1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck was broken into last night

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by logcabinwc, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Sep 17, 2014 at 3:53 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is an ignorant comment at best. Should I attribute that stupid comment to you being from Alabama?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  2. Sep 17, 2014 at 3:55 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    This isn't a California law, there are some states in the US where you're protected from civil lawsuits filed by or on behalf of a criminal you've injured/killed, but that isn't every state. A burglar can cut his hand while breaking your kitchen window and sue you for it in a lot more states than CA.

And they win. This is the problem with our shitty legal system, political system, educational system, medical system, etc,. They all operate on a similar pity system that rewards the lesser people among us.

3. Sep 17, 2014 at 4:19 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Right, because there's a difference between a gun owner and an idiot who owns a gun.

4. Sep 17, 2014 at 4:45 PM
    IPNPULZ

IPNPULZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Deeper in the South…….
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road Premium 4R
    going to be fun!
    ^^ High Five

5. Sep 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Not a hippie in the least, I've been shooting and hunting since I was a kid, among other non-hippie attributes that don't need to be listed. Someone saying I'm against shooting a person who is going through my glove compartment because I'm from California is ignorant, as fuck - actually. If it's made in sarcasm, whatever, but if someone actually thinks Californians are all clones of one supreme liberal human then they're dumb as can be. I will always differentiate myself from the gun owners who think it's cool, funny, or smart to talk about shooting someone who is committing a non-violent crime. It's one thing to draw and fire on someone who is causing serious bodily harm to you or someone else, and it's a completely different situation than someone pulling your backpack out of your broken rear window. You don't have to value human life at all, the court will decide if that is a correct mindset for you. A non-violent crime can't result in great bodily harm, especially in regards to a CCW/CHL holder being the aggressor. That reflects on ALL CCW/CHL holders and then we all become trigger happy lunatics with rights to kill, regardless of the fact that it is completely untrue. Public opinion is our biggest fight as gun owners at this time.

Gun owners, especially in these days when so many people who were gun neutral are now anti-gun and pro legislation, who support and vote for politicians who are feeding off their endless cries of disarming responsible, legal gun owners. Now is not the time for people to stand outside Starbucks and Walmart with your AR and a Super Redhawk on your belt, while the majority of our nation is becoming more gun fearing with each headline and thinks every gun owner is a nutcase on the verge of exploding. The Texas rancher who refused to pay his debts and had all the gun nuts he could get show up to "fight the feds" is a perfect example. We all looked like dumbfucks, because the dumbfucks were on TV representing us while threatening to shoot people over an old scumbag's cattle.

So no, I'm not that gun owner, because I value my freedom (even if it's ever dwindling in CA) and my right to bear arms. There is a very strong divide between my desire to maintain gun ownership in my state, and what Tommy Twelve Guns in any of the other 49 states thinks he should do to "take a stand" for his. California will legislate me because of what he does, and that is a short path to legislation and confiscation if they can get there. You can laugh about "he lives in California" all you like, but when they outlaw everything here you can guarantee it'll spread to other states, too. It might not spread to yours, but if you're a gun owner, that doesn't matter. Gun rights are gun rights, and we all deserve the same in this country. Gun owners who say "MOVE OUT OF CALIFORNIA AND ENJOY FREEDOM" don't take into account that when one large state such as CA falls out of it's constitutional protections that we will be in major, major trouble. The minute we give up in any state, the faster we all lose. Nobody concerned with their future, children's future of firearms ownership and freedom should champion giving up.

When we portray ourselves poorly, not many Americans will look at that and say, "so-and-so shouldn't have owned a gun, he isn't rational or responsible with that right." But millions of them will say "if he didn't own a gun, this wouldn't have happened. We don't need guns, they're dangerous, and gun owners are dangerous."

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  6. Sep 17, 2014 at 5:12 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Theives are fucking weird man...

Me and my buddy were snowboarding one day and we left our boards unlocked for like 5 minutes while we went to grab a beer in the lodge. We come back out and his board it gone.

His board was the my old one that I sold him worth under 400$ with the bindings.

They left my brand new park pickle with top of the line Burton binding that was easily worth over double his that was sitting right beside it.

Dumb motherfuckers smh...

7. Sep 17, 2014 at 5:18 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Thieves turn things over quickly and for whatever amount of money they can get quickly and without too many questions or suspicions. If you aren't stealing for your own gain, but to sell it to someone, it's smarter to steal something well used or mundane and sell it for $20 than to have a brand new or high-dollar item that retails for $1400 but you'll sell today for $100 or walk into a pawn shop and not know anything about what you're trying to sell.

"Craft" items that are something that an enthusiast would only buy, like a handbuilt 1911 or custom board they'd have a hard time selling since they lack the info and knowledge about that item that the owner would easily know. I would assume they'd have an item worth $20 and an item worth $200 and they'd still sell both for $10 cash, just to get ten bucks. Doesn't apply in all cases, but I'd bet it covers most.

