1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trouble starting!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 1998tacoma4x4, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Jun 10, 2010 at 3:06 PM
    1998tacoma4x4

1998tacoma4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma 4x4 3.4L Auto
    Deaver j59 pack 2.5 SAW coilovers, rear bilstein 5100's. Extened stainless rear brake line, deck plate mod, drop in K&N filter, Kenwood headunit & pioneer speakers, SnugTop Shell.
    So i went to start my truck after i got off work today, and when i turned the key it would try to turn over but just wouldnt. I tried a few tiems and when i tried to start it while giving it gas at the same it, it fired right up. This has been happeneing every now and then for the last few months. Also i was running low on gas when this was happening but filled up on the way home. I also have the 3.4L. Any suggestions?

2. Jun 10, 2010 at 4:18 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Just a complete guess, but it may be enough to help you track things down some.

You could always try changing the fuel filter. As I recall, our trucks dont actually start the fuel pump until the key is in the on position. If the filter is starting to get clogged, it could end up taking a little longer for the fuel to get to the engine.

If it actually is requiring you to press the gas pedal to get it to start, it could related to the throttle body (maybe sticking closed, starving the engine) and you might want to clean that.

And as always, its never a bad idea to check routine things as well, like the plugs, air filter, etc.

Maybe even an injector or actual fuel pump problem, but I'd think you'd experience idle or running problems as well so I think I'd stick to easy maintenance things first.

Products Discussed in

To Top