1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck run through auto washers needs help

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by MaidenFan, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Sep 13, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    MaidenFan

MaidenFan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD Sport Indigo Ink
    Mods: Missing right rear mud flap
    I've got a bit of a dilemma and not sure where to start.

Buddy has been running his truck through auto washers for the past couple years, usually getting the full deal with wax and whatever the washers add. It has not been hand waxed and its starting to show some minor problems, scratches from finger nails under the door handles, tailgate handle (sorry, I don't have pics to show), a couple of paint rubs from other car doors and the like. Just normal wear and tear for someone that just drives the car every day.

Now he want's to fix it a little bit and maintain it better, but where do we start? I've read the "official ask a detailer thread" and will be getting some of those recommended products for maintaining the paint later on, like the Optimum No Rinse wash and some good hand wax. Should we take it to a detailer and pay to have it detailed? Would that be expensive? Or just use a scratch remover and then go from there?

I was thinking something along the lines of:

1. A good hand wash first, then

2. Meguiar's ScratchX and/or Meguiar's ColorX (are both ok to use or needed?)

3. A good hand wax, maybe using Meguiar's Yellow #26

4. After all that ONR and proper care.

Now would a sealant be used somewhere?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

2. Sep 13, 2010 at 12:28 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Wash the truck with some Dawn mixed heavy to strip off whatever is on there. Then I would clay bar the whole truck. Windows, rims etc. (Don't use same piece for paint as windows and rims). Then rinse off.
    You will need something with some more bite to it to speed up the process. You will be there all day and night using SratchX 2.0. A good product in it's own but weak. I would order up some Meguiar's M105 and M205 and a small 4" orange and white foam pad. Use the 105 on the orange and polish up the truck. Then follow with the 205 on the white. Buff to a nice shine with a NEW microfiber towel. #26 is a nice wax, but will not last long at all. A good carnuba is like a show wax. Try some Gold Class. Nice OTC wax.

Now, before you break you balls, grab some painters tapne and section a 12"x12" section. Hit that section with 105 and wipe off (50/50 H20 and ISPA 93% works nice if not just elbow grease). Take a look at your work. See if you need to go again with the 105. If not, try the 205. ifyou are not happ, try again with 105. Basically, you are trying to figure out or "dial" your technique in. It maybe 2 passes 105, 1 pass 205. Only trial and error will tell. Once you have that section dialed in, do the whole truck that way.

Good luck!

3. Sep 13, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    MaidenFan

MaidenFan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD Sport Indigo Ink
    Mods: Missing right rear mud flap
    Hey, thanks for the info! Couple of follow up questions if you don't mind.

Would it be ok to use the M105/205 only in certain spots or would it have to be a thing where once I get started I'll need to do the whole truck with it? Will it produce uneven results if only used on some spots?

You said to get an orange and white foam pad..is there a particular one you have in mind? I have a couple of microfiber applicators that are brand new.

for the Gold Class, would you suggest the paste or liquid? Or, if stepping up to a better brand what would you use?

Thanks again for the information!

Products Discussed in

To Top