1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truetrac up front?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 98fourbangertaco, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Jul 14, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    98fourbangertaco

98fourbangertaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    98 toyota tacoma, 4wd, SR5, 2.7L, 5-speed
    daystar 2.5in suspension lift kit, detroit truetrac in rear, custom transfer case skidplate, deckplate mod, green high-performance drop in filter, Huskyliner floor mats, 31x10.50 wild country radial mtx tires, yakima roof rack, load warrior basket, stubbs welding rock sliders, arb front bumper with warn 9,000lb winch and procomp black series 100w offroad lights, trail-gear rear bumper, borla exhaust, blacked out factory wheels, shovel mounted on roof rack, de-mudflaped
    I have a truetrac in the rear of my taco and are looking in to putting one in the front. Has anyone installed a truetrac or any other lsd or locker in the front of a first gen taco, how did it go, thanks

2. Jul 14, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    What kind of hubs you got? Non selectable lockers aren't recommended for ADD diffs.

3. Jul 14, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Well...The Tru Track is more an LS diff.....

4. Jul 14, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    98fourbangertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    daystar 2.5in suspension lift kit, detroit truetrac in rear, custom transfer case skidplate, deckplate mod, green high-performance drop in filter, Huskyliner floor mats, 31x10.50 wild country radial mtx tires, yakima roof rack, load warrior basket, stubbs welding rock sliders, arb front bumper with warn 9,000lb winch and procomp black series 100w offroad lights, trail-gear rear bumper, borla exhaust, blacked out factory wheels, shovel mounted on roof rack, de-mudflaped
    I have the manuel hubs, oh and i know the truetrac isnt a true locker but i have one in the rear and since its a gear type lsd there are no clutches to slip so u never get into a situation where only one wheel pulls no matter how kinked up the truck is, pretty much a road friendly, non selectable locker imo

lower your 4x4 likes this.
  5. Jul 14, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    98fourbangertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    Yea i am pleased with just the truetrac in the rear and its a major improvement over stock but i think it would be sweet to have that same setup up front too. Just looked at your profile lrgrnr, nice to see a second gen with straight drive, autos are boring, no effience guys

6. Jul 14, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    well the reason why non selectable lockers aren't recommended in ADD diffs is because everything up front is still spinning even in 2wd. with manual hubs that isn't a problem.

just remember your front diff isn't the same size as your rear...it's 7.5" RG 27 spline

7. Jul 14, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    98fourbangertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    Yea i know they arnt the same cause the front is ifs but i havnt gotten around to looking into what it was exactly casuse im still waiting for some money to fall out of the sky and then im orderin the truetrac, haha, ill get one on order here sometime soon

8. Mar 13, 2014 at 3:29 PM
    TEX82Trooper

TEX82Trooper Outdoor Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Las Cruces,NM
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport camping & hunting rig.
    mild lift (3 inch?) of unknown origin (truck was bought used),much more to come.Self-fabbed rock-rails.
    I have been looking at putting a TrueTrac L/S in the front of my truck as well so I'm going to bump this and ask how the install went and how you like it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  9. Mar 13, 2014 at 9:55 PM
    Dj318

Dj318 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma
    bilstein 5100, wheelers AAL, Trail gear bumper, SOS sliders, RAT skids, 35" Mtr/k
  10. Mar 14, 2014 at 1:04 PM
    dispatch55126

dispatch55126 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtracab SR5
    Complete OME kit w/ 881's and dakars. All-Pro Sliders, CB, HAM Radio and various other minor stuff.
    Ran a Trutrac in the front diff of my TJ (Dana 30) without manual hubs or any form of axle disconnect without any issues on or off road. I don't know enough about the Tacoma IFS with ADD but it can be done safely on a solid live axle.

