1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck in shop indefinitely

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by iceworks24, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Jul 13, 2016 at 5:56 PM
    iceworks24

iceworks24 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16' MG Taco TRD OR
    Hello, I am pretty new to TW, as I just picked up my truck the first week of May. (DCSB OR tow package Mexico build)
    From my initial test drive I mentioned that the brakes shake, and was told that the truck needs to break in. So I took the truck thinking that it just needed to break in. Well, once I got to 1000 miles I called the service manager asking if I had to wait for the 5k check up, because I knew something wasn't right. Not just with the brakes shaking, but with almost every issue I have read here on TW. I only found TW because I was googling the issues with my truck and it kept referring this site.
    So took my truck in at 1k. They had the truck all day, and upon picking it up, the service manager said that they opened a case with corporate because they could not fix the shaking, or any of the issues for the matter. I was then told that I would have to wait until corporate let them know what to do next.
    I have the truck for another two weeks with no call or anything from anyone, so I called corporate and opened a case on my end. Two weeks after that phone call I get a call back from a corporate mgr telling me to take the truck back to the dealership because they are arbitrating the fix.
    I took the truck in last Tuesday, and a week later (today) I get a call from the service mgr stating that they have done nothing to the truck but attempt to diagnose the vehicle, and that a corporate mechanic is scheduled to look at the truck in the next few days.
    I've thought about getting an attorney, but I am thinking I should wait to see what Toyota does or says. Then I also think that I don't want a 40k truck that already has major issues. Issues that Toyota mechanics don't know how to fix or diagnose, and apparently need highly trained corporate mechanics to deal with the issues.
    I'll be making my second payment along with the insurance in a couple weeks, and man does this leave me tongue and cheek.

2. Jul 13, 2016 at 5:59 PM
    CusterFan

CusterFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Silver Sky 2019 Tacoma SR, AC, 4X2, 2.7
  3. Jul 13, 2016 at 5:59 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
  4. Jul 13, 2016 at 6:00 PM
    smitty99

smitty99 I also bought a 4Runner

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDORDCSB 4x4 A/T (loaded w/ JBL)
    6112s/5160s & 3-leaf AAL;ubolt flip kit;Superbumps
    Keep taking it in keep getting the service records documented. Keep track of the cumulative days it's spent in the shop. Once you get close to.meeting oregon lemon law I'd get a free consultation with a lemon law attorney for your state. That is if you want to dump it.

5. Jul 13, 2016 at 7:27 PM
    Ehunter

Ehunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SB Off Road
    Where are you located we have had brake issues as well We have lost our truck for 25 days as well. It appears the factory had set the emergency brake too tight and it was grabbing the hub....so we are waiting to see what happens now good luck

smitty99 likes this.
  6. Jul 13, 2016 at 7:29 PM
    Username:

Username: I wear adult diapers at music festivals.

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    Pacific USA & Canada
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDS 6M w/ TRD Humidor
    "She's into malakas, Dino."
    crap.

Mush Mouse and CusterFan like this.
  7. Jul 13, 2016 at 7:43 PM
    iceworks24

iceworks24 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16' MG Taco TRD OR
    I have been sure to document and note all interaction with Toyota. So far they have acknowledged the problems and are trying to fix them to my knowledge, but seem to be having a hard time diagnosing the problem/ problems.

Oregon is where I'm from.

trazerr and smitty99 like this.
  8. Jul 13, 2016 at 8:08 PM
    iceworks24

iceworks24 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16' MG Taco TRD OR
    If they can fix the truck and warranty it I will be ecstatic. Minus the mechanical issues, I love my truck. There is nothing else like it on the road in class. It's a sexy truck. Thank you for the advice.

DeadEyeWI likes this.
  9. Jul 13, 2016 at 10:10 PM
    TacoFister

TacoFister Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2016 QS TRD 4x4 Off Road
    If that dealership still can't figure anything out or drag their feet, go to another dealership. I had a problem with my High pressure fuel pump. First dealer didn't see anything wrong. Took it to another dealership, part ordered and fixed.

Joe23 and iceworks24[OP] like this.
  10. Jul 13, 2016 at 10:28 PM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    I feel like TW is turning into just clickbate posts lol

Joe23, EDDO and Mush Mouse like this.
  11. Jul 13, 2016 at 10:33 PM
    smitty99

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    This is a legitimate post by the OP. He first messaged me asking me for advice. I told him he would probably get some backlash but should seek the forum's advice by posting a thread about his situation.

