1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trouble spots on Tacomas

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by summerboy1958, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Nov 22, 2009 at 12:06 PM
    summerboy1958

summerboy1958 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Newark, De
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4WD, Radiant Red
    Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch, Timbren Shock Assist System, Billy 5100's all around, Deck plate mod, AFE Pro Dry air filter, Amsoil 85W-90 Severe Gear Oil in the transmission/differentials/transfer case.
    Thanks to all who provided input on the 1st thread about Rangers vs Tacomas. With your input and after thinking back to my old '85 Yota 1 Ton ( a bullet - proof buck board), I've decided to look for a Tacoma. I'm looking for a '01 or '02 Xtracab, 4x4 (i'd still like a PreRunner (better gas milage, less moving parts to repair), but really want a 5 speed), V6, 5 speed, 100k or less.

When I buy used, I usually get my mechanic and my transmission guy to take a look at them for me, make the sale conditional on their report. While they are both good, I'd like to make sure they don't miss anything. I'm looking for input on potential trouble spots in a 1st gen Tacoma so that I can prep them.

Once I buy, I'll let you know what I got. Then I'll be asking about syn lube/oils, gas milage improvements and fun mods.

Thanks again for your help. The folks on this forum provided a lot more insightful comments than I got on the Ranger site. Is that cuz you're smarter?

2. Nov 22, 2009 at 12:16 PM
    BG04

BG04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 2.7 SR5 4X4
    Rust recall on the frame. Check behind the rear wheels on frame to look for rust. No worries just something to watch for I think toyota gave a 15 year warranty on the frames. Correct me if Im wrong.

3. Nov 22, 2009 at 12:35 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    its not really a "recall" so to speak...but many of the frames up to 04 rotted from the inside out (as in most of the time cant be seen from outside)

this really only applies to states with heavy road salt use

the dash will more than likely rattle...many of them do...theres nothing wrong but it happens

there was a lower ball joint recall at one point for the 01-04s i believe...

at 90K the water pump and timing belt should be changed

other than that...a stock tacoma shouldnt have many trouble spots that your mechanic would miss

4. Nov 22, 2009 at 12:49 PM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    What these guys said^^

But if you live where there's snow, or you want to eventually off road, I would highly suggest 4x4 (I also just really don't like prerunners, but that's just my opinion and may not be yours).

5. Nov 22, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Yep, water pump, frame, and rear leaf springs on mine. If you do need the frame replaced its actually pretty good, at least my experience was. Replaced frame and also get brand new rear springs and new front lower control arms, brake lines, parking brake cable, and I think they replaced the diff oil also.

6. Nov 22, 2009 at 3:33 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (234k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    The dash of my '02 rattles. I didn't know it was a common problem - does anyone know a fix for it? If I push down on the front/center it'll stop rattling, so I figure something's just loose.

I bought mine new and now have about 136,500 miles on it. My troubles have included the following:

• Rattle in dash
    • Had a premature spark plug issue (not really the truck's problem)
    • Lower ball joint recall
    • Air/fuel sensor just after manifold went bad
    • Water pump started leaking @ 103k (should have had timing belt & water pump replaced before then)
    It's been a great truck, and I'm ashamed to admit this, but until recently it was pretty neglected other than oil changes. That sure didn't stop it though.

7. Nov 22, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    theres lot of "fixes" out there for the dash rattle...but i dont know which ones work for good and which ones are temporary

i shoved a folded up piece of paper in between the dash and windshield and it seems to have worked

Products Discussed in

To Top