11. Mar 14, 2014 at 1:44 PM
    Dj318

Dj318 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma
    bilstein 5100, wheelers AAL, Trail gear bumper, SOS sliders, RAT skids, 35" Mtr/k
    This guy hasn't been on in 5 months so I'm gonna go ahead and say we aren't getting any response from the op! but would love to hear if anyone has successfully put a limited slip in the front? and just how good are limited slips compared to a selectable locker?

12. Mar 17, 2014 at 8:17 AM
    TEX82Trooper

TEX82Trooper Outdoor Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Las Cruces,NM
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport camping & hunting rig.
    mild lift (3 inch?) of unknown origin (truck was bought used),much more to come.Self-fabbed rock-rails.
    Disclaimer: This is all my opinion, your's may differ.:D

Well, a L/S cannot compare to a locker of any sort, auto or selectable, but are leaps & bounds above an open diff if the driver knows the limitations of the diff & his rig. A locker will almost always be better except in certain situations such as ice. Some people don't even like a L/S in a street-driven truck because of their worries of erratic handling characteristics (which I have never experienced) on slick pavement. Right now,for me it's my budget dictating my options, likely a Detroit out back and a L/S (True-trac) in the front. A True-Trac should work great up front.

I have run L/S in several vehicles, from a '72 Z-28 to my current Tacoma, I will add that the BEST L/S diffs are the true mechanical types, Not the R2-D2/computer controlled brake biasing systems. I have also run Detroit Lockers front & rear in 2 different on-road/trail run Jeeps with no problems. Sure there was a bit of clacking on tight slow turns, such as into a parking spot on pavement, but I simply got used to it.I have never had a locker act in such a way on pavement that I was fearful of my safety. I have to think that the longer wheelbase & weight of the Tacoma, as well as an auto transmission will go a long way to cancelling out the bad road manners of a locker on the road. Up front, I see NO issues with running a L/S, as it will be an improvement over the open diff.

If it were in my budget I'd go ARB's all the way, but it isn't so I will go with the second best (IMO) option of a ADD rear diff & a L/S in the front using common sense and not driving like an 18 year old maniac on the street.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  13. Mar 17, 2014 at 1:20 PM
    License2Ill

License2Ill Woke like a Coma Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    It's a dry heat thou, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2004 SC'd 5VZ DC 5spd 4x4 TRD.GOV
    Bailing wire & Duct tape
    I have a tru-trac up front with manual hubs. I cant mention the install, because it came on the truck. But from going from a tacoma w/o the l/s to one with, it took a little getting used to. Really the only issue is a pull-straight-ahead feel. Basically if youre going into a turn with both hubs locked the steering will be slightly fighting you to go straight. The tires like to return to the neutral position. It was annoying at first but now i dont even notice anymore.

14. Sep 19, 2018 at 6:26 AM
    hotrod4787

hotrod4787 Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Taco Double Cab Long Bed 4x4
    Weathertech floor mats HID 6000K hi/lo 3000k fog
    Anyone know the size or p/n needed for a truetrac in the front diff for a 2010?

15. Sep 19, 2018 at 6:32 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    They don't make it. If they did, I'd have it. Only thing made is air locker, e-locker, and auto locker(lokka).

Crow_of_judgement likes this.
  16. Sep 19, 2018 at 8:19 AM
    hotrod4787

hotrod4787 Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, Chris. Do you know how the front diff is classified for a 2010? 8", 8.4", 7.6"... etc. Do you have any links or p/ns for front carrier replacement, air locker or whatever?

17. Sep 19, 2018 at 8:22 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
  18. Sep 19, 2018 at 8:24 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    From 2005 to 2015 Tacomas, it is an 8" front clamshell. Check out ECGS for the air and E lockers, and Lokka for the auto locker. For the front, a selectable locker is best.

BassAckwards likes this.
  19. Sep 19, 2018 at 8:34 AM
    hotrod4787

hotrod4787 Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  20. Sep 19, 2018 at 9:27 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Lots of people have put LSDs and lockers in their front diffs. Search around, you'll find tons of info.

Products Discussed in

To Top