8. Sep 17, 2014 at 5:19 PM
    cheeseit

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    x2

Someone at work did this. They cut the guys hand up pretty good. The crackhead responded by smashing out a window and bleeding all over the interior rubbing it into the seats.

Gotta love having HIV/Hep/whatever the fuck else crack heads have stained into your seats.

If you catch someone stealing out of your car keep him at gun point until cops get there. Don't just shoot the fucking guy unless he comes at you. No reason to start popping off shots in your neighbourhood unless it's risk of life and limb imo.

9. Sep 17, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    Well this thread has taken an interesting turn.

Regardless, to now chip in with the current theme, I don't think I would ever brandish/pull/display a gun when someone was trying to steal my stuff. I think I would only ever pull mine out if someone was threatening the health and safety of myself, family, friends, or the innocent. Material things like iPods and crap can be replaced, or gotten over. I think people often talk a lot about how they would pull a gun because "the guy deserves it because he's a stealing scum bag", but I don't think anyone has the right to take another persons life away unless they are harming others. It's not my decision whether someone deserves to live or die.
    Now, I might be from California, but I an not a hippie like I'm sure some of you will perceive now. I'm liberal about some things, conservative about others. People who think all Californians are identical in our beliefs are pretty damn foolish. We have such a mix here, and where I live is mostly ag and ranching with a heavy majority being republican. Just depends where you are, but everywhere has a pretty good mix.

10. Sep 17, 2014 at 5:29 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Didn't mean to clog your thread, Log. I apologize.

11. Sep 17, 2014 at 5:31 PM
    cheeseit

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Well said.

12. Sep 17, 2014 at 8:11 PM
    Timbo's Customs

Timbo's Customs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Timothy
    Lakeland FL
    Vehicle:
    2019 f250 6”lift 37s deleted 1997 T4r, tons and 4ds
    1997 t4r has super duty axles, 5.13s locked front and rear. 3 link front with 14" kings. Rear 63s.
    If you have a sliding rear window i can get in within 2 min and have all doors unlocked. I had to break into my truck the other day because i locked my keys in the house and had my 4mo old outside with me. I have a garage door opener so i had to get in. took off my ring so i didnt break the glass and you use your left hand. Smack the window in a sweeping motion and it pops open. then take the middle head rest and use it to reach the lock lever on either side with your head and arm in back window. hop out and crawl into the truck. Its crazy how short of time i was in my own truck. Took longer hitting the lock lever then to open the window.

Yes i know grammar and punctuation. sorry

13. Sep 17, 2014 at 8:39 PM
    toyodajeff

toyodajeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    They probably stole only the stuff they could pawn, Pawn shops around here dont take car audio because its so easy to steal. I believe ipods are kinda easy to track too, if you plug them into a computer.

14. Sep 17, 2014 at 8:46 PM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:
    Paid for and saving a shit ton of $$$$$
    Thinking of adding a second battery...
    because it is satisfying to put a piece of shit out of this planet. they are asking for it.

15. Sep 17, 2014 at 8:47 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    PeeRunners comments are some of the best in this thread.

What you are allowed to legally do varies by state but even states that have laws giving people the right to defend property with lethal force also have clauses prohibiting dangerous booby traps. The reason for this is that you can never know the true intention of someone who is entering your vacant property. For instance, it might be a firefighter there to put out a fire or a police officer chasing a criminal. And, do you really want to blow away a little kid playing hide and seek in your barn?

However, you probably would be justified with a die pack booby trap of it was one that didn't explode. A university I went to was having trouble with some students setting off fire alarms until they rigged them with anti-tamper dye and had a talk with the blue-handed students the next day.

Looking into the issue of keyless hacking, I've found that some newer higher-end vehicles are dealing with this problem by changing the entry codes reach time the vehicle is locked. In this way someone scanning frequencies wont be able to use the same one.

For us with older vehicles, I guess we need to come up with a mod that would prevent someone from hacking the keyless entry. One such that I could think of would be to place a disconnect on a timer into the system so that keyless entry would be disabled overnight or for a certain time if one was going shopping.

From my experience, if someone really wants to get into your vehicle, they are going to do so. I once parked in front of a shopping mall in a "safe" suburb in Oregon just before noon, went in for ten minutes to pick up an umbrella, and came out to find my window broken out and my steering column cover torn off. If I had been in there five more minutes I probably would have had the truck stolen.

16. Sep 17, 2014 at 8:51 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Hopefully you avoid that situation, since that piece of shit's attorney will find this post of yours for your court date.

Grow up.

17. Sep 17, 2014 at 8:59 PM
    Shwaa

Shwaa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC Prerunner TRD Off-Road

San Diego FTMFW. Born and raised in Fallbrook/Carlsbad.

18. Sep 17, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Never been a member of CalGuns. Or CRPA. And I stopped my NRA membership when I was old enough to figure out they're not a solution to the problem.

19. Sep 17, 2014 at 9:03 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
  20. Sep 17, 2014 at 9:04 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Never too serious on the internet. Just enough to make a point when I feel like making one.

Been to SD once, could never live there. :cheers:

And if it means anything, I think Ayoob is a clown also. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top