1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

truck starts by itself

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ryan c, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Jan 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    ryan c

ryan c [OP] rookie

Member:
    First Name:
    ryan
    661 Lake Ez
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 swb dc
    2.5" lift in front, aFe air intake, anytime foglights, cut 9" off antenna, superwhite headlights, spintech exhaust, med. tint in the front, weathertech floorliners and caltech seat covers, dashtek dash cover, CHLM, debadged and destickered,
    anybody else have a clue?

2. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    ryan c

ryan c [OP] rookie

Member:
    First Name:
    ryan
    661 Lake Ez
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 swb dc
    2.5" lift in front, aFe air intake, anytime foglights, cut 9" off antenna, superwhite headlights, spintech exhaust, med. tint in the front, weathertech floorliners and caltech seat covers, dashtek dash cover, CHLM, debadged and destickered,
    whats the fog light anytime mod?

3. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    rubberduckytaco

rubberduckytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nicholas
    sumter sc
    Vehicle:
    09 prerunner dc sb
    running boards, backup camera, yellow fogs, camo interior
  4. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
  5. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    A mod gone wrong.

6. Jan 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    he said that his foglight will come on, and in order for that to happen, since from the factory, the headlights have to be on in order for the foglights to be turned on, then I'm assuming he gave power to the foglight relay somehow.

if he did it like this

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6

option 3

then this is from the write up "I’ve heard that in some cases if the fog light button is left on, your fog lights will sometime have a tendency to flicker on/off after 4-6 hours of sitting. The fog lights evidentially will come on for a minute or so then turn off repeating this process every 4-6 hours…"

because there is power running to that circuit intermittenly

7. Jan 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    ryan c

ryan c [OP] rookie

Member:
    First Name:
    ryan
    661 Lake Ez
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 swb dc
    viat fuckin Nammer!! you got it man. option 3, thats exactly what he did. thanks man!!!! any chance that could cause an occasional start? i think that might just be a bad remote

8. Jan 8, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    glad that worked out for you, I dont think that mod could cause the occasional start, because that circuit would turn on intermittenly on anybody's truck, I would think it has something to do with the remote start system, either like you said, remote, or the brain/module, and what personally think, is probably the wiring. Has it been doing it since you've had the remote start, if that, then they probably wired it to something they shouldn't have, and whatever they wired it to would also receive the occasional power, and start your car.

9. Jan 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    call Zach Bagins and the The ghost adventurers crew

10. Jan 15, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    ryan c

ryan c [OP] rookie

Member:
    First Name:
    ryan
    661 Lake Ez
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 swb dc
    the remote start came with the truck when i bought it. it could be the wiring but whats weird is it hasnt started by itself in over 6 months. it happened prob like 5 times in the 1.5 years before that.

11. Jan 15, 2012 at 2:32 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Several manufacturers (Ford, BMW, Audi, etc) and 3rd party venders (Bulldog, Viper, etc) offer remote starters which start/stop the engine at regular intervals and/or based on battery voltage - features intended to prevent freezing & critical battery drain during extremely cold weather. Quite popular in areas, like Northern Arizona, with very cold winter temperatures. I even once drove a military vehicle, decades ago, with similar features. Of course, in each case, the system only functions if the vehicle is setup properly (transmission, parking brake, etc).

12. Jan 15, 2012 at 8:09 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

My remote start has that feature, but you have to program it to do that, it won't do it just because. Also it has a feature to where it will start at a specific time, like mon-fri at 7am. No bullshit.

13. Sep 3, 2015 at 6:01 PM
    bjaustin59

bjaustin59 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road
    So here's a completely different twist to this post that has scared the sh-- out of me. I'm outside putting the sun shade in the front window of my 2012 Tacoma. I have a key....I repeat, a key, that both starts the truck as well as turns the truck off. I don't have a Viper Auto Start or whatever it's called. I have a key! The key was in my pocket. After putting the shade in the window I walked around the truck just to admire it. I opened the back door (it's a 4 door) on the passenger side, and when I closed it the truck started. I'm not kidding, my wife was there, too, but of course you don't know her any more than you know me. But I'm telling you, the truck started. And did I mention where the key was? It was IN MY POCKET! After checking to see if I was alive and not dreaming I decided to walk around to the driver's door. I cautiously opened the door, got in, noted that the gear shift was in Park (it's an automatic) and the key switch (which had no key in it since it was in my pocket) was in the off position. So I just stared for a minute, trying to decide what had happened. I finally decided to change gears to see if it would move. As soon as I touched the brake pedal it turned off. I started it with the key several times and saw no apparent problems.

Now I ask you.....anyone ever heard of this one?? I'm all ears if anyone can offer an explanation!

14. Sep 4, 2015 at 5:22 AM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC

[​IMG]

15. Sep 4, 2015 at 5:24 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    SUMMARY

op tapped into the wrong power supply. the truck has an evap system that kicks on every 4 hours, if you choose to
    tap into these power leads, stuff will power on (like fogs) when the evap system does it's 4 hour vapor collection.

16. Sep 4, 2015 at 5:53 AM
    Revelations

Revelations Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB
    Remote start systems have a fail safe. When you press the brake pedal without inserting the key and switching to the "On" position, it will shut the engine off. Likely, you have a remote start installed in your truck... Unless you are the first and only owner... in that case, I'd bring it back to the dealer and have them service it.

17. Sep 4, 2015 at 6:05 AM
    Revelations

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB
    Not likely. It doesn't matter where you tap for power on a remote start. The brain is what controls the function.

Remote start sequence:

Remote signal > Remote start brain > Key sense for those with anti-theft > Ignition (-) Starter input

More detailed: https://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdn...STANDING THE WORKINGS OF A REMOTE STARTER.pdf

18. Sep 4, 2015 at 6:08 AM
    TacomaZL

TacomaZL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    WeatherTech Floor Mats; 15" Cragar Black "D" Window Wheels; Custom Center Caps; 235/75/R15 Goodyear Radial Wranglers; "TOYOTA" Tailgate Decal; Magnetic Tool Storage (in Cabin); Stant Locking Gas Cap; Salex Glove box Organizer Debadged; BHLM; Aftermarket Fog lights; FlashWolves 1000 Lumen Reverse lights; DEPO Black LED Tail lights; Differential Extended Breather Mod; FalconZero F170HD+ Dashcam; Scosche MagicMount; Tyger Auto Tri-Fold Pickup Tonneau Cover;
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA
    OMG that's the greatest thing ever lol

theredofshaw likes this.
  19. Sep 4, 2015 at 6:08 AM
    Revelations

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB
    My guess is that the remote start/alarm brain needs to be inspected/ repaired. Only other thing you can check is the ignition harness. Make sure the electrical tape that got used to cover the splices haven't become exposed and they're somehow making contact.

20. Sep 4, 2015 at 6:16 AM
    CurtB

CurtB Old Timer knowitall

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma SR5
    Does the truck have a name? Is it
    CHRISTINE perhaps? ;)

Products Discussed in