1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trifecta Install Issues.. Need Help!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AFButters, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Jun 30, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.

What exactly is the problem? the clamps/brackets will never be straight up and down. They will be at an angle. If it's not tight, have you tightened the clamps enough? It pretty much mounts like the solid fold I had does....

2. Jun 30, 2009 at 4:33 PM
    AFButters

AFButters [OP] Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    I have it all on and tightened down it seems like it is installed properly, but I got people saying it looks like shit so it makes me assume i did something wrong and i dont want to have to cover break or fly off the truck or leak if it ever rains in NC again

3. Jun 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    AFButters

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW

Well they look about the same.. from lookin at mine from the inside the only place I can see light coming in, is in the front corners where i need to trim the re-attached seal just a little as it is caught up on the plast of the bed rail guards

4. Jun 30, 2009 at 4:39 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    OR... you could read the instructions and start over :thumbsup:

5. Jun 30, 2009 at 4:52 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    09, mine looks like Capita's too. It never will lay flat or taut like the Access rollups which have adjustments to tighten the cover. I can't remember, but possibly my trifecta looked that way first out of the box. Now its broken in, no issues in over two years use & very easy to take off and on completely (other than the brackets) whenever you want.

6. Jun 30, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    It looks sort of frumpyphloppinskewedoff. Del's right. Take it off and admit you didn't read the instructions the first time. No guy does, nothing to be 'shamed of.

7. Jun 30, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Yeah they do look pretty spot on. If the clamps are tight it won't come off at all. I have a bit of light coming from the front corners as well. I'm not too worried about it. A bit of water gets in but nothing serious, only a few drops. I'm sure it can be sealed up if you want, I'm not going to bother.

The buldges were starting to go away on mine. Like xedge said I think its were its new and been in the box. I had it left on the truck not folded for a week and the buldges were going. But yesterday I folded up the cover and the buldges re-appeared. It doesn't bother me though. I love the cover so far

8. Jun 30, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    AFButters

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    i did read the instructions.. bc I got this thing last week and tried to install it straight outa the box and didnt even know i needed teh brackets..

9. Jun 30, 2009 at 4:58 PM
    AFButters

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    I really think the buldges look bad from it being folded up on the truck out in the sun for a few hours when i went to eat then came home figure out how to get the clips to attach .. put the cover on took the pics and went to work... so now im sittin at work wanting to walk up to the truck and just try and figure it out.. but got shit to do here..

10. Jul 1, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    Goblin

Goblin TSB 0305-08 Rev2 & TSB 0373-09 DONE

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    STOCK TRD 4X4 OR DC
    I'm not sure what the issue is here? The angle of the latch mechanism or the look of the tonneau? Either way.. The angle is of no difference and you can have it vertical if you want to adjust it that way. Just slide it back towards the middle a little bit. I have this same tonneau and love it. The versatility it gives me is incredible. I can take it on and off the truck in 1-2 minutes. No issues at all. Mine sets flush, etc. The ripple looking area where it folds is normal. Unless yours was damaged in shipping I don't see any real issue here.

Call extang if you have a ??? They have awesome customer service and even insisted on giving me a new one for a minor flaw I inquired about. I still have the new one boxed up in storage as there was nothing really wrong with the other.

Here's a pic of mine:
    [​IMG]

11. Jul 19, 2009 at 6:02 PM
    auart

auart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ART
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Off road 2wd
    TRD OFF ROAD, Tow Package, Scanguage2, Secure Tailgate Mod, OEM Tacoma Bed Mat, Stainless Side Step Bars, Extang Trifecta Cover.
    I just bought a used one (Trifecta) and no instructions at all. I have a bag with the Silver Bracket things in pieces. Got a good deal but have no idea how to install this. Anyone have the instructions they could scan and email me?

Thanks

12. Jul 19, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    Goblin

Goblin TSB 0305-08 Rev2 & TSB 0373-09 DONE

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    STOCK TRD 4X4 OR DC
  13. Jul 19, 2009 at 7:51 PM
    auart

auart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ART
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD, Tow Package, Scanguage2, Secure Tailgate Mod, OEM Tacoma Bed Mat, Stainless Side Step Bars, Extang Trifecta Cover.
    Yea I watched that twice already... Doesn't tell me what these Silver brackets hook to. The Pics in this thread show more, but I gotta figure how to assemble these brackets.

14. Jul 20, 2009 at 3:29 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    The silver brackets go into your bed rail system. The cover then clamps onto the silver brackets. Just lay out the cover and figure out where the silver brackets should be installed to meet up with the clamps on the cover. I'll take pictures of how the silver brackets should look into the bed rail system if you want.

15. Jul 20, 2009 at 5:40 AM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    You need to remove the black sleeve that is covering the threads. That was just to protect the threads in packaging and shipping. Then you should be able to tighten up the front clamps.

16. Jul 20, 2009 at 5:47 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    You guys and your Extangs.... I kept telling you how good the one I have is.... Now I realize just how much better it is. You just ignore me because 'Extang is the shit'. LoL That thing takes about 4 times as much time and effort to install as mine. I'm going out to take pictures soon, and show you what you're missing out on! :)

17. Jul 20, 2009 at 6:05 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I found the cover a very easy install briangp. I'm pleased with it :)

18. Jul 20, 2009 at 6:09 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Over at TN there was some threads that helped me install mine for the first time. There really wasn't anything like that over here until now.

1. Pop the end caps of the slide rails,
    2. Slide two clamps per side into the rails & at the spot where the latches hang off the tonneau cross bars. About a foot up from the tailgate & foot back from the cab, leave these clamps loose until you put the tonneau on so you can make minor adjustments. You can tighten them later.
    3. With the cover folded up, place on bed rails closest to the cab & secure latch to front clamps, make adjustments as necessary & now tighten clamps in side rail.
    4. Open cover and do the same thing as #3 to the back two clamps.
    5. Close tailgate. Drink beverage of choice. :D

The tip I got from TN was to add a couple of nuts per side to the front latches for it saves some tighten when securing to the clamp.

This cover only took me with the help of these threads 15 min tops to install. Taking it completely off on on the truck now is about a minute.

19. Jul 20, 2009 at 6:30 AM
    tammikm

tammikm Well-Known Member

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 SR5 AUTO
    n/a
    whats wrong with that? thats how its supposed to be. its a trifold its going to have creases where it folds, only thing I would suggest is moving the cover a little closer to the cab to its not over hanging as much by the tail gate. this is how mine is as well.

20. Jul 20, 2009 at 12:10 PM
    auart

auart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ART
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Here are pics of mine. I bought this used and no install instructions at all, other than the help of this Thread... What do you guys think? It looks about like the others. I was missing only one of the Washers to use on the Brackets. I will add that.
    I do have another question though... Is there a way to tighten down the back a little more? Maybe tightening up the bolt inside the handle of the spring loaded back holder thing?
    Also... Simon's Mom.... Can you upload a picture of those "Extra Nuts" that you referred to in your post. (PLEASE guys, don't run with that and clutter this thread any worse than I have already!)

Thanks for the help! Looks like there will always be a slight amount of LIGHT in the front corners unless you add a little stripping of your own???

Yes the Truck is extremely dirty...
    [​IMG]
    Tailgate opening
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top