1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trueflow XD-I Group Buy

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hokihigh, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Jan 8, 2008 at 8:43 AM
    hokihigh

hokihigh [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hey guys,

I have been wanting to try this product out for sometime and I'm sure I'm not the only one. So I called trueflow this morning and discussed this product at length with them and then I suggested we set a group buy and they agreed.

So here is the deal: We are looking at a price of $300 or less, the more people the less it costs. We need a minimum of 15 participants. Feel free to pm with your questions.

http://www.trueflow.com/xdi.php

hokihigh

2. Jan 8, 2008 at 4:07 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I checked out their site. Doesn't explicitly say it's a dry filter.... I'm guessing it is, but would want that verified. I can get an AFE dry filter CAI for around $265 with free shipping so it would have be under $300 before I'd even think about it.

3. Jan 8, 2008 at 4:49 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    It's an oil filter. In the FAQ someone asks about using K&N oil on the filter. They recommend their own oil.

4. Jan 8, 2008 at 5:17 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Eh, thanks... I'll pass on this. Heard enough arguments about K&N oil f'ing up the MAF sensor.

5. Jan 15, 2008 at 8:55 AM
    FamouzStarz

FamouzStarz The illest taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD PRO
    ICON Build and then some
    i thought the true flow system used a foam type filter so obviously it would be dry,,just my $.02

6. Jan 15, 2008 at 9:04 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Check out the FAQ I linked to above. It's definitely an oil filter. Oil on foam filters is actually pretty common in the motorcycle world.

7. Jan 15, 2008 at 9:08 AM
    FamouzStarz

FamouzStarz The illest taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD PRO
    ICON Build and then some
    ahh hah...guess i wont be using that on my taco, i think ill go with the afe stage 2 setup dry filter :cool:

8. Mar 22, 2008 at 10:15 AM
    RedruM29

RedruM29 Blinking Car Mod...

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Nor☆Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 trd sport 4x4
    Just enough, and never enough
    i love mine but without a group buy i got it for 280 from a discount performance truck parts shop a mile from my house:rolleyes:. no problems with it so far and it sounds great. take a look at the picture in my gallery the only thing i noticed is the heat, one of the clamps started to get heat colored (copperish)

9. Mar 22, 2008 at 9:32 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    The only foam filters I've ever run were on dirt bikes and all were oiled filters.

10. Mar 22, 2008 at 9:49 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    I'm a bit new to this site, but been researching. Question is who has actually had problems with oil filters. I understand that it's a huge rumor and that problems actually only happened on a rare ocassion. K&N actually has a warranty disclosure out due to this.

So, not as a challenge but more as a question, why do so many, members back the AFE dry filter. What actuall proof of damage and warranty issues have occured to have neg reccomendations put out to several other CAI product manufacturers?

Just doing my research, no probs yet, but not happy with my AIRAID. Hear more gear winding than intake. Looking to remove the entire box with K&N, TRD, or Tru Flow. XDI is top of my list...

11. Mar 22, 2008 at 10:14 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    I ran a K&N drop in for 9 years on my '99 Tacoma with no problems at all. The only reason I'm running the AFE oil free drop in on the '08 is even better filtering, compared to the K&N, and cleaning with just soap and water. $45 to the door didn't hurt either. ;) As far as the XDI foam. I've run Twin Air foam oiled filters on dirt bikes for years with great results. It's just a pain to clean and reoil, same with K&N in my opinion. Technology or I'm getting lazy maybe.

12. Mar 23, 2008 at 6:16 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    I bought a K&N filter for my mom's Rav4 so she wouldn't have to replace the filter since they claim you don't have to clean it for 1 million miles according to their site. :rolleyes: For what she drives and never goes offroad I figured it'd be good enough for her, and she'd never have to re-oil it.

I bought an AFE for the same reason above! :D I'm too lazy to mess around with oil when I have a blow gun for the compressor, and a hose. Also, I've heard most of the problems with MAF sensors were due to people putting too much oil on during the cleaning. I just didn't want to bother with that. Combine that with the fact the AFE was cheaper than K&N straight up before adding in the K&N cleaning kit. :thumbsup:

13. Mar 23, 2008 at 8:14 AM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    You do have the clean the K&N every 50K miles, NOT at 1 million miles. The filter is supposed to last and has a warranty for 1 million miles. Go back to the K&N site and re-read what is written.

From their FAQ page:

4. How often do I need to clean my K&N air filter?

If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your filter is fine and does not yet need cleaning. To be more specific, the filter does not require cleaning if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the filter, it is time to clean it. When used in normal paved road, street or highway conditions, our replacement air filters that fit in the factory air box should require cleaning every 50,000 miles and our large conical filters on an intake system should require cleaning every 100,000 miles. When used in dusty or off-road environments, our filters will require cleaning more often. We recommend that you visually inspect your filter once every 25,000 miles to determine if the screen is still visible.

THE WARRANTY:
    All K&N OE replacement Air Filters - as specified below - are warranted against defective materials or workmanship for one million miles.

14. Mar 23, 2008 at 9:20 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    ah. ok. I was wondering about that. Either way, she hasn't put 50k on it. So it should be fine for her. She doesn't put the miles on like I do. I have 43k on in less that 2 years.

15. Mar 23, 2008 at 10:28 AM
    Tacoma_CT

Tacoma_CT Active Member

Member:
    Bristol CT
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 with TRD Sp
    True Flow XDI Air Intake, Borla exaust, Hunter brush gaurd, Hunter nurf bars, Toyota Roof rack Comming SOON.. Glass works fenders
    hey you definetly can get the XDI for 265 shipped from a site i got my dads on i just have to find it again and ill post but who ever said they got discoloration on the plastic can you put up a pic cuz so i can see i mine hasent discolored yet and iv had mine for like 6+ months and i dont exactly drive slow my 10-15mpg tells it all but just wanted to see so i can keep an eye out for it thanks

Tacoma_CT

16. Mar 23, 2008 at 10:48 AM
    RedruM29

RedruM29 Blinking Car Mod...

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Nor☆Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 trd sport 4x4
    Just enough, and never enough
    not the plastic the metal clamps and i will post the pics for you right after i get home from my parents house on easter, sound like a plan.

17. Mar 23, 2008 at 6:21 PM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    So how is it looking???

18. Mar 24, 2008 at 11:05 AM
    05PreRunner

05PreRunner "Living life in the FAST lane..."

Member:
    <-(714)-> SO-CAL
    TRD intake, JBA "shorty" headers, URD y-pipe
  19. Mar 24, 2008 at 2:49 PM
    roxspin72

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
  20. Mar 25, 2008 at 6:25 PM
    Tacoma_CT

Tacoma_CT Active Member

Member:
    Bristol CT
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 with TRD Sp
    True Flow XDI Air Intake, Borla exaust, Hunter brush gaurd, Hunter nurf bars, Toyota Roof rack Comming SOON.. Glass works fenders
    my friend had some problems with getting his from truck customisers it actualy took 2 and a half weeks with the not normal shipping but not the two day but it seems like from what i was reading he is the only one that has had that problem well that sever a couple people said add a day or 2 but its not a big deal from the drop in price

Products Discussed in

To Top