12. Jul 13, 2016 at 11:09 PM
    HalfWayThere

HalfWayThere Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    My 1st gen had "brake shaking" when it was new. It was odd because it didn't feel like the front brakes. I was able to determine that the problem changed when I engaged the parking brake lightly while going down the road. I then drove on the freeway and took a long rural off-ramp and used engine braking to slow down until the last few feet where I used the brakes. I hoped out and 3 of the 4 brakes were cold and one rear drum was sizzle-spit-hot. I took it to the dealer and the tech came back and said he adjusted the rear brakes "They were too loose so I tightened them up." I said that was the opposite of what I needed done and eventually he backed them off.

The problem went away and those brakes made it past 90k when I sold it. I'm not sure how long it would have taken the dealer to figure it out without my troubleshooting.

OP, I'm sharing this story as an example that sometimes it's something pretty simple that has no long term effect. I'm not saying that's your case, but I hope it works out that way and they get you fixed up and out enjoying your truck. I think you are justified in being upset, so don't take this as me belittling your situation.

iceworks24[OP] likes this.
  13. Jul 14, 2016 at 5:06 AM
    DeadEyeWI

DeadEyeWI Fight for your 2A right

Member:
    WI
    This isnt good....smh

I picked up my Taco 2 weeks ago. Been sitting in the garage since then. Still has only 50miles on it.
    I plan on taking it out this weekend and just cant wait to see what issues I may or may not run into.
    Knowing all of the possible issues from reading TW prior to purchase, I still went ahead and bought it.

Hoping for the best but prepared for the worst.

:fingerscrossed:

14. Jul 14, 2016 at 5:56 AM
    99superduty

99superduty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB OR 4x4 OME LIFT W/886 and DAKARS 265/75/16 Duratracs C4 lo pro bumper
    Its pretty obvious that when new to tacoma owners google their problems, it points to this site. I don't understand why people on this board get defensive about posts like this. This goes beyond the "truck should have had a diesel" or "why no disc brakes in the rear" posts, its highlighting real problems.

I think it helps us collectively as its highlighting issues with the truck, problems that need to be addressed by Toyota.

The more this momentum builds, Toyota will not be able to ignore it anymore

Edited to add.....I've got about 7k miles on my '16 and the tranny was low on fluid. Still got the surging but I'm patiently waiting on fixes to start coming out....

15. Jul 14, 2016 at 6:08 AM
    99superduty

99superduty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB OR 4x4 OME LIFT W/886 and DAKARS 265/75/16 Duratracs C4 lo pro bumper

It's probably wishful thinking but on the F350 boards, Ford has a customer service presence to address and help with issues. Trust me, there are issues with those trucks too......

Toyota is really missing the boat by not being visible here (or anywhere for that matter) Tacoma owners are some of the most brand loyal that I've seen and they should be embracing that.

16. Jul 14, 2016 at 6:08 AM
    Azbadboyz

Azbadboyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2/2016 Tacoma's one bright white 2nd inferno
    Hope you get it taken care of I have 2 tacomas with no problems except the wind Noise on the trd off road that know how to fix but waiting on toyota to put out a legit fix. I had all issues addressed with the help of this forum and been very happy with my tacomas. The trd has 8000 miles on it and the SR has 17000 miles on it.

jeff_taco_4x4 likes this.
  17. Jul 14, 2016 at 6:11 AM
    vmantrdorlb

vmantrdorlb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD SPORT LB
    TRD Wheel + General AT2 265/70/17
    im in the same boat, still waiting on a call its been almost 3 weeks. will be calling the service manager later for status, if nothing from him. i will be calling corporate, this is ridiculous.

my issue is the cab/bed alignment issue, could be related to the frame who knows. dealer said its probably cab after their master tech looked it over and had to open a case with toyota GST.

18. Jul 14, 2016 at 7:17 AM
    jeff_taco_4x4

jeff_taco_4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    16' 4x4 Sport DCSB w JBL, MGM
    guess I'm really blessed with a wonderful dealership...I really need to let them know. They've addressed and taken care of everything I've asked for.

19. Jul 14, 2016 at 7:21 AM
    smitty99

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    Based on the inconsistency of treatment and resolution of issues all I can think is that some dealers are working with a different set of corporate POCs who are more quick and willing to authorize warranty work. Or the requesting employee at dealership is more convincing and better at selling the case to corporate

20. Jul 14, 2016 at 8:20 AM
    iceworks24

iceworks24 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16' MG Taco TRD OR
    I have a pretty good relationship with my Service Manager also, maybe that's why Toyota has acknowledged all the problems with the truck without having to convince them, or get the run around. They know the problems exists.

smitty99 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top