1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck dies and won't start unless you let cool for a while

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Mordecaijosh, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Jun 2, 2014 at 4:04 PM
    Mordecaijosh

Mordecaijosh [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 4x2 Tacoma
    Hey everyone,

I posted about this a few months ago and the problem went away for awhile but it has come back.

So I have a 2008 2.7L 4cyl tacoma and in the last week I've been having problems with it dying on me. So for example: I was on my way home from work last week and I had been on the freeway for about 10-15 minutes when the truck died on me. I couldn't get the truck started up but it would turn over and all the idiot lights were working and CEl was not on. It sounded like to me that the engine wasn't getting any fuel. It wouldn't start up even with a jump so I had to have it towed to my place so after about 2-3 hours of the truck being off and keys out of the ignition I finally got the truck home and when it was home it started right back up but died 10-15 minutes later after driving around again. I left it again to cool down and it started up again and died again after driving it. This happens every time I drive the truck. My thoughts are that the fuel pump needs to be replaced. I've been told that the fuel filters don't need ever need to be replaced in these second generation Tacomas.

What are your thoughts?

Love the forum, thanks everyone.

2. Jun 3, 2014 at 9:05 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Unless you have magic fuel that never has a contaminate, I have a hard time believing a filter will never need replaced. And if the fuel is that clean, no need for a filter.

Depending on how the truck dies, it almost sounds like a marginal electrical connection in the engine compartment. The fuel pump is in the tank so it should be pretty much immune to heat and pumps tend to either be good or not be good, not be good for a little while each day.

Since it cranks but doesn't fire I'd look in the ignition system and injector wiring. Best guess.

I had a dakota years ago that would do the same thing, I replaced the pump probably a dozen times. And it always died with a full tank of gas, so benching the tank over and over again was fun. Knowing more now than I did then, I was probably an idiot :laugh:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top