1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

truck rack

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sodbuster, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Apr 12, 2008 at 11:02 AM
    Sodbuster

Sodbuster [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I have a 2008 access cab. I'm looking for a rack system that is quickly removeable and is compatable with a tonneau cover. I haul two sea kayaks. Any suggestions?

2. Apr 12, 2008 at 12:39 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    Needing more information.

To me sea kayaks imply boats of significant length, say 12'6" or longer, which will necessitate them being over the cab and hood as well, so I am not thinking a hard tonneau with a rack on that will work for you, so I figure you are looking for something of a ladder rack for the bed, which will support the kayaks in the middle with a portion of them being over the cab area, and a portion being behind the tailgate. I am pretty sure that any kind of permenant style ladder rack will not play nice with any kind of tonneau cover.

Perhaps the canopy style truck cap thing that Piercedtiger has may be what you are looking for, depending on the load capacity of the bars when the canopy is not on it. (BTW tiger, what the hell is the proper name for that thing again?)

The other option I can come up with is the Thule 421 xporter. Linked here

The Xporter is a height adjustable rack system, that can be raised or lowered depending on your needs, but I do not thing that it drops to below the bed rails when not in use, so it would likely still need to be removed so you could re-install your tonneau cover, but i believe that it would take up less space in your garage while stored than a full bore ladder rack would, and it's about half the price of a contractor grade ladder rack as well.

3. Apr 12, 2008 at 6:00 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    I've run at 80mph with two 14' LiquidLogic Pisgahs strapped to the Thule rack on the roof of my Access Cab with zero problems. I've even run without the front and rear straps attached to the kayaks and had no issues at all.

Thule's Hull-A-Port rocks. It's solid, but don't over tighten the straps or you'll tin-can your boat. Also, get the wind deflector or the wind noise will make you feel all stabby when you arrive at your destination.

I've also got Thule's ski/snowboard adapter for snowboards and fishing rods and their 2-up surfboard rack for the obvious. :wave:

4. Jun 9, 2008 at 2:08 AM
    in2wks

in2wks Member

Member:
    forty fort pa
    Vehicle:
    o7 trd sport
    yakima rack with basket.....surf rod holder attached to basket....k&n filter......bed cover...cb radio.....
    i have a yakima rack on the top of my truck..........I leave it on all the time....but can take it off if i want

Products Discussed in

To Top