1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRUCK SCAM, ANY HELP OR ADVICE!!!????

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by Heschke, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Apr 26, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    x6

2. Apr 26, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    mr2r6

mr2r6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDOR 4X4
    Your best bet is to take it to court. You’d have to go the sellers home town to do this. I would pay for a body guy and mechanic to come with you to court and testify in their professional opinion that there was/is significant damage that was not disclosed in the ebay listing. Bring any emails or any ebay message ya’ll discussed about the condition of the truck. Just pray the judge has been screwed like this before somehow and has some sympathy for you. Other than that ebay and paypal are not going to do a thing. I’m not saying who is wrong or right but if this guy knew there was damage or crappy repairs that’s dick. You could try to hire a lawyer and the lawyer can threaten to take legal actions, but if the guy is smart he will know the lawyer can’t do shit. It’s going to cost you some money but that’s about all you can do.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Apr 26, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    donovan6241

donovan6241 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donovan
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed
  4. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN
    Wow, I'm so sorry about this man. I can't imagine how you feel at this point.

I hope the best for you in the situation.

Can you return the truck and eat the shipping cost?

Just see with paypal or your bank on how to do this. Just state you're willing to eat the shipping cost to you and returned back to the buyer.

Seems like it would be a better situation at this point.

I've been hunting for a vehicle thats used for my GF. We've looked at 25 different cars that were promising and only 3-5 were as described. Thats why you have to go see the vehicle in person to determine the true value. ​

This might be a expensive life lesson learned. Please be more careful when you decide to buy a home.

5. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    Jerry Bear

Jerry Bear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Mesquite, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    tint, topper, receiver hitch, trailer wiring, topper lighting, cruise control, intermittent wipers, backup camera, auto-dim mirror
    Go to a few car lots and get offers to buy the truck as-is.

Subtract the average offer from what you paid.

Now you know how much money you're dealing with.

If it's at least a few thousand, go to an attorney and do what he/she recommends. Don't make legal decisions based on what you read on the Internet.

It sounds to me like you have a cause of action against the garage that inspected the truck as well as against the seller, but remember my advice in the previous paragraph.

Oh, and go get a complete copy of that eBay listing NOW before it's gone. It helps to prove that the seller knew the history of the vehicle.

6. Apr 26, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    How much did you say you wanted for those wheels?:D

7. Apr 26, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Buying any thing sight unseen is taking a hell of a chance. Look at the bright side...at least it's got a engine.

8. Apr 26, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    RAD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN
    My suggestion is to do this also.

Print anything through communication by email you can from the seller and yourself.

Print the original Ebay listing for the truck.

Print the original Post for sale here for the truck

Print or obtain the receipt for the so called Appraisal from the shop you hired. They Failed you.

Print anything you can imagine to help your case.

Get all and keep all the estimates for the damage.

These will come in handy if and when you go further into it.

I wouldn't rest until you exhausted every avenue. Its not just the money, its the principle

9. Apr 26, 2011 at 9:53 PM
    leo08pirate

leo08pirate Katzo production

Member:
    First Name:
    Leo
    Oceanside CA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner 4.0L
    TRD exaust - Tinted Windows - TRD Intake - Alpine type S speakers
    you pay for what u get...

10. Apr 26, 2011 at 9:56 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    :spy:

11. Apr 26, 2011 at 10:00 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    And an awesome truck! You wanted this truck, just ignore the flaws & drive it & enjoy it.

If your local high school has an auto shop. Usually you can get repairs done for cheap. When I was in school. The teacher would only let 2nd & 3rd year students work on customers cars. The teacher was pocketing the money. He made out like a bandit.

12. Apr 26, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    id say fuck the law, get a plane ticket and pay him a visit. nough said, act like ur from cali

13. Apr 26, 2011 at 10:22 PM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
    its a shitty situation, but OP keeps laggin on pics and just comes in when someone says something that backs him up. you dont answer any of our questions and seriously, you were dumb enough to think you were getting a taco of that year for that price. you get what you pay for, if you cant afford a truck in your area with what you got, either change the vehicle you want or save up till you get what you want. like others have said, go to an attorney and see what they can do.

14. Apr 26, 2011 at 10:46 PM
    erazon

erazon Active Member

Member:
    Seatle
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma CrewCab
    2x

15. Apr 26, 2011 at 11:25 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Or you could "accidentally" ram it into a pole.... :anonymous:

j/k... maybe.

16. Apr 27, 2011 at 12:41 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    You really need to take pictures of the damage you say this truck has. I examined the ebay pictures VERY closely and I can not see 4k in damage to that body, and ive been around show cars and hot rods all my life.

The history of your truck is this. After it's last accident the insurance paid the guy out for the truck. (they do this when they feel the damage is not worth the money for the repair) They then sent it to a dealer auction. A dealer (not toyota) Bought the truck and repaired it to an operational status putting as little money into repairs as possible.(this explains little things like the grill being glued and is normal for ALL dealers) This guy then bought the truck, and then sold it for what ever reason (he knew it was crap or his story was true) The mechanic you had check it out did his job correctly. Panel misalignment is NOT major nor is it uncommon for even brand new vehicles. I can see some minimal misalignment in the pics but this is fixxable by yourself with very little cash investment at all. And as for them not seeing it, you need to understand there are different mechanics for different areas. A general mechanic usually deals with mechanical items, and a lot of them have no CLUE about body work. A body shop can spot a dent in a body panel without looking at it, but has no clue about engines, transmissions, etc. NOTHING you listed is something a general mechanic would note in an inspection, not even the rust. He stated he drove it in the snow, so you know he lives in an area where they probably salt the roads so surface rust is an everyday occurrence for them.

Here is my advice. Take an RoP body shop in your area and learn how to do the repairs yourself. These tend to be very cheap or even free to take. Search craigslist, ebay, and junkyards for the few parts you need like the grill. And finally, stop searching for things wrong and enjoy the truck. Even if you paid the 4k you got estimated you're still in good shape for the truck you got, but the more you look (on any car) the more you will find.

PS sorry for the longish post but I feel some people need to step back and look at things from a different perspective, not just the I'm a victim one.

17. Apr 27, 2011 at 3:45 AM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    Something doesn't add up, if you bought from that guy and that link, it had the ebay auction link and all the details were there, so how did you find the truck and/of the ebay auction? And looking from the ebay pics I can't see $4300 in damage.

18. Apr 27, 2011 at 3:54 AM
    808matt

808matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    19 Ranger
    assuming the seller doesnt know shit about trucks i'de put the blame on the autoshop since they stated "no major damage" not the seller. he did have the truck checked out and perhaps went with what they said.

19. Apr 28, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    909tacoma

909tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07' Prerunner SR5 TRD
    This thread is a dud. The op cries about how the truck is damaged etc. But has still yet to post pics or proof. The op cried then bailed.

If I got screwed over and I knew I was in the right, bet your ass I would be posting all the proof and documents I had..
    Just sayin...

20. Apr 28, 2011 at 3:56 PM
    RAD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN
    ^Did you say something?

I'm trying to read what you have typed but that ASS above you is making it real hard.

No Pun Intended

She so caught me looking, dang it. Least she waived at me. Pfft, I don't even know her.

Products Discussed in

To Top