1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck is pulling to the left, ideas?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by jeepinoutwest, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Oct 27, 2008 at 8:46 AM
    jeepinoutwest

jeepinoutwest [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ok I have an '08 2WD reg cab with 30" tires on the stock steel wheel. I am having a problem getting it aligned. Its been on the alignment machine 4 times at my tire dealer and it is still pulling to the left. Has anyone else run into this problem? Any corrective solutions? My tire guy is trying to figure this out as well and is calling Toyota and the maker of the alignment machine.

2. Oct 27, 2008 at 8:49 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I take it your truck is stock? No lift, rims or tires?

3. Oct 27, 2008 at 9:16 AM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    Is the truck used?... I had a similar problem in the past... tires guys could not figure it out.... outcome was a bent frame pulled like a S.O.B. to the right!

4. Oct 27, 2008 at 9:16 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    his thing says he's running cooper st's...so aftermarket tires...so 30" on a 5 lugger w/ stockers

5. Oct 27, 2008 at 9:31 AM
    jeepinoutwest

Member:
    I did buy it used with 8300 miles, but it looked really good underneath. I will take a look at the frame for deformities and or pulls. I am running 30" tires however the 4x4 tacos come with 31s, so i dont think that should cause it to pull.

6. Oct 27, 2008 at 9:38 AM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    If tires are properly installed and balanced they should not cause pulling.... frames are very hard to tell if they are bent tips are look at the truck from all angles... does it lean one way more than the other?.... also tires will not wear in uniform with each other along with cupping tread!!! good luck! and I hope it's not your frame but just a minor problem!!!!

7. Oct 27, 2008 at 11:08 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    My 03 Corolla pulled HARD to the right. It was the Cooper tires on it. Goodyear dealer that replaced them with TripleTreds said not uncommon for Coopers. YMMV.

You might be able to find out for sure if it's the tires or not by swapping the front right/left. If the pull changes to the other direction, bingo.

8. Oct 27, 2008 at 11:23 AM
    jeepinoutwest

Member:
    Well my frame looks perfect and we did try swapping the two new front tires and the pull is still there and still to the left. The tires are only days old and have only had this issue since the new tires, but they should still be able to make the truck drive straight. I purchased 4 sets of STTs previously without issue. Thanks for the input.

9. Oct 27, 2008 at 1:32 PM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    Good luck hope you figure it out!!

10. Oct 27, 2008 at 3:08 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    Mine pulls to the right a little bit. I have a feeling that it's because my RR tire has a bit less tread than the other 3...:burnrubber:

11. Oct 27, 2008 at 3:25 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    More I think about it, swapping the fronts left / right might not tell you as much as it seems it would. If you had one tire dragging the front end to one direction, swapped it to the other side, it may now be pushing the front end towards the same direction.

Maybe a front to rear swap might tell more. Best bet would be go with what Oxy said and borrow a couple wheels.

Also thinking maybe whomever mounted the wheels / tires screwed up the brakes accidentally on one side?

Bringing it to a different tire place, maybe they can diag it for you, if it is tire related you can go back to the original place with some ammo.

12. Oct 28, 2008 at 11:48 AM
    jeepinoutwest

Member:
    Well after 5 hours and mounting the tires in every spot plus putting it on the alignment machine 4 times we tried mounting new tires. Sure enough it steered perfectly when i put two factory size tires on the front. So the question is: what was the problem? the tires size (30x9.5 from 215/70/15s), the manufacturer (Cooper), or the Tread design (Cooper STT Deep Lug Mud tires)? My tire guy is great he is bring me in a set of 30" Michelin ltx m+s, and a set of 235/75/15 Michelin A/T2s. We'll see on friday which ones work. Sad to see the Cooper's didnt work, ive had 4 sets previously and love them.

13. Oct 28, 2008 at 11:57 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    Sadly, Coopers are crap. There's a thread here somewhere where a bunch of news stories and NTSB recall stuff is posted about them. Even their employees are worried about the total lack of concern management at Cooper is showing regarding safety and quality.

When I first got them and put on my Corolla I loved them. That changed in less than 3 years though. Vibration, pulling, uneven tread wear, jerking under heavy braking.

14. Oct 28, 2008 at 12:01 PM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    i had the same problem with BF Goodrich tires on my Chrysler... i guess it's just the tread/tire design with the type of vehicle that starts a weird tread wear and it just goes down hill from there. what i did to fix my problem until i could buy new tires was to put them on backwards (cross rotate) i was told the only thing it would effect is my handing in the rain (don't have to worry about that much in az) so it worked, but previously i had never heard of anything like that before...

15. Oct 31, 2008 at 7:16 AM
    jeepinoutwest

Member:
    Well, putting 30x9.5 Michelin M+Ss on solved my problem. It steers straight. I guess it was either the Cooper name or the deep lug design of the STTs.

16. Nov 10, 2008 at 5:23 PM
    roquelopez

roquelopez New Member

Member:
    Tijuana, Mexidco
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD SPORT
    Mine pulls very badly at 60-80 mph, has been aligned several times, tires replaced and is still there, the dealer didn't beleive nor the "factory" people, until i took them for a ride in the truck at 60 mph the would probably go out of the road in 2 or 3 seconds. Scary!!! The truck has been for three weeks with the dealer and son far they have not been able to solve the problem. I think is an structural issue the chassis was poorly desinged. I have seen many tacoma owners having problems with uneven wear of the front tires. I doubt You will be able to fix the problem with your truck. It's the same kind of trouble they have with the ticking noise on the left side of the engine, they will not accept there is a problem there or with the alignment. They most likely fix the problem until 2010 0 2011 model that way they dont have to fix the 2005 to 2009 models. It has been the greatest dissapontment from a vehicle that I thought was going to be the best I ever had. Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top