1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB Alignment?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sdnicker2000, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Mar 17, 2009 at 2:30 PM
    sdnicker2000

sdnicker2000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Mostly Stock 08 TRD Sport
    Rear spring TSB, Fumoto Valve, No A/C on defrost mod., tailgate theft mod.
    Sorry to start yet another thread about the rear spring TSB. I have searched (and read many, many, many threads) but can't seem to find the answer.
    I am getting the TSB done at my dealer on Friday. I asked how long it would take and he answered "About 3 hrs. maybe a little more." I said wow that is pretty fast with the alignment and all.
    He replied "The TRD packaged trucks do not require the re-alignment".
    Am I reading the TSB wrong? I understand it doesn't come with the front shocks; however, it appears to me they DO require an alignment. So am I smoking crack or is he?

2. Mar 17, 2009 at 2:57 PM
    lasllc

lasllc Wait. . what’s wrong here

Member:
    Southwest RedRocks
    Vehicle:
    13 SuperWhite DCSB Sport TRD
    SnugTop Super Sport, BedRug mat, Redline Tuning hood lifts, LED interior lights, 3D carpet protectors.
    Page six of the TSB, and I quote :
    "An alignment inspection and adjustment is required after the installation of the new rear leaf springs. The NEW alignment specifications are provided below."

What follows that is a detailed alignment inspection procerdure and adjustment specifications for every VDS involved.

What is not made clear in the text is weather the "NEW alignment specifications" called out in the charts that follow on to page 16 are actually new requirements BECAUSE of the springs or are a revision to the specs but dont really change anything from the previous specs.

ANYWAY, the Dealer IS REQUIRED BY THE TSB to do an inspection and redjustment to the NEW specs listed in the TSB.

Now, it may be, that your dealers experience is that no adjustments are needed, generally, but they are still REQUIRED to put it on the rack and check the settings.

PS: I am getting mine done tomarrow and changing to 5100's in front to level on Fri then getting a free alignment on Sat as the dealer said Bring it in on Sat we will align the whole works based on the TSB alignment requirement.

Also, I will be posting measurements (full fuel, Leer topper, measured frome axel centerline to underside of fender), before TSB, after TSB but before front shocks and after all work is done. Just in case any one is interested.

3. Mar 17, 2009 at 3:01 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    They didn't do the alignment on my Non-TRD and my front tires went bald on the inside. I bitched and bitched and they replaced my front tires and did an alignment.

4. Mar 17, 2009 at 3:18 PM
    sdnicker2000

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys. That is how I read it also. And I doubt that it is "my dealer's experience that no adjustment's are needed" because he said he had never heard of this TSB and that I was the first to have it done there. This is a small dealership in a small town. Town of 20,000 and the dealer maybe has 20 cars on the lot. That being said, he has been very helpful and even argued (heard it on the phone) with Toyota when they said my pickup did not need the TSB as there was nothing wrong with it. Hope he is as helpful about doing the alignment as he has been about doing the TSB. Then again, I could use some new tires. HAHA

5. Mar 17, 2009 at 3:34 PM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    The guy at the service counter said that they didn't have to do the alignment on my TRD truck when I dropped it off, but the mechanic obviously read the TSB and performed the alignment when they put the springs on, as it was listed in the paperwork they gave me.

6. Mar 20, 2009 at 4:06 PM
    sdnicker2000

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Well I got the TSB done today. When I took the truck to them this morning I asked about the alignment again. The shop manager said "Oh yeah your truck will have to have an alignment done. We will take it Firestone to get it done because we don't have the equipment to do it." So I don't know if he re-read the TSB or what but it's done and I would recommend everyone else to get it done if you haven't already.

7. Mar 20, 2009 at 4:35 PM
    choptop

choptop Molōn labe!

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner TEP
    Sweet. :thumbsup:

I'm on cue for the TSB in a week or two, approved this morning- waiting on parts.

Products Discussed in

To Top