1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck was broken into last night

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by logcabinwc, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Sep 15, 2014 at 3:16 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    Opened the door to my truck this morning to go to work and saw my stuff all over the place on the inside. Glove box was open, center console was open, stuff all over the seats. They went through the pockets on the back front two seats as well and the door pockets. The truck was LOCKED, but none of the windows were smashed or anything, so they must have shimmied it open.

Only a few things taken, which was surprising considering some of the stuff they left. They got:
    SOG Seal Pup Elite Satin knife with a custom leather sheath I had made for it
    Midland two way radios
    Big MagLite (mounted to my drivers seat)
    Tool/Ratchet set
    Old registration papers

Totaled it up and it comes to just under $300 before tax. Insurance will cover it (still on dorm/apartment insurance from my undergrad years that covers this kind of thing) and it's only a $50 deductible.

The weird stuff is my iPod (which was in plane sight), cb radio, aftermarket Pioneer Radio, and some other stuff was just totally left.

And thank goodness they didn't find my current insurance and registration stuff, which wasn't in the glove box. They also didn't discover that the back seats have storage because I have a lot of stuff back there, including a few axes, inverter, and tools.

Oh well, a bummer, especially because I live in such a random place where this thing never happens. My neighbor said he has lived here for 30 years and he has never heard of this kind of thing happening. They also tried to get into my landlords truck, but I don't think figured out how to open up his in-bed tool box.

Filed a police report but I know there is nothing they can really do. We have a major fire going on here in Pollock Pines right now so the sheriff is stretched incredibly thin as it it. It's just weird to know someone was crawling around my truck and getting into my stuff. Looks like I'll be investing in an alarm system though!

2. Sep 15, 2014 at 3:31 PM
    choppersx

choppersx ZoMbiE aLeRt

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1968 Ford Mustang
    Lifted Bilstein shocks 5100's Front set 1.75, Rear set 1.5 ICON 3 Leaf Progressive add on / Lights-Retrofit with Halos & interior Dome / Tinted windows/AFE PRo Dry Air Filter / Go Rhino Bars / Flowmaster Exhaust 50 series
    What a bummer, lucky you didnt have to deal with a broken window or any other type of damage besides stuff mention above.
    Good luck getting your things replace , setting your new alarm.

3. Sep 15, 2014 at 3:37 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    bummer man, sorry to hear u got deflowered, I hate that feeling.

4. Sep 15, 2014 at 3:41 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    Sorry to hear that man.
    I know the feeling.

5. Sep 15, 2014 at 4:01 PM
    logcabinwc

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    Ya, it definitely feels violating. I am very happy they didn't break a window though.

I have a feeling/theory it was probably assholes up here because of the fire. There is a real problem with burglars taking advantage of evacuations and breaking into peoples homes. With a big fire just a mile away right now I think some folks are out just trying to take advantage of people. I know the sheriff has already arrested one guy, and some folks were able to get back to their house to grab some stuff and found a truck in their driveway with two people trying to get in the front door. Needless to say those pieces of shit ran for it...
    Sad to think people would be so willing to knowingly take from those who are at risk of loosing everything.

6. Sep 15, 2014 at 4:02 PM
    VaGlock

VaGlock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    central virginia
    Vehicle:
    14 DBLC / Sport / Blue Ribbon Metalic
    Weathertech mats and wind deflectors, Bak Flip cover, CB Radio,Clazzio seat covers,Scan gauge,Uni filter,LED interior lights, Redline hood struts
    Just curious does anyone know if it is easy to jimmy the doors on these trucks? I am sure an experienced thief, or a locksmith could do it pretty quickly, but what about your common thug?
    Glad to hear your truck was not damaged.

7. Sep 15, 2014 at 4:03 PM
    logcabinwc

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    But opinions....

Any luck with alarms?

or even dash cams with motion sensors?

Been doing some research and there are a lot of options out there, especially for security alarm systems. Viper seems to be a big one, but there are lots of them out there.

8. Sep 15, 2014 at 4:17 PM
    Chicane

Chicane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    So Cal(Huntington Beach)
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Sport
    How will your insurance cover this? Just curious since my girl friends 4 Runner was broken into a few months ago. Same as you, no signs of entry. I think she may have left it unlocked, but it's hard to know for sure. Spend the $20 and buy a rear window security bar from a vendor on this site. in case you are interested.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=3313540

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  9. Sep 15, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    logcabinwc

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Well I kept my dorm/apartment/student insurance, and it covers vehicle break ins under the policy. I'm having a police report filed, and in a day or two I'll file a claim with the insurance. Should be a $50 deductible if I remember, and hopefully I can just hand them my short list of things taken and they can cover it.

I'm mostly bummed about the knife... it was a $100+ knife and I had spent a hell of a lot of time on making a really nice leather sheath on it.

10. Sep 15, 2014 at 4:35 PM
    la0d0g

la0d0g Its 4 o’clock somewhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    running for the hills
    Vehicle:
    For crawling not hauling
    don't do this.

11. Sep 15, 2014 at 4:35 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Sorry for the invasion! I hate thieves.

I keep my insurance and registration for each of my trucks in my wallet. No way a thief is talking themselves out of a ticket without either of them if they get pulled over while joyriding your truck as you sleep.

yes

Toyota has two of the top ten most stolen cars (#2 Camry/ #3 Corolla). I'm sure our locks are similar.

12. Sep 15, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
  13. Sep 15, 2014 at 7:13 PM
    logcabinwc

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    FUCK.
    Just realized they took a daypack I had in there... full of my dogs stuff mostly...
    Check Cord, lead collar, shock collar, climbing carabiner, random little knife, dog food, REI daypack.. few other random things.

Damn it.

14. Sep 15, 2014 at 7:18 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    That sucks man. For alarms, I like Viper. And as many sensors as I could afford.

15. Sep 15, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    Pool Runner

Pool Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '14,TRD/OR, Entune & Nav '13 Subaru Outback
    Lowes Slimline Tool box, OEM Bug shield.
    Dang, you are kind of close to home for me. Didn't you guys have a wild fire near you yesterday? Surprised this happen in the midst of all that?

16. Sep 15, 2014 at 7:28 PM
    Chicane

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    So Cal(Huntington Beach)
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Sport
    Great advice.
    ....ing scumbags should be shot, but only with a 9mm.

17. Sep 15, 2014 at 8:42 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+

Ditto. Remember what goes up must come down. You'll be opening a bigger can of worms by doing that.

18. Sep 15, 2014 at 8:45 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why any of you think it's rational to shoot someone you catch rummaging through your coin tray is beyond me.

19. Sep 15, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    Chicane

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    So Cal(Huntington Beach)
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Sport
    It is rational if they point a gun or any other weapon at you when you confront them, because they will be long gone by the time the Police show up. Is it worth going to court and paying a lot of money to clear yourself of self defense, no.
    We are just saying what we would like to do and any thief deserves to have a gun pointed at them, if not shot. Then they will think twice before there next crime spree.

20. Sep 15, 2014 at 11:06 PM
    logcabinwc

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    oh its still here... we are packing up our stuff tonight. I'm within a few blocks of the voluntary evacuation zone, and the fire is only getting bigger and worse. I have a reeeally bad gut feeling on this one so we are definitely getting ready for the worse. My brother is on call to bring his work truck and trailer out here to help us load up if they extend the evacuation zone to us.

Products Discussed in

To Top