1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trolling TW

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by Off Topic Guy, Feb 22, 2022.

1. Feb 22, 2022 at 6:43 AM
    Off Topic Guy

Off Topic Guy [OP] 2023 Trophy Points - Runner Up

Member:
    Good morning TW! As the title implies, I need help trolling! I'm looking to learn more about this new age of trolling motors (this thread is in the fishing section if you haven't figured out by now) and what separates an $800 motor from a $4k motor. Of course I'd love the MK Ultrex, Lowrance Ghost, or a Garmin Force, but its just not something I can justify given the little bit that I fish each year. So I'm wondering what the reccomendations are for "entry level" spot lock capable motors. My only needs truly are 24V, 80+ lb thrust, and 50-56" shaft. I had convinced myself I'd just go with something without all the tech, but even those are around $1k, so at that point, something like the Terrova starts coming into the picture. But then I wonder about the built in universal sonars and adapters, and losing a fairly decent Garmin transducer for the convenience of spot lock. Lets talk trolling motors!

For context, freshwater/bass fishing/tracker TV-18/Garmin graphs.

2. Feb 25, 2022 at 6:49 AM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    Get whatever brand will interface with your graph in case you want to do that later. Spot lock and a handheld controller should be a must. Lower thrust and 12v will make it cheaper and work fine as well. I have a 55lb 12v on my boat (16.5', ~2000lb, deep vee) and it will pull the boat along at 2.5mph when maxed out and troll at a constant 1.3ish mph for about 5-6 hours on a single, cheap lead acid battery.

Off Topic Guy[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 25, 2022 at 6:57 AM
    Off Topic Guy

Member:
    Thanks for the reply. Finding something that interfaces with Garmin sounds like the issue I'm trying to figure out. I can't seem to find anything other than the Garmin force that interfaces with Garmin graphs and retains all the cool stuff. It seems like anything with built in universal just gives you 2D, and you lose down scan ability, unless you somehow make your Garmin transducer work, but that seems extremely tricky with a spot lock type motor that just free spins.

4. Feb 25, 2022 at 8:35 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    I meant more for extra features not the built in sonar. Built in sonar would only be a benefit if you had a second graph at the bow and fish from the bow while trolling which I do not do. Mine lets me control my trolling motor from the graph, setting routes, waypoints, trolling patterns, speed, etc from the touchscreen which gives a lot more flexibility than just a foot pedal or hand controller.

Off Topic Guy[OP] likes this.
  5. Feb 26, 2022 at 3:46 PM
    Off Topic Guy

Member:
    Gotcha, I primarily fish from the bow while slow trolling using a foot pedal. I'm still fairly new to bass fishing, and the only reason I think I'd ever use spot lock would be if I came across a school of crappie. It sounds like an extremely cool feature for a rare occasion, but I feel like there are so many issues that come along with it when it comes to not being able to use a transducer for the graph you have, the added price, the added risk of problems with more tech. I don't know if I'm ready to make the jump yet. I may just cruise around and wait for a deal on something like a MK Fortrex 80lb 24v or something else equivalent thats just a simple design and can hold my Garmin transducer.

6. Feb 26, 2022 at 3:50 PM
    Yota X

Yota X Some say dresser, I say dryer.

Member:
    NW New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    1st gen
    ls turbo, tons, 40's and a partidge in a pear tree
    Go to a bass pro shops. See cool fish (I suggest the snook and reds tank), cool fishing stuff and lots of motors that troll by hand, foot and phone.

7. Feb 26, 2022 at 4:02 PM
    Off Topic Guy

Member:
    Well now I know where to find a trolling motor, but I think I'll be looking on the used market. I see alot of barely used motors being taken off of new boat purchases when guys buy a new bass boat and want the shop to install a brand new fancier one before they pick it up. Those are normally half the price of a brand new one.

8. Feb 26, 2022 at 4:04 PM
    Yota X

Yota X Some say dresser, I say dryer.

Member:
    NW New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    1st gen
    ls turbo, tons, 40's and a partidge in a pear tree
    I don't really use FB but my friend is a hardcore bass guy and he gets a new trolling motor off there every year for way less than half the new cost.

Products Discussed in

To Top