/ load bars Treeline RTT and Annex Decked Storage Unit
    My very limited understanding is its a bit more of a truck with the city life in mind but tooled TRD line... Someone who knows alot more about these trucks can likely say more. I also believe the TRD Sport has been around longer then the other TRDs...

Again first Tacoma, joined TW yesterday. So assume I am getting my post count up lol.

Jesse

3. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:11 PM
    VaToy

VaToy Life Long Member

Member:
    Parts Unknown
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD DCLB Sport 4x4 Silver Sky
    Bilsteins 5100s on the top setting, 4runner Gray TRD Pro Sema wheels, 285/70/17 Toyo AT3s, Sumo Bump stops, TRD exhaust, ECGS Clamshell bushing, 1/4 shim for the lean and one inch rear block, OEM Pro grill and garnish OEM TRD Skid plate, TRD CAI, Demon Brackets, Rigid Industries Pro fog lights, OEM Trail Rails sidebars, Diode Dynamics LED SL1 high and low beam lights, OEM Roof racks, Clazzio leather heated seats, Remote Start, TRD Pro shift knob, tinted windows, Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp for the headunit and sub and amp combo, OEM Puddle lights, OEM tailgate lock, OEM bed mat, LED interior lights, OEM blackout kit for letters, JLT catch can, upgraded 27F toyota True Start battery, Vleds led tail light kit with Pro tail lights, OEM Rave4 side mirrors with convex spotters,just to name a few mods.
    The Sport looks bad ass, everyone wants the scoop. So if you get a manual you don't get crawl control. For me it looks the best, rides the best but I was changing the shocks anyway.
    Same interior, just appearence, no locker or crawl control. I personally didn't care for the locker or crawl control, as I never needed it nor will I use it. I just don't go wheeling that hard. I don't want all that black plastic trim to keep up with. The OR is a nice Tacoma,hell they are all great but the black trim looks cheap.

4. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:12 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    More of an appearance and feature package.

Baerskin, jerzsubbie, 02Duck and 17 others like this.
  5. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:15 PM
    FastEddy59

FastEddy59 TTC #0061

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Smack, Dab in the middle of Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    '13 Barc. Red Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Rigid 23004 Radiance light bar Cheap 3K 18W LED Fogs General AT-2's Pioneer AVH4200NEX w/ iDatalink JL XD5003V2 Focal 165KRX2's JL 10TW3 Arcticstart 803
    Welcome :canada:

6. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:15 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    I don't believe that is true, I can remember the Off Road package in the 1990's, if anything they may have started at the same time.

Sailorsport and danmtchl like this.
  7. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:17 PM
    VaToy

VaToy Life Long Member

Member:
    Parts Unknown
    Vehicle:
    Bilsteins 5100s on the top setting, 4runner Gray TRD Pro Sema wheels, 285/70/17 Toyo AT3s, Sumo Bump stops, TRD exhaust, ECGS Clamshell bushing, 1/4 shim for the lean and one inch rear block, OEM Pro grill and garnish OEM TRD Skid plate, TRD CAI, Demon Brackets, Rigid Industries Pro fog lights, OEM Trail Rails sidebars, Diode Dynamics LED SL1 high and low beam lights, OEM Roof racks, Clazzio leather heated seats, Remote Start, TRD Pro shift knob, tinted windows, Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp for the headunit and sub and amp combo, OEM Puddle lights, OEM tailgate lock, OEM bed mat, LED interior lights, OEM blackout kit for letters, JLT catch can, upgraded 27F toyota True Start battery, Vleds led tail light kit with Pro tail lights, OEM Rave4 side mirrors with convex spotters,just to name a few mods.
    Limited is supposed to me more luxurious but to me my aftermarket heated leather seats are more comfortable than the limited and the Pro, imo. No scoop on the limited,not a long bed. No long bed on the Pro either. I would take a Pro all day long if I could get it in a longbed. It's all what you want, it's not really that hard to see the differences if you do a litte research.

8. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:17 PM
    Crimson Flam3s

Crimson Flam3s Well-Known Member

Member:
    As a big fan of the TRD sport and hood scoop I sadly have to agree, it's more of a visual package.

The smart decision is probably to get an OR with the additional functionality and put a scoop hood for $1000 or less, or get an sr5 and add a scoop to it, but it's also more tedious.

Wixo, Junkhead and danmtchl like this.
  9. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:18 PM
    VaToy

VaToy Life Long Member

Member:
    Parts Unknown
    Vehicle:
    There is no cc on the OR.

danmtchl likes this.
  10. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:19 PM
    ICU1

ICU1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I bought a Sport, and I still get my eight every night.
    Not sure who tim is. I assume OP is trying to spell trim.

11. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:20 PM
    bigmw

bigmw Not-So-Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeastern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blue DCSB Sport 4x4, manual transmission
    Bunch of different mods
    6 speed manual is what sold it

12. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:20 PM
    Itchyfeet

Itchyfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Six chicken breast a day weights chad or cross fitter stacey truck

13. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:20 PM
    SnowSpartan

SnowSpartan IT, not the clown.

Member:
    Boise, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2017 Gray DCSB TRD Sport
    I have a sport. Take it everywhere my friends with off-roads go.

I went with the sport because I landed a better deal as opposed to the off road. Everyone here in Idaho has off roads. Very few sports.

I do enjoy the scoop look over the non scooped look.

Suspension is just fine. I’m plan on switching it out once I torch it.

Plenty of offroad trims that never see off road. Buy the sport and switch the sticker and fenders lol.

all preference, though. Next Tacoma I get will be an off road trim, since I’ve never owned one. I will miss the sunglasses holder 100000%.

C36F1959-E0DD-4092-B52B-BA123E1E479E.jpg

14. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:23 PM
    VaToy

VaToy Life Long Member

Member:
    Parts Unknown
    Vehicle:
    That would be cheaper to just paint or add the black trim. Just do plastic shit dip them. Yes can you tell I hate that crap.

SnowSpartan likes this.
  15. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:25 PM
    SnowSpartan

SnowSpartan IT, not the clown.

Member:
    Boise, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2017 Gray DCSB TRD Sport
    lol plastic shit dip. My side badges are plastic shit dipped :eek:

suaveflooder and Ononamiss like this.
  16. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:26 PM
    boynoyce

boynoyce .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16SR5AC4X4V6QS
    Yeah, let's hear it for the work(en)ing man...

https://youtu.be/dZFAKOwuWtA

stun gun, P-Dawg, Baerskin and 10 others like this.
  17. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:27 PM
    Switchback

Switchback Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 Mag Grey SR 4wd SX
    For me it was 100% being able to get into a manual with the Access Cab.

But... after a few months of ownership I have grown fond of the fake scoop. I was totally indifferent to it at first, but I do think it looks good.

18. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:28 PM
    Ob1-adobe

Ob1-adobe [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCSB Magnetic Gray
    type-o yes. That's what I get goofing on Tacoma world instead of working.

danmtchl likes this.
  19. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:30 PM
    coopcooper

coopcooper certified youtube mechanic

Member:
    alberta canada
    Vehicle:
    black on black on black 05 trd off road
    stickers and sticker accessory's
    The scoop baby! Its all about the scoop.

20. Sep 4, 2019 at 3:32 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    correct, the TRD package on Tacomas started in the late 90's (1998 I think) and was only known as the 'TRD Offroad'...the TRD Sport wasn't introduced until the 2nd gens came about in 2005. Basically there were no TRD Sport 1st gens, just TRDs Offroads.

Products Discussed in

To Top