1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trouble with Sony xav-ax6000 Trail Grid Pro plug and play kit

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by G_Shock52, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Apr 27, 2023 at 2:07 PM
    G_Shock52

G_Shock52 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off Road
    My Tacoma is a 2016 TRD off road with the technology package (parking assist, blind spot sensors, entune 2.0 with nav, etc).

I recently decided to upgrade my head unit to one that supports android auto. I settled on the Sony ax-6000 plug and play kit from trail Grid Pro as they pre-wire their harnesses and flash the maestro system so all you have to do is plug in your harnesses and you're good to go. They say you don't lose any functionality with the exception of the in dash digital compass and the turn by turn direction in your dash (because that's driven by the Toyota head unit).

I purchased and installed the unit and loved it at first, BUT as I've used it a couple days i have lost the dynamic grid lines for the reverse camera, and also my steering wheel call control buttons (audio/music steering wheel buttons still work).

Has anyone else tried one of these kits with the same result, or am I just an unlucky customer? It may be that the maestro unit doesn't jive with the tech package on my truck, but I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else in my research.

If there's a solution to getting those back I'd love to hear how to do so. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
  2. May 15, 2023 at 12:07 PM
    yerblues

yerblues Active Member

Member:
    Parks, AZ
    im getting ready to do this exact package. ive done a lot of research on this, and from what i can glean, it seems that you can turn those on and off by settings. maybe you turned it off by accident?

dont know if this helps. id like to know what happened too.

https://youtu.be/LtIG7TKJNBo?t=1524

3. May 15, 2023 at 4:26 PM
    G_Shock52

G_Shock52 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I'd say to get the unit, I'm overall very pleased with it after having it for a few weeks.

I did get my answer and hangup call buttons working. The only thing that I lost was the dynamic grid line overlays in the reverse cam. The static ones are still there.

There is indeed a setting in the maestro app settings menu on the Sony unit itself for the Sony unit's dynamic grid lines, but it seems that I have to manually toggle that each time I turn the truck on for it to work. It won't stay on even if the menu says it's on, I'm thinking that's a possible bug in the firmware.

A couple tips I found that may help:

1. When I installed the mic with their mic bracket in the overhead compartment I didn't trim the knob off of the mic like they suggested in their install video (in case I ever need to switch or resell the unit). I used that knob to wedge it in place bc there are slits on the side of the mic that need to be facing the open parts of the bracket. Without something like the knob creating a wedge/friction or tape to stick it in place the mic can actually spin in the bracket cradle and cover these up, resulting in poorer mic performance.

2. I ended up reflashing my Maestro RR unit to reverse the next track/seek buttons on the steering wheel from the default programming. This is because the radio stations are selectable on the Sony unit using a vertical layout. The default setting has the up arrow moving down the list, and vice versa. Also on Spotify in Android Auto the queue is vertical and behaves the same way as the radio selection. Reversing the programming corrects the interface so if you click down on the steering wheel control then it moves down on the head unit and up will be up.

3. I have my unit set up to display my tpms readings. If your sensors don't show up with the proper tire placement, like mine did, there is a menu setting in the Sony unit to calibrate the placement that involves deflating a tire a few pounds. The unit will then beep and you will then move on to the next tire until all tires are complete.

After doing that and not caring about the dynamic grid lines it runs perfectly.

Good luck!

yerblues[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Aug 18, 2023 at 3:34 PM
    Jrgh

Jrgh New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jospeph
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 4x4 pro
    OTC
    Hello.. I’m getting ready to pull the plug on one next month. I have a couple questions if you don’t mind. 1. How do you reflash the Maestro? 2. The videos show that it will show vehicle information such as speed etc. What all will it actualy monitor. I usually use OBD fusion on my iPhone.. will it show any other sensors on that Sony.

5. Aug 22, 2023 at 5:03 PM
    fake4x4

fake4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, California
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCSB
    Cool stuff
    I have this headunit …. Reverse camera resolution is trash …. Not sure why but I guess that’s just how it is

6. Aug 23, 2023 at 7:27 AM
    BigJanko

BigJanko Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Pro Matte Sunflower Wrap
    Body Armor Hybrid Front Bumper w/high clearance wings Body Armor Rear Bumper Armordillo Chase Rack Diode Dynamics SS5 Flood Lights Caliraised LED Ditch Lights Rough Country 20" Light Bar Rough Country 2" LED Pods Rough Country 6" LED Bars Glowe Industries Under Glow Kit Barricade 9,500 lb Winch S&B Cold Air Intake OTT Tune N-Fab Sliders PWF Matte Sunflower Vinyl Wrap
    I have this exact package sitting in my garage, waiting to go in with the rest of my stereo. I'll let you know if I have the same issues.

Products Discussed in

To Top