1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck stalls when shifted to park.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Bigjohn07, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    Bigjohn07

Bigjohn07 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Los Angles
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I bought my taco brand new in 08' about a month later i drove it to vegas and parked in my cousins drive way. His drive way had a slight incline. When i pulled in and shifted to park it stalled, since i was out of town i figured i would deal with it when i got home. It did it a couple more times and when i got home i took it to the dealership, of course they couldnt duplicate the problem. I left frustrated and figured i would wait til happened again. A few months later it happened again and i took it back to the dealer. Again they were unable to make it happen. I informed them that it seems to only occur on cold days when i have the heater on. Also when i am parked on an incline. The dealership told me it was because i use cheap gas...BS if you ask me. Some how after that it stopped for a few years the problem never resurfaced until last week after driving to Arizona. Truck is now out of warranty dont know what to do. Sorry for the long winded explanation, i just wanted to provide some history. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Thanks.

2. Jun 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Hmmm..never heard of this issue before? Dealership said cheap gas?...what a bunch of idiots. I know this is a stupid question but your not super low on gas are you when this happens?

3. Jun 4, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    Bigjohn07

Bigjohn07 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Los Angles
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Not at all...i forgot to mention that it happens when i shift in reverse too. And if i pull to close to a parking block. Like you know when you front wheels are snug up to the block...it wont start at all, i have to put it in neutral to back off a little so it will start. Its really weird. I have asked a lot of my buddies who now cars and they have no idea...its a real head scratcher!

4. Jun 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
  5. Jun 4, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    I bet it's the fuel pump.

6. Jun 4, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    My first guess is it's a 'safety feature' of sorts in the linkage of the shifter.... kinda like it keeps you from starting it in neutral or reverse.

.... The puzzler is that it shuts off when shifting. :confused:

I'd love to know wtf it is too. Good luck.

7. Jun 5, 2012 at 3:12 AM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    Neutral Safety Switch?

8. Jun 5, 2012 at 3:29 AM
    DrewH

DrewH Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gear position sensor...... maybe.

9. Jun 5, 2012 at 4:58 AM
    Ga tacoguy

Ga tacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudy
    Augusta Ga.
    Vehicle:
    Extended cab Base model 4 cyl
    Tailgate mod, horn mod,storage door mod
    :) John, I have been reading about your problem. I believe your trouble is in your transmission, your overdrive is not turning off at the right time and it is bogging down the engine. I have been trying to research this on a Toyota, to find a solution. You need to find a transmission shop you can trust not to cheat you and let them look at the problem.
    From what I can research, you have a problem with the Shift solenoid valve or your Valve body assembly. If you have a trusted shop that can fix this without cheating you, you may not have a big expense. Good Luck.

10. Jun 5, 2012 at 5:00 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Your cousin's driveway, Vegas, Arizona, out-of-town versus home, and so on are irrelevant. Need more real info. Does the engine stall just as soon as you do something (shift gears, etc) or just fade out after a few moments? How long and hard were you driving in the minutes before? How fast or slow is the engine idling? Is there anything else (noise, smell, etc) associated with the problem? Have you done any engine modifications? Are there any warnings or indications on the instrument cluster? Has the truck been serviced properly? Can you think of anything else happening which might be relevant?

This comment in your second message is interesting. It might suggest a problem with the shift linkage or clutch - something providing resistance to the engine causing it to stall or not start.

Anyway, when you take it to the repair shop, be careful not to lead them off in the wrong direction. For example, by citing the incline as a key symptom, the dealer may focus on that instead of thinking about more likely causes.

11. Jul 16, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    JPR21

JPR21 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    San Antonio/San Angelo, TX
    Vehicle:
    12' Toyota Tacoma 4 Cyl. Prerunner
    Hey man, any updates to your problem with this? I recently had my vehicle stall twice, trying to shift from reverse to drive in a swift manner. I only have 1000 miles driven so far(have had my truck for a month and a half and cant believe this is hapening!!) thanks man

Products Discussed in

To Top