1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trying to paint my wheels....help!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Maple85, May 21, 2009.

1. May 21, 2009 at 6:14 PM
    Maple85

Maple85 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland Oregon
    Lots to come at some point. Hopefully soon.
    So I got the stock TRD wheels and i'm going to paint them black. I'm trying to find the best paint for this. I like a semi-gloss look. I just bought two cans of Rust-Oleum Auto Primer and then got two cans of Rust-Oleum High Heat Ultra with semi gloss sheen. I'm not sure if the high heat Rust-Oleum is the correct paint:confused: Anybody have any recommendations for black paint?

2. May 21, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    I used rustoleum textured finish. i didnt use any primer or the high heat stuff. I heard bad stuff from the high heat. The stuff i got is great, they have been done for about 6 months now and no real damage except for around the lug nuts from the dealership rotating my tires :/ but besides that it holds up great.

3. May 22, 2009 at 7:13 AM
    FL Forester

FL Forester Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner
    I used the Rustoleum Hammered black on mine. I wet sanded with 600 first. Wiped down with Denatured Alcohol to remove grease and grime. Painted with a flat black first (because I wanted the backside to be black as well). Then 2 coats of the Hammered Black. Turned out great. The guys at the tire shop were amazed.

4. May 22, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...You didn't need the high heat paint. It shouldn't hurt tho.

Duplicolor makes a Satin Black auto spray paint that has worked great on my tires. Any reputable brand of paint you throw on there should do the trick. Mine need touched up but it's from offroading and what not.

5. May 22, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    plmber58

plmber58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner sr5 package Pyrite Mica color
    BLU Logic, Ipod interface, storage lock box for existing storage area, debadged, new color grill, wet okole seat covers, coming a Kenwood DNX6140 radio head unit, and a Protecta bed mat
  6. May 22, 2009 at 10:21 AM
    Kenny650

Kenny650 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wouldn't spray paint on wheels chip off really easily though?

7. May 22, 2009 at 10:22 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Not much worse than any other kind of paint. It's not QUITE as durable...but it's also easier to touch up.

8. May 22, 2009 at 10:47 AM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    do a search on the forum. there are a lot of threads about painting rims with pictures and what works best.

9. May 22, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    I used the hammerd black also. it looks awesome. The stuff stands up really really well. Better than i thought. i just took one of those green scrub pads and scubbed it with soapy water than dried it and hit it again with a dry scrub pad to ruff everything up and than washed it off one last time and the paint stuck fine.

Products Discussed in

